Knife And Knife Sharpening Advice

there isa bit of a knack using a stone to put an edge on a blade as bm says if you dont get it right you do more harm than good.most of the time when the edge goes offf a knife and it feels blunt all that has happened is the edge as turned over.you can even turn te edge over with a steel if not used correctly.next time you get a knife that feels a bit dull (blunt) run the blade down a hard piece of wood or a piece of plastic and you will see a massive difference in the blade.i was a slaughterman for nearly 40 years and in that game you need sharp knives.its easy to sharpen a knife keeping an edge on it is the hard bit

This happened to me on my first ever go on our kitchen knife. I figured it out over time - but yes, this can and does happen during the learning curve. Consistency in the angle appears to be key.

• Like 1

the reason most people turn the blade over is they are trying to get them too sharp (rubbing it too fine is what we called it).i was allways taught to rub a knife as flat to the stone as possible and then it will keep its edge longer.if you rub them at too much of an angle you create what is called a shoulder on the blade and it soon goes dull

• Like 1