Me and a mate have been given the opportunity to sort out a large old disused pheasant pen on a former shoot and re-stock it, mainly to use as a training pen for the dogs, but with the possibility of trickling the birds out into the surrounding woods and shooting a few over them, all being well. The actual pen is quite uptogether, even still has electric fence round it, but an area of it is SERIOUSLY overgrown with nettles- like they're taller than head hight, and thick as feck.

Can these be sprayed off to any great effect? If so,with what, and how long before putting birds in should we do it?

If we've got to hack them all out, it's going to take a hell of a lot of work?!!

Why do you want too? I'm imaging a great bit of cover from flying vermin. You'll be amazed how quick the birds strip it anyway.

Or is there an issue with getting around the pen, if so burst a few rides in it with a strimmer.

• Like 3

just my opinion nettles have no use in pens , get some roundup and get rid , other things will grow and through some wild grass seeds down

Bit late for that now. Think I'd rather have cover than it being bare.

• Like 2

Use grazon, it's mustard on nettles, you can see them wilting as you spray it on and it only kills nettles, thistles and docks.

What about brambles? Not for a release pen but area where brambles have been cleared and new shoots are coming through

Use grazon, it's mustard on nettles, you can see them wilting as you spray it on and it only kills nettles, thistles and docks.

What about brambles? Not for a release pen but area where brambles have been cleared and new shoots are coming through

Yes mate it does them aswell. You need a Cph number to buy it but it really does work.

Yes mate it does them aswell. You need a Cph number to buy it but it really does work.

Yeah looking for something to get the new shoots down on an old yard where it's all gravel but brambles and weeds starting to come back through have t got the Cph tho but relatives who have for work

Have you got any rabbits or goats of anything? If so, scythe em down and let them dry, they make top class feed for winter. I cut and dry em every year, been doing it this afternoon in fact ;)

If not scythe em down anyway and let them compost where they fall. The birds will love scratching them over.

Why do you want too? I'm imaging a great bit of cover from flying vermin. You'll be amazed how quick the birds strip it anyway.

Or is there an issue with getting around the pen, if so burst a few rides in it with a strimmer.

Best advice. Provide cover and tons of insects. Our pen is full of em.

• Like 1

I,d want them in my pen providing cover and insect live ,as said above

We just STRIM up around water and Fedders a maybe a little more.leave the rest its will be flat and trampled in week's

• Like 1

I,d want them in my pen providing cover and insect live ,as said above

We just STRIM up around water and Fedders a maybe a little more.leave the rest its will be flat and trampled in week's

What he said.

• 1 month later...