Deer Dogs

My old lad was brialliant at deer, only ever took roe Munties or fallow as we never came across anything else, would be a pain in the arse out walking as he just pull them down , slipped him on a fox one afternoon many years ago and he ran it into a wood heard him catch on the other side ran though the wood and he's got hold of a fallow doe he stands at around 25 to the shoulder breeding never been sure of a bitza lurcher through and through Defoe deerhound and big saluki like ears but he resembles most crosses in a lurcher

Pre ban story forgot to add

Edited by CushtyJook

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The litter I bred, bull/grey x coursing dog Might have been decent if this ban wasn't in place. But I wouldn't have said you NEED bull to make decent deer dogs. Getting them the quarry regular is th

There are deer dog`s & there are dog`s that take deer, the difference is in the mental attitude of the dog to get the job over quickly whether that be in the open or woodland. Most dog`s will take

There's nothing hard about catching roe if the dogs fast fit and willing to take them it's usually game over for the deer.

Posted Images

I baught a black dog called bob from a traveller in Hertford a long time ago, about 25 inch, a little bit nuts, slipped him on a daytime hare, a bit of an optimistic slip but hey! He put in a couple of good strikes, but the hare got to cover! Gutted, bob presumed the hare & all you could hear was him going through the cover, then nothing! We lost him for what seemed 20-30 mins, so we decided to walk to an area of cover where it thaught I'd seen a bit of movement, low & behold a fresh roe doe, dead, with a tell tale injury to the neck! But no bob!? We called & called, & eventually found him chilling out next to my Citroen Picasso, chilling out lol, now the funniest part of this story is, I had to get ridd of bob as I just didn't trust him, he'd look at a cow, & want to run it, & he used to chew everything in sight, even the back seat of my mrs Picasso, (when he was in the boot out lumping!) we part exchanged the Picasso for a different car, & the dealer never looked in the boot! Lol the back of the rear seats were fooked!

3/4grey 1/4 saluki ultimate deer dog or 3/4 grey 1/4 bull

Im not trying to piss on your chips but I doubt very much that a 3/4 grey 1/4 bull would of been the ultimate deer dog ....

I love Bulllurchers but I agree with you there. Ive caught them with 3/4 greys but not consistantly and not a 100%, by that I mean the Roe has usually made a mistake and the dog has capitalized on it. Thats not really a true catch for me. If you want to catch Roe you need a good Hare dog.

• Like 1

The litter I bred, bull/grey x coursing dog Might have been decent if this ban wasn't in place. But I wouldn't have said you NEED bull to make decent deer dogs.

Getting them the quarry regular is the biggest need imho

• Like 11

My bitch's line was very good deer/hare dogs before ban :) Catch in open or in woods. I think if any good they should be able to catch them in any situation. Day or night. Wood or field. Also ran with a coursing bitch that great in forestry and fields. For woods they dont always catch first attempt that where good nose and tracker comes in. Only problem in the woods is skin tears i found. Cant beat catching them mid stride in field tho.

• Like 1

surprised there ent more people saying stuff with deerhound in

Too tall, can't turn, not fast enough and brainless, and their feet are too big, oh yeah, almost forgot! Not enough bottle either lol 8)

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 4

Round my way there was a lad who ran a bull cross that did them for fun nighttime in the end he only ran the dog on deer during the day there wasn't many deer that escaped if the dog was on there case.if I remember right the dog was a racy type about 25tts 75lb and really loved Bambi's.I wouldn't consider any other dog than bull cross for the land round me if deer were legal again.

• Like 1