• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had a day of fishing yesterday on a large stillwater that hasn't really been coarse fished much before. I targeted perch with a variety of soft lures and ended with four, the biggest was 3lb 8 ozs a

Pic of pic not the best quality

Posted Images

Look's like my name is going in the prince A pot, as for the lures i will put a pic up of them you might know the name of them.

Might aswell get your name down for them , its well worth joining for the amount of waters they have , something like 270-280 and growing . The only downside is having to go to macclesfield to get your ticket and listen to a talk for an hour or 2 . Stick some pics up and ill see if i can tell you what they are , cant promise because a lot of plastics and crankbaits are copies of each other , ill do my best though

Can't sort a pic mate but they are crank n shad crankbaits, went on his site for the name, he does a few surface crawlers that will be costing me a few quid as i like the look of them and i have never used a surface lure, it look's exciting stuff, had them take on top as i'm lifting and that be a shock so i will hope to have a few that way for a change.

Can't sort a pic mate but they are crank n shad crankbaits, went on his site for the name, he does a few surface crawlers that will be costing me a few quid as i like the look of them and i have never used a surface lure, it look's exciting stuff, had them take on top as i'm lifting and that be a shock so i will hope to have a few that way for a change.

If you have any big s type lures or the crank n shads will probably do it , you can use them as surface/wake bait lures by keeping the rod tip pointing upwards and either reeling in slowly or flicking your tip upwards . You will get a fair number of missed hits but it's good when they bow wave behind your lure or just fly out the water when you least expect it . I've seen them surface crawlers , they look good , I bet they'd do well down the edges of the canal and near cover

• Like 1

When all else fails put a big s on, i was told that a while ago and it has worked a few times, i think most have a big s or something similar.

One of the first decent pike I caught on a lure was on a big s on Kearns in accy . I stupidly gave all my original big s away years ago and the newer ones are not the same . I do have bomber shallow A and square A and rapala dt4 though , which are pretty much the same type of lures and catch plenty of pike when I do get round to using them

• Like 1

The newer big s are not the same your right, i only have the newer ones now, but i have caught a few times on them like most thing's they save money and use cheap plastic or what ever it is, i have a few creek chub pikie's that are jointed and about 20cm or more, i used to love the smaller one's not jointed, i have 6 that i bought of someone but they have never got wet, they will this year, again not the same as the older type but we will see what they can do later in the year.

• Like 1

Dont know why companys do this , surely after people have clicked they are not the same and stop buying them then the manufacturing savings they made will start going the other way and they are no longer players in the lure market . Ive not got any pikies , i tend to use dawgs and eel type baits and jerkbaits if im using big stuff . The only biggish cranks ive got are the 19cm sg lowriders and lip lures . My mate has a few big pikies that hes had a few on and i think the record was took on a pikie

Never used bulldawgs but I do have springdawgs that have never got wet, I think I need to try a few of the bigger lures this year I have got a few sg freestylers I think there called that are big, you have got me started now mate, I need to get out and no work till tuesday.

• Like 2

Agm do some big 10 inch pike grubs for next to nothing . You need to rig them yourself with either a jig head or like i do with an homemade harness so they can be fished in the shallowest water without snagging on weed/rocks. Theres a vid on youtube of phill blakely showing how to make the harness for real eels , its the same process for the agm ones . If you see the savage gear alien eels for sale pass on them , they are not a patch on dawgs they are too stiff of a plastic and need to be worked fast to get the tail action working properly. The freestylers can be worked as a surface lure if you put the rear treble on the front and clip your trace on where the rear treble was. The belly up was my favourite sg jerkbait but for some reason they stopped doing the bigger size i them . Im not busy today either so ill be out later on today

• Like 1

I have seen the phil blakely vid and a few more of his, ok vid's and he show's you how he goes about thing's, seem's like a good fella (not gangster :laugh: ) i have also seen the big grub's and thought that they must be similar to an eel in the water, what size jig head would you use with them neil, i think i could sort out the harness by following phil's vid but i'm crap working out hook size i need on jig head's, usually learn that by mistake first and then work out the size, cheer's for the tip on the freestyler, i will try that out, i have never used the bigger lures but i will now give them a go, hope you had a few today mate, cheer's.

• Like 1

His videos are pretty good . River piker has a lot of good ul and jerk bait videos as well there's also a lad called the Scouse angler who does vids round your way . The harness is not too hard to do , if you have some of the round nose pliers to form the eyes for the hook hangers . I don't use the welding rods phill uses , I use the 340lb AFW stainless single strand wire from rok max . I also use the same in 174lb for jerkbait traces . If your going with jig heads for them , something like 7/0 - 8/0 would probably be enough . If you've not used big stuff before don't make the mistake of fishing too light . Braid in the 65 - 100lb range and solid 174lb stainless traces . If your near Taskers they do savage gear ready made traces but last time I was in there they didn't have heavy power pro braid but they are probably the best shop up north for lure fisherman and way better than carters. Didn't end up fishing yesterday , when I got there the canal was full of bits of floating weed and shit that would of made it a pain to keep it from catching the line and working its way down clogging the lure up

I have used the solid traces for a few years now and they're good. I still have the original ones I bought. They are miles better than wire IMO. Obviously, I use them on my heavy rod, with 80lb braid and ABU multiplier...

• Like 1