Last Gasp Moles

Doesn't matter to you agricultural mole trappers but this is for us garden jobbers.

Its always nice to lift the first trap and have a result, but how many of you have done the rounds, with your client watching, inspecting trap after trap with nothing to show for it, making light of the fact and telling them that you aren't bothered because you are sure that the mole will be trapped whilst getting secretly more and more wound up as each empty trap is inspected? Stressful isn't it? You know that you will have caught because of the fresh molehills that were there when you started and the empty, undisturbed traps and lack of fresh tumps are a sure sign that the moles are dead. But until you get that body you can never be sure. And neither can the client.

I got to a job today. Nine traps out and nothing in the first seven. Then I found a cover that had been moved by their dog so the eighth trap was somewhere else, and pressing on, sweating like a pig to the last trap only to find both loops up and a double to save the day. Can it get any better than that? Well, yes. I eventually found the missing trap with another victim in it :D

I reckon we mole trappers should get counselling :laugh:

• Like 7

i remember a new job, (while ago now) where the customer came round with me, on the first trap check.As you say, pressure is always on a bit, to produce a capture ? lol Anyway between the size of the area, and the amount of hills (alot), i guessed it might only be the one mole, but i also wouldnt be surprised if it ended up 2 or 3 ? (cause of the amount of activity,mainly) so on this occasion, i put out three sets of traplines,.....so started to pull them up,....nothing, in the first five ! lol Lifted the last,with a mole in it,......big relief there,....ho ho Nothing worse if you get nowt, with the customer standing there watching. lol

Edited by earth-thrower
  • Like 1

The best thing is seeing vole holes as soon as you get their...

And the worst thing is finding a double sprung, soil filled Duffus as soon as you get there :laugh:

Especially, if your the type (like me), who prefers to only set one trap, for what you think, may be one mole ? ha ha

NP Your dead right....It seems to be the jobs when the client wants to follow you that traps are empty. Its a scary time, as I silently pray/hope that the mole will be found.

After all, it does not matter about previous jobs, how highly recommended you are, costs etc, the client expects results and as the professional you need to deliver every time

• Like 1

And the worst thing is finding a double sprung, soil filled Duffus as soon as you get there :laugh:

Especially, if your the type (like me), who prefers to only set one trap, for what you think, may be one mole ? ha ha

In my garden or in friend's gardens I do just that. I'm sure that there is only one mole as I've already cleared them out, and I have so much faith in Putanges that I'll just pop in a pair and collect the body next day. But in client's gardens I can never be sure. One example produced a single mole twice, around a year apart, then thirteen next time around. Farmer next door had done a deep plough. Because I guarantee to clear the problem I'd rather over trap than return after my scheduled three visits. I can usually tell on the second visit what the situation is and adjust accordingly.

In my garden or in friend's gardens I do just that. I'm sure that there is only one mole as I've already cleared them out, and I have so much faith in Putanges that I'll just pop in a pair and collect the body next day. But in client's gardens I can never be sure. One example produced a single mole twice, around a year apart, then thirteen next time around. Farmer next door had done a deep plough. Because I guarantee to clear the problem I'd rather over trap than return after my scheduled three visits. I can usually tell on the second visit what the situation is and adjust accordingly.

I follow you mate,and i dont claim that setting one 'half -barrel', per mole, is ideal ?,....but ive never been one either, to 'flood' an area out,with traps,....just to be sure, of a capture.Personally, ive found once your experienced, one (or at most two, duffus, per mole) should do.As long as the trap is adjusted correctly,and its installed in the run properly,you shouldnt have much trouble. lol As youve expressed, the tricky part is estimating the amount of moles, you expect to get ! lol

Edited by earth-thrower
  • Like 1

In most cases I work on the principle that I'm not only trapping the client's moles I'm often trapping the neighbour's moles too. Because of the distances I travel I reckon it is better to spend a bit longer putting in extra traps than travel back to sort out a re-infestation. But once I've cleared the site if they want me to keep it mole free I just use two trap sites with a pair of Putanges in each site and pop in to check them whenever I'm passing. That will keep a one acre garden almost molehill free all year round.

I follow you mate,and i dont claim that setting one 'half -barrel', per mole, is ideal ?,....but ive never been one either, to 'flood' an area out,with traps,....just to be sure, of a capture.Personally, ive found once your experienced, one (or at most two, duffus, per mole) should do.As long as the trap is adjusted correctly,and its installed in the run properly,you shouldnt have much trouble. lol As youve expressed, the tricky part is estimating the amount of moles, you expect to get ! lol

How many traps I use will depend on how many miles travel it is? the further to travel the more traps just in case, the 2 or 3 dont catch

• Like 1

Had 1 the other week, only a tiny garden with a bit of grass and beds, a lot of tunnels had water in them being a bit of clay there's do loads of rubble in the others. Bloody nightmare set all with her watching. Set 5 traps. Next visit she followed me round and not 1 sprung! Still a bit of movement but not much, Felt an inch tall!

Hunted high and low and found a couple more runs and popped 3 more in. Next visit she wasn't there and bugger me there's 2 in the traps on opposite sides of the garden! No more movement Happy me and customer!

Some sets I walk away and am certain there's a mole there next visit, others just don't feel right and there's not a mole next time. Like the pub garden I set in the same week, 3 traps and 2 moles. Job jobbed.

Funny ole game moleing!

• Like 2

Had 1 the other week, only a tiny garden with a bit of grass and beds, a lot of tunnels had water in them being a bit of clay there's do loads of rubble in the others. Bloody nightmare set all with her watching. Set 5 traps. Next visit she followed me round and not 1 sprung! Still a bit of movement but not much, Felt an inch tall!

Hunted high and low and found a couple more runs and popped 3 more in. Next visit she wasn't there and bugger me there's 2 in the traps on opposite sides of the garden! No more movement Happy me and customer!

Some sets I walk away and am certain there's a mole there next visit, others just don't feel right and there's not a mole next time. Like the pub garden I set in the same week, 3 traps and 2 moles. Job jobbed.

Funny ole game moleing!

It certainly is a fun ol game catching the mole