Pet Passport ?

Hello THL members. I have a question and would appreciate the input of anyone with experience on the matter. I will be travelling from UK to Republic of Ireland by car via Stranraer ferry soon and taking a terrier with me. I have just gone ahead and booked everything without giving a second thought about restrictions regarding crossing EU borders. However I was just checking my route online and came across the issue of a Pet passport. Delved a bit more into it and the general opinion seems to be that 1 in required technically but no checks are carried out. I am more concerned about the actual ferry crossing rather than driving over the border from north to south. Has anyone made the trip with a dog recently ? I don't have passport for the dog and have read that the rabies vaccine must be given more than 21 days prior to journey, travelling on 7th of June so wont be able to comply.

Another example of how far behind the times I am now regarding present the dog game and before anyone else says it, I'm a knacker !

Your dog will need a rabi jab. Micro chipped and a passport. And also a vet check 48hour be for traveling. Im waiting on some hounds to come over next month and all above has been carried out.

Phone vet and they will tell you the same. Cwn-hela

Your dog will need a rabi jab. Micro chipped and a passport. And also a vet check 48hour be for traveling. Im waiting on some hounds to come over next month and all above has been carried out.

Phone vet and they will tell you the same. Cwn-hela

i had no problem from the north,

I'm not to sure but I don't think it's a prob leaving UK it's getting them back in that's the prob

That's a worry. The dog's chipped but not had booster jab for a couple of years due to a silly little lass in a white coat ( the people who pass as vets these days ), sticking a thermometer up his arse without any warning the last time he was there. Now he wont allow a vet to near him. The only thing on the planet that he's scared of. If it had not been for that I would just get the passport. Thanks for everyone's input. I've got over a week left and will try and sort something.

I thought I was doing the right thing. Travelling over for family reasons. Everyone else is flying but I wont leave the dog so thought I'd just drive over and meet them there. Nowt's easy these days is it ? My fault, should of done my research earlier. Thanks for everyone's input. Cheers.

Thank you to everyone who posted. After looking into the subject there seems to be a few grey areas and confusion. I have come to the conclusion that obtaining a Pet Passport is the best way to avoid breaking any laws for simplicity. However my understanding of the present rules are :

From Mainland Britain to N.I, no passport required.

From N.I. to R.O.I no passport required. E.U. ruling says that a PP is required as the animal is moving from one E.U. state to another but apparently common sense has prevailed and N.I and R.O.I agreed not to enforce this. I don't know for sure.

From N.I. to Mainland Britain via R.O.I a PP required.

From R.O.I. to Mainland PP required.

From Mainland to R.O.I PP required.

Nothing that I have come across mentions Mainland to N.I. to R.O.I then back to N.I. then back to Mainland but I would imagine a " job's worth " would cause problems if he has had a bad day.

The above relates to pet animals being transported in private vehicles. Different rules seem to apply regarding business'.

Anyway, I will be raising a glass to the aud fella with the dog by my side soon enough no matter what. Thanks again lads.

Thank you to everyone who posted. After looking into the subject there seems to be a few grey areas and confusion. I have come to the conclusion that obtaining a Pet Passport is the best way to avoid breaking any laws for simplicity. However my understanding of the present rules are :

From Mainland Britain to N.I, no passport required.

From N.I. to R.O.I no passport required. E.U. ruling says that a PP is required as the animal is moving from one E.U. state to another but apparently common sense has prevailed and N.I and R.O.I agreed not to enforce this. I don't know for sure.

From N.I. to Mainland Britain via R.O.I a PP required.

From R.O.I. to Mainland PP required.

From Mainland to R.O.I PP required.

Nothing that I have come across mentions Mainland to N.I. to R.O.I then back to N.I. then back to Mainland but I would imagine a " job's worth " would cause problems if he has had a bad day.

The above relates to pet animals being transported in private vehicles. Different rules seem to apply regarding business'.

Anyway, I will be raising a glass to the aud fella with the dog by my side soon enough no matter what. Thanks again lads.

went to wales 3 weeks ago with 3 dogs all had passports got stopped and checked all fine , dropped dogs off and was offered a 10 mth old dog which I couldn't refuse on the way back got stopped again checked van and waved on not even mentioning dog who had nothing what so ever , my own take on it is you would be fine with only one dog . ps I think the only reason I got stopped was the transit :hmm:

• 1 month later...

Just to update and conclude. The trip from England to the Republic with a dog presented no problems. Ferry staff paid no interest in the dog other than the usual amusement at a terrier sticking his head out of the window and enjoying the attension. In both directions. Crossing the boarder on land was only noticable by road sign change from MPH to KPH, exactly as had been writen by kind respondants to this topic.

As this is a terrier forum I would like to comment on something that surprised me. My destination was various locations in County Leitrim. The purpose of the visit was a family matter but I had never been there before. The family connection being a few generations back. Anyway, I got there eventualy with the dog that I refused to leave behind in the care of others.

He is nothing special to look at. White, approx 13" tall and about 18 Ib, smooth coat with a bully head. No bull in him for at least 30 years. A bit like Patterdale in type rather than a modern " Parson " Russell but a Russell he is. The thing is I could of sold him several times over just based on his looks ! He proved to be a good ice breaker as it turned out, especially in pubs.

The area I visited is a beautiful rural land. I would of expected a working stamp terrier to be common place. It wasn't though. That surprised me.