Air Rifle Hunting And Care Tips.

Sorry,crap joke...couldn't resist,really should have

I liked it! :laugh:

Mike may not understand it though so maybe you should explain?

Sorry for hijacking the thread airborne/mike,a while back an enthusiastic young lad appeared who was promptly shot down for a,attempting to teach those more learned to suck eggs and b,giving inaccurate advice(trying to be diplomatic here lads and not start another 4 pager!)an offer of a second first impression was made on his behalf by a respected member and all seemed well again,then he just disappeared without trace? Someone asked the other day what happened to him(which I suppose made me think of him?) Then you appeared with the opposite approach(him under cover??) and hence my crappy joke!! Edited by random
  • Like 1

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First tip is to shoot target first ,get to know your gun ,scope and pellets you are using and make sure you can get a group around about 15-20 mm at all distances   Test different pellets and find

Take Davys offer up , one of the best in the game and respected by many

It all worked it's self out! There's a new dive shop opened this week in Salisbury. I went for the middle ground and bought a 7L bottle with all the gubbins for £200. On my way to the dive shop to fi

Posted Images

Sorry,crap joke...couldn't resist,really should have

I liked it! :laugh:

Mike may not understand it though so maybe you should explain?

Sorry for hijacking the thread airborne/mike,a while back an enthusiastic young lad appeared who was promptly shot down for a,attempting to teach those more learned to suck eggs and b,giving inaccurate advice(trying to be diplomatic here lads and not start another 4 pager!)an offer of a second first impression was made on his behalf by a respected member and all seemed well again,then he just disappeared without trace? Someone asked the other day what happened to him(which I suppose made me think of him?) Then you appeared with the opposite approach(him under cover??) and hence my crappy joke!!

Stick with your day job and leave the jokes to others :laugh::laugh::thumbs:

Hi Mike and welcome here. You're no noob mate, just a chap needing proper guidance. You'll get that here, no problem. A bit of banter too, as you're already finding out.

Great choice of rifle you have, the Air Arms S410. Get yourself an air bottle to charge it, you'll do yourself in, trying to hand pump the thing all the time.

AIR ARMS FIELD .177 PELLETS.

These are a pellet type known as a "DIABLO" that is, it is a traditionally designed pellet with a "waist" and a round-headed ..head! These diablo round-head pellets are THE most extremely accurate of all types currently made and are perfect for hunting all airgun game/vermin. But there are lots of different makes of diablo pellets and not all will be accurate in your rifle.

Generally though, the Air Arms Field Diablo are very accurate in a lot of different rifles and your 410 is bound to be one of these, as they are made for your rifle. Get the pellet head-size right for your rifle-barrel and you'll find yourself capable of hitting a 5p size group at some impressive ranges. Air Arms make their diablo field pellets in different head sizes for both .177 and .22 calibres.

The two most popular head-sizes in .177 calibre ammo are either 4.51mm or 4.52mm with a weight of about 8.44 grain each. These are microscopically tiny differences but, your 410's barrel will deliver its optimum accuracy with one of them. The lands or spirals of the barrel are never precisely the same from one S410 rifle to the next, even though they are the exact same make and model and calibre. Hence the need for different head sizes that best-suit the microscopic differences in the barrel-spirals.

The rifle will be a lot different to what you are used to in the Armed Forces. You need a gentle, forgiving hold. Nothing tight or grippy but, as relaxed and unrestrictive as possible.

Shoot from a prone position making yourself as comfortable as possible and you'll find zeroing your scope and testing your pellets accuracy performances will become easier to accomplish.

You are intending to hunt with a .177 calibre rifle and that means you must focus all your shots on the head and brain of your intended target. Therefore, it is imperative that you train your shooting on hitting a target as small as a 2p piece at all ranges you can comfortably shoot to, with precision accuracy.

All the best for your new found sport Mike.

Simon/Pianoman

• Like 3

Hi Mike and welcome here. You're no noob mate, just a chap needing proper guidance. You'll get that here, no problem. A bit of banter too, as you're already finding out.

Great choice of rifle you have, the Air Arms S410. Get yourself an air bottle to charge it, you'll do yourself in, trying to hand pump the thing all the time.

AIR ARMS FIELD .177 PELLETS.

These are a pellet type known as a "DIABLO" that is, it is a traditionally designed pellet with a "waist" and a round-headed ..head! These diablo round-head pellets are THE most extremely accurate of all types currently made and are perfect for hunting all airgun game/vermin. But there are lots of different makes of diablo pellets and not all will be accurate in your rifle.

Generally though, the Air Arms Field Diablo are very accurate in a lot of different rifles and your 410 is bound to be one of these, as they are made for your rifle. Get the pellet head-size right for your rifle-barrel and you'll find yourself capable of hitting a 5p size group at some impressive ranges. Air Arms make their diablo field pellets in different head sizes for both .177 and .22 calibres.

The two most popular head-sizes in .177 calibre ammo are either 4.51mm or 4.52mm with a weight of about 8.44 grain each. These are microscopically tiny differences but, your 410's barrel will deliver its optimum accuracy with one of them. The lands or spirals of the barrel are never precisely the same from one S410 rifle to the next, even though they are the exact same make and model and calibre. Hence the need for different head sizes that best-suit the microscopic differences in the barrel-spirals.

The rifle will be a lot different to what you are used to in the Armed Forces. You need a gentle, forgiving hold. Nothing tight or grippy but, as relaxed and unrestrictive as possible.

Shoot from a prone position making yourself as comfortable as possible and you'll find zeroing your scope and testing your pellets accuracy performances will become easier to accomplish.

You are intending to hunt with a .177 calibre rifle and that means you must focus all your shots on the head and brain of your intended target. Therefore, it is imperative that you train your shooting on hitting a target as small as a 2p piece at all ranges you can comfortably shoot to, with precision accuracy.

All the best for your new found sport Mike.

Simon/Pianoman

Thanks for the tips bud, seems a friendly helpful forum.

The decision between bottle and pump may have been made for me. The nearest dive store is in near Portsmouth, over an hour away. I would like a tank that I can throw in a day sack and carry around with me whilst hunting, maybe a 4L. As I will be putting a lot of pellets through it to start off, zeroing, marking corrections at different ranges and making a wind chart for the different ranges, I think it's going to be more practical to get the pump to start with. Having just spent £1k+ on the rifle and accessories, I also can't really justify another big lump on a 12L tank on an army wage with a wife and 2 kids. That will have to wait a couple of month. At the same time, I'm too impatient to wait that long to shoot :) I spoke to the lady at greenfields in Salisbury and it appears a lot of people are going back to a pump due to the proximity of a compressor.

I'll get a bottle eventually (in a month or so) and keep the pump for out on the ground and have the bottle for taget shooting or if the car is close by. Unless any of you can think of a better solution?

Cheers again fellas.

Yeah mate, I'm based at Netheravon Airfield and the camp doesn't have anyone in it now, I'm in the process of getting permission from the CO to do a little rat and rabbit shooting around it, out of ours. Hopefully shouldn't be a problem. One of the guys I work with and myself, have permission, from a couple of farmers round here, to shoot pigeon with his shotguns, so I'm also gonna speak to him about hitting Rats and Rabits around his barns.

Should be some good hunting around a very large area.

Edited by Airborne3
  • Like 1

I had a little problem filling the rifle today. It got to around 150bar and then it started leaking air between the hose thread and AA adaptor. I only screwed the adaptor on hand tight, does it need to be put on with a spanner or should thumb tight be enough?

The airs not leaking out of the adaptor or the rifle, just where the hose attaches to the adaptor.

Edited by Airborne3

Mate I live in Salisbury, the nearest place to get a dive bottle from is Devises, the Wiltshire shooting club, it's only 30min they have a indoor tunnel range great for Wednesday afternoons, if you what I mean.

It's only about £6 membership and you get a free air gun fills, brews and the cost is reduced for the 30 min slot on the range, there is also a lot of kit for sale. The guy are very helpful too. I've only been going for a few months and the guys made me feel very welcome, also they are a RFD so you can also get weapon upgrades delivers there too, hope this helps

• Like 1

Sounds like a plan, cheers Fox.

I've been having a play around with the rifle, in the back garden. It's probably around 20 yards from firing point to the target, so I thought I'd site the weapon. To start with it was great! Small grouping of around 7-10mm and corrected the sight to get it in the center of the target. I reset the turrets, refilled the air to around 200bar and now the shots are dropping short by around 15-20 mm of my aiming point. No matter how many times I turn the elevation turret it won't go up, even to the point of the elevation turret at its maximum and won't allow me to turn it any more. Any ideas what has gone wrong? The sun was going down at this point and I wondered if the drop in temperature (which was significant) may have an effect, as it does with a normal round? I may be just clutching at straws with that one.

Edited by Airborne3