Air Rifle Hunting And Care Tips.

Thanks gentlemen, I'm looking forward to collecting my rifle on Monday and getting to grips with it. I may have to take you up on that offer Davy.

I'm just about to make a couple of purchases to go with the new rifle And thought I'd get your opinion before adding to basket.

I was looking at either a bottle or pump to fill it and due to there not being anywhere to fill the bottle for 30-40 min drive it looks like I will be going for a pump. I'm considering an FX 4 stage pump. Do any of you have one of these and will it be suitable for the S410? Also, will I need a specific adapter for the rifle or are they universal fitting?

My second question is, can anyone reccomended a silencer for the rifle?

Finally, I'm looking at AA diablo field pellets and there are two .177 types (different weight I'm assuming) are there any advamtages/ disadvantages to the two? Which would be better for shooting vermin? Is it personal preference?

Cheers again guys, much appreciated.

Edited by Airborne3

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First tip is to shoot target first ,get to know your gun ,scope and pellets you are using and make sure you can get a group around about 15-20 mm at all distances   Test different pellets and find

Take Davys offer up , one of the best in the game and respected by many

It all worked it's self out! There's a new dive shop opened this week in Salisbury. I went for the middle ground and bought a 7L bottle with all the gubbins for £200. On my way to the dive shop to fi

Posted Images

First off bud my hats off to you 16 years in the paras, my son has just join,d up and awaiting selection for 1 para

the twink or the marksman silencer are mint on the 410 very silent the marksman retails at £65 deliver,d and the twink £45 deliver,d the one in the photo is a marksman fitted to my s410

The marksman is a tad longer than a hw mod as seen in one of the photos but the twink is about an inch shorter but just as good

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

post-63400-0-86720400-1432820314_thumb.jpg

post-63400-0-38726400-1432820335_thumb.jpg

post-63400-0-16363700-1432820360.jpg

• Like 2

First off bud my hats off to you 16 years in the paras, my son has just join,d up and awaiting selection for 1 para

the twink or the marksman silencer are mint on the 410 very silent the marksman retails at £65 deliver,d and the twink £45 deliver,d the one in the photo is a marksman fitted to my s410

The marksman is a tad longer than a hw mod as seen in one of the photos but the twink is about an inch shorter but just as good

Nice gun Mac

• Like 1

Airborne

I go with Villaman on that. It doesn't matter how many filters you have on a pump you will still get moisture and small bits of debris picked up by the pump from the floor. I had a rifle tube full of crap when it was serviced hence the pump being floated to the bin.

Hope this helps and welcome. Good people on here with good advice

Cheers

Mike

The air arms mod that slips straight on is good and cheaper than most,(the q-tec is suppsosed to be even better)I agree on going for a bottle,lots of fills before a trip to the shop,as for general hunting advice that will be many pages and lots of reading to take in,I would advise getting tips on each quarry/outing as you go to keep it simple ish! Presumably you can stalk/hide and use a weapon so the specific and technical stuff ask as and when there are some very knowledgeable lads here and are more than helpful,welcome and happy hunting!

Your names not jairon is it?!?!?

• Like 1

Cheers fellas, I'll look into the bottle. Probably not the 12L the wife wouldn't be happy with that rolling around the house, with the kids chewing on the regulator. I'm also trying to keep the cost and weight down. As I will be mostly hunting rather than on the ranges, I want something I can throw in a day sack and top up as I'm tabbing around salisbury plain training area. A 4L will probably do. I've read (and heard) conflicting reviews on pumps, some people say they would never go back to bottles and have never had problems with moisture and debrit, others are exactly the oposite.

As for the the Silencer, that looks cool BigMac, I will add one to my order. Good luck to the lad and welcome him to the brotherhood.

• Like 1

The air arms mod that slips straight on is good and cheaper than most,(the q-tec is suppsosed to be even better)I agree on going for a bottle,lots of fills before a trip to the shop,as for general hunting advice that will be many pages and lots of reading to take in,I would advise getting tips on each quarry/outing as you go to keep it simple ish! Presumably you can stalk/hide and use a weapon so the specific and technical stuff ask as and when there are some very knowledgeable lads here and are more than helpful,welcome and happy hunting!

Your names not jairon is it?!?!?

Jairon? No mate, Mike French

Cheers fellas, I'll look into the bottle. Probably not the 12L the wife wouldn't be happy with that rolling around the house, with the kids chewing on the regulator. I'm also trying to keep the cost and weight down. As I will be mostly hunting rather than on the ranges, I want something I can throw in a day sack and top up as I'm tabbing around salisbury plain training area. A 4L will probably do. I've read (and heard) conflicting reviews on pumps, some people say they would never go back to bottles and have never had problems with moisture and debrit, others are exactly the oposite.

As for the the Silencer, that looks cool BigMac, I will add one to my order. Good luck to the lad and welcome him to the brotherhood.

I will do bud thanks

You will need an adapter for these silencers to fit

And as for hunting tips

Silence is your best friend

as you will have learned in the air born

BUT

Its a different ball game when hunting vermin , and rabbits have not got them big ears for nothing

SMELL

Make sure your not wearing any after shave or deodorant and make sure your hunting gear has not been washed in any conditioner of fabric freshener or soap powder and so on

as they will smell you before you see them if you see them

FIELD CRAFT

Learn it and learn it good every thing to do with it from storking to the land your shooting on

STORKING

When you see rabbits and you creep up on them learn to be the best see how near you can get before they run off

then try again once again silence will be the key hear

Boots

Yep boots i like them with soft soles but not to soft so when you place your foot down its next to silent

Land

Get to no your land even go with out your rifle and walk it in day light see where the pray are and the lay of the land get to no it like the back of your hand ie, natural hides over hanging trees sity trees and so on any thing that will help you when you do go hunting with your rifle

lamping or night shooting

A hole big different ball game(and why you need to no your land) sweep the fields with the lamp beam slowly and then back the same way as on the first sweep the rabbits may have there backs to you and may have turned round on the way back and the beam will light up there eyes red , green, blue and so on are the colors you can get i find that red works best but lamping to much will make them lamp shy

Roost shooting

Pigeons you can shoot as they come in to roost or in day light but not in the dark you can not lamp them in the trees its against the law

General license

just google it and it will help you no end as to what you can shoot and what not

YOUR RIFLE

Get to no your kit all of it the way it shoots, what pellets it likes , the way it feels and shoulders

air rifles are a lot different to what you have been used to shooting and you may think you no it all but you will not bud let me tell you an air rifle has a habit of kicking you in the teeth every now and again just to show you who is the boss i should no mine still dose lol

And as some of the lads have say,d set up some targets and get shooting until you can put a good grouping together size of a 5 pence piece its a must before you hunt i no you have been in the forces and you no how to shoot but just ask some of the lads on here who have been in the forces how hard they found it to shoot an air rifle and be good with it

Im not being disrespectful far from it

just some pointers for you and i hope its been of some help

the rest will come to you the more you get out

• Like 2

:) I'll see how that flys.

Yes that went straight over my head. Not a clue mate!

I also can't find an A&M Marksman on any sites I've looked at. Any idea where to buy one or are the no longer on sale? Second hand only?