About Books And The New Authors Nowadays.

Some people just cant take a joke .Lighten up mate ,youve passed the test part one so dont f**k up the rest .It makes no odds to me who you are ,honestly but steer away from assumptions about me .Mr Gripton may of been larger than life but i stick by the fact he was a private man who didnt suffer fools and had only a few true friends .You dont know me from Adam mate as i you but if you are on the level and im wrong i have no problem whatsoever in apologising .As for jealousy ,of what ,i dislike russels mate .

If you are the old school gent you come across as, youll soon sharpish learn to write a bit more forthright or get the piss taken .

Ps my folks are from Shap way back and i know a bit about the lakes and its people .

Sense of humour lacking a bit in wirralmans thread fd! ;)

• Like 1

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Because it is a proven fact.Bluck had borders a few year back and started a border terrier club of his own but that did not last very long and the club and registration fees went belly up.He then when

Over the years, advances in photography have changed what we expect in print. From old 35mm we had to take to the chemist (unless we had a special contact) to insta-matic pictures. Which were poor qua

Good to see Bert Gripton had the foresight to say such common sense and at a time when terrier work hadn't the pressure like it has today. Some of the older books Lucas and Pearse for example were ni

Lutra .....Whats your view on J.Darcys books .They are second only to Harcombe for me with Bluck a pitiful last behind even Plummer.The old books even though they hold historical value have no relevance to todays work im sure youll agree.Any pics of your Russels ?

Over the years, advances in photography have changed what we expect in print. From old 35mm we had to take to the chemist (unless we had a special contact) to insta-matic pictures. Which were poor quality, but saved on attracting any grief, unless your ego got the better of you. And now we have digital LSR's and camera phones. Its instant free to take pics, and no come back from the developer. And you wonder why recent publications show "more" and are more verbally graphic. ?

• Like 9

Also maybe books like Plummers showed very little digging or otherwise photos because he actually didn't do it enough. I always remember reading his book 'Merle' and he had photos of what looked like the same fox in different poses stood with his dog Merle and his slippers on lol, with the caption underneath 'Merle's 50th of the season' or something similar lmao.

• Like 4

Also maybe books like Plummers showed very little digging or otherwise photos because he actually didn't do it enough. I always remember reading his book 'Merle' and he had photos of what looked like the same fox in different poses stood with his dog Merle and his slippers on lol, with the caption underneath 'Merle's 50th of the season' or something similar lmao.

I was sucked in as a young lad, I was shocked when one of my dad's mates told me it was more than likely bullshit, it was on a par with finding out there was no santa! Haha......

• Like 8

I can state that Merle was never a fox dog as I know he was supplied with well over 50 foxes live and that dog never killed a one, but I had a lot of collie crosses bred down off him that would face anything so it shows you how fickle breeding can be,WM
  • Like 1

Sense of humour lacking a bit in wirralmans thread fd! ;)
Sence of humour fine mate ,when theres something funny .
everyone who passed that little dog laughed their head off and as soon as I seen him I thought of your wonder dogs, your paranoia is only exceeded by your arrogance and your need to deride anybody who may have more knowledge or experience than you,you constantly criticise the very men that your supposed line are built upon, it costs nothing to be polite and respectfull until you are sure who some one is or what they are about, you ask for photo:,s without you doing so yourself,you were duped by 2 woolybacks and taken for 40 rips by a pretender,astute your certainly not,carrotcruncher you definetly are,enjoy !!! Your life and stop taking yourself so seriously WM Edited by wirral countryman
  • Like 2

I remember david grayling advertrising in cumbria-lake district life mag my mate had some books of him. one old book although not terrier related i really enjoyed tales of bygone times was Gamecock and Countryman by RD Humber,

I remember as a kid having to order the book in at the library couldn't wait to read it and wasn't disappointed.
  • Like 1

"I keep myself to myself"...............there's a phrase I have heard and read many times over the years. Coming sometimes from guys in Mags, Books, winning or competing in the more higher profile Shows, Judging at big Shows, Travelling around the country digging, along with some who have pictures of Dogs all over here!........I think I do quite well keeping "myself to myself" ....lol. A bit like nobody has ever heard of 'The Dealer'....lmao.

• Like 5

I can state that Merle was never a fox dog as I know he was supplied with well over 50 foxes live and that dog never killed a one, but I had a lot of collie crosses bred down off him that would face anything so it shows you how fickle breeding can be,WM

snap,i had a bitch by him that was an excellent foxing bitch,worked with the terriers and would hunt up and run them in, also would cold mark them,she would also take them on the lamp.its a lot to do with the opportunities you give them and entering them in general.

• Like 1

"I keep myself to myself"...............there's a phrase I have heard and read many times over the years. Coming sometimes from guys in Mags, Books, winning or competing in the more higher profile Shows, Judging at big Shows, Travelling around the country digging, along with some who have pictures of Dogs all over here!........I think I do quite well keeping "myself to myself" ....lol. A bit like nobody has ever heard of 'The Dealer'....lmao.

Who is "The Dealer"?

• Like 1