About Books And The New Authors Nowadays.

For nearly 40 years I have possessed a profound interest and near obsession with Books of all kinds. But my main interests are somewhat directed to 1st editions,Antiquarian and out-of date Sporting titles. These include subjects on fox hunting, Big Game Hunting, Rare Bird Books, Falconry Books and of course Books on the Working terrier. Through my interests in Books I had the fortunate delight and pleasure in meeting several well known Book collectors and also Authors on various differing subjects. One of the big players in the game was a collector turned dealer called 'David Grayling' from a little place called Shap in Cumbria. Unfortunately David retired from selling Books and I think sold his business to a certain client of his. Through this particular site i'd like anyone with any experience to tell myself if they share my same interests in buying and collecting such titles or have ever bought Books from David Grayling? I'd delt with him for 30 years perhaps and he was one of the most knowledgable and genuine guys i've ever met. I have in my possession many noteworthy titles from him and i'd like to sincerely thank him for his valued advice and expertise over the years of myself buying Books from him. It is always a sad case when such giants like these retire. I wish him well for the future and I hope he manages to persue his other interests, (Field Sports) within his hopefully many remaining days.What do our readers think of so-called modern day Authors? To be brutally truthful some of the Books nowadays are not worthy of any mention and in particular some of the titles regarding Working terrier Books are not really of any value to our readers. Classics like the Lucas Book, Hunt and working terriers are in another league. I discovered long ago of certain titles by modern day Authors concerning Books on terriers that Iwould never buy for my collection. It is my shared opinion with my once greatfriend (Bert Gripton), that so many Books nowadays harm the reputation of the genuine terrier folk! Photographs of terriers showing scars, bloody battles with Foxes in graphic detail are vey good ammunition for the 'Antis)......Are these Authors doing us a diservice?A friend told me about certain titles by an Author called: Johnny Bluck,Digging the Dirt.what do our readers think of such Books and the Author in question? Hoping all the good guys on here can answer some of my questions.

Lutra Lutra.....

Edited by Lutra Lutra

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Because it is a proven fact.Bluck had borders a few year back and started a border terrier club of his own but that did not last very long and the club and registration fees went belly up.He then when

Over the years, advances in photography have changed what we expect in print. From old 35mm we had to take to the chemist (unless we had a special contact) to insta-matic pictures. Which were poor qua

Good to see Bert Gripton had the foresight to say such common sense and at a time when terrier work hadn't the pressure like it has today. Some of the older books Lucas and Pearse for example were ni

i first met david grayling, 1973 or 74 at stratfield saye CLA game fair he had a copy of the lucas book which i could not afford at the time, clifford doggie hubbard also had a stand at the fair, many years later he was telling me the lucas book would always get stolen of his stall.

i have bought many off grayling since, been to his shop a few times i think he,s living in devon now. atb

• Like 1

So who would your modern day decent authors be mate ?

The old books are all well and good for historical research but hardly any reference to base modern day ,single handed work on .

if you are on here as just another that hates the real face of terrierwork and despises pics ,i see trouble ahead but if you agree that dogs do get knocked and that theres no shame in showing a worker then you and me will get on fine .

What type of dogs do you work at moment ? Do you have any dogs down from Mr Gripton ?.

• Like 1

Good to see Bert Gripton had the foresight to say such common sense and at a time when terrier work hadn't the pressure like it has today.

Some of the older books Lucas and Pearse for example were nice and interesting but of little value to the modern scene, but then again they weren't supposed to be, were they ?

Mind you, Lucas's books gave great detail through photography as to how it was done.

I have several hunting books up to 160 years old on all types of hunting but even then the little warriors barely got a mention.

Plummers terrier books ?

Apart from the Fell Terrier they have no impact on working terriers nowadays or in the past, and it's even debatable if The Fell Terrier had any either.

I still maintain that the most practical terrier book is Eddie Chapmans first one and the best insight into the professional terrierman IMO is probably Nick Stevens's.

A lot of people ridicule the modern "interview" methods of putting a book together but IMO if a man writes an entire book on his own methods and experiences the book is ALL based on his theories. Whereas with a book put together about several men then it's a collection of different theories, methods and breeds which if properly compiled can make for better reading.

JMHO.

I don't have a particular favourite but when I was a kid I read, reread and then read again the old Yearbooks that used to be edited by Dave Harcombe (terriers) and Phil Loyd (lurchers) and of course the old Working Terrier magazines.

• Like 9

A great many thanks to Harvey D and also to Neil for providing myself with some of their views on the terrier Books of today. Neil, it would be interesting to hear about your involvement with certain Books and you could always send me a message if you so wish. Harvey, good to know you knew David Grayling and your visit to his Book Shop also. I went on 1occasion to buy certain Bird Books and fox hunting titles. I]He did tell he was moving down into Devon.

Also to (Fox Dropper) who for some unknown reason got somewhat hot under the collar about another persons opinion. Of course it would be a very foolish thing to assume that terriers never get cut up when underground and I haven't got a problem at all with photos. However, Books nowadays are mainly picture Books with no valued infomation in them. Ask yourself why are there so many jumping on the band wagon just to make a quick shilling. That's why Bert never wrote a Book.

Lutra Lutra...

Edited by Lutra Lutra
  • Like 1

Lutra, to me it's simply a sign of the times. Pictures can tell a thousand words, as someone once said. Lucas, Clapham and even early Plummer never had that luxury and if i'm honest, whats in those early books is already there. No point in doing another..

Lets be honest, though flawed, Fell Terrier is one hell of a book but who could produce sommat like that these days.. And the same with others, we live in a different world now (not always for the better!)

Books is books, just because the subject matter is the same, the books should never be...

You pays your money and takes your choice (and there's an awful lot of choice these days!)

;)

When you were a kid so were they lol.

Believe it or not I was a teenager for most of those, LOL.

If I have one regret regarding books it's holding a 1st edition copy of Claphams "Foxhunting on the Lakeland Fells" (1920) on one of Coch Y Bondus stalls.

The individual photos were glued separately to the page and it's cost was £50.

I didn't buy it.

I did however buy a 1989 reprint for £30, wish I'd bought that original.

• Like 1

Lucas, Hunt and Working terrier is like a time machine, real class. A modern book that delves back decades is the first John Broadhurst, Terriers and Terriermen, seems a bit hastily put together, but still a good one. He told me the second one would be even better, dont agree, but it might grow on me.

• Like 1