Checked the nest pans today when the canary was out feeding , the nest she made in the pan in the flight which looks perfect and lined with alpaca fleece was empty checked the pan in the shed with felt liner and a few bits of twine and there is 1 egg had a look when it was getting dark and she is sitting nicely on it , I haven't swapped it with a dummy egg as thought I'd leave alone and see what happens , rather exciting this nesting lark ☺☺

• Like 2

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Two first greeny mules.

Checked the nest pans today when the canary was out feeding , the nest she made in the pan in the flight which looks perfect and lined with alpaca fleece was empty checked the pan in the shed with fel

When the young un's are ready to jump ship make sure there's some branches down so they get up off the floor as such,they will scramble up the wire but branches are so much better for them to climb/fl

Posted Images

Best thing you can do now(and it's the hardest thing to do :yes: )is leave her alone to get on with it,don't check tomorrow or the next but just let her be as she'll lay a few more yet and she knows what to do without our big old fingers messing in there :laugh: .Well done and all the best with them :victory: and keep us updated eh :thumbs: ..

• Like 2

Thanks fm, the thing is she is above the door in the corner of the shed but I need to get in to change water and food so will need to go in , will stay away from the pan though , will let you know how it turns out ☺

• Like 1

It certainly is I did have a sneaky peek when doing food and water but I waited till she was outside feeding and there are now 2 blue eggs , when do you start counting incubation days from ?

some sit almost straight away,but I always count from 4th egg,and let them sit a day or so over ,that way you don't throw good eggs :thumbs: I don't use dummy eggs these days ,and most chicks do ok,just spy in when shes out feeding,dont think the hen will mind, :laugh:

• Like 1

Cheers francolin, so glad you guys are here to answer my novice questions

think most of us are novices,to be fair its all trial and error with the birds pappabear, ,just that some have had more time to make mistakes and hopefully we learn from some of them,glad you enjoying the birds :thumbs:

• Like 2

Im guilty of actually shoving a hen off the nest so i could have a look :icon_redface: ....i thought if i just gently pushed her with my little finger she wouldnt mind...........once she was off she went and sat in the corner for ages as if to say " f**k it you incubate them then ".......needless to say it was lesson learned and i just let them be now.

• Like 2

I got a greenie hen who'll peck you and the only way to look under her is to grab her off the nest,i had to find this out when ringing her latest brood and they can peck for a little bird :laugh: ,but i'll second all francolin says and were all novices that have learnt the hard way so can pass on lessons learnt :thumbs:

• Like 1

Thanks guys , I am currently reading colour type and song canaries by gbr walker and there is a bit in there that says that the nest pan containing chicks should be placed on the floor of the breeding cage when they are 14 days old and a fresh nest pan placed in the same place mine is about 6ft high on the shed wall with no perches close to it , do you think they will be ok when it's time for them to leave , and do most people use breeding cages or let the birds fly around

when they jump the nest they will be spread about the floor area,in corners ect the cock bird will continue to feed them,even if your hen has nested again,they are better in breeding cages as reguards pairing a certain bird to another,so you can pick there mate,but for the birds themselves I would think the flight is the best enviroment by far,the young soon get perching and find there way around,keep a few spare nest pans up,she may nest in one :thumbs:

• Like 1

When the young un's are ready to jump ship make sure there's some branches down so they get up off the floor as such,they will scramble up the wire but branches are so much better for them to climb/flutter up..

• Like 2