Rescueing Your Injured Dog

Any tips on whats the best way to get your dog out of the bush when your a couple of klm away from the car and the dogs to big to carry

in new Zealand , from what ive seen of there vids+ links , the pig hunters carry the pigs on there shoulders. and some of them pigs 120-200lb , so unless your dog heavier than that, which I wouldn't think so lol , carry the dog on your shoulders. I had bull x grey years ago, fair size 75lb , he blacked out one night . had to carry him 1 1 /2 mile to get to my motor , got him to vet but the dog died , he never came to.

• Like 2

Hog doggers will often have a first aid / trama kit with them in order to keep a dog from bleeding out. Water is usually the most important thing for my dogs in the hot months of the year as heat stress/stroke is the biggest concern. It's better to address the issues in the field and get the dog stabilized then and there, than carrying a dog a mile or two back to the truck and having it die on you or have the situation worsen do the amount of time gone by before you can properly care for the dog.

Often times carrying a dog out will be the only option when your a foot. Other times the dog can be tethered to a tree and the transportation be brought to the dog. It would suck to be a foot 2 miles away from the truck or UTV and need a trama kit only to have left it behind.