Problem Feeding Bones..........help Please !!

I have successfully switched our 4 pet dogs to BARF, and they are all thriving on it, so happy days in our house !

My old mum, however, has had less success..........

She has a 7 year old Border terrier, and she would love to switch completely, but she's having trouble with feeding bones.

She's tried meaty beef bones and lamb ribs, raw of course, which the dog loves, but a little while later, she's cr4pping pools of frank, red blood (the dog, not my mum !). This doesn't happen at any other time, or with any other food - the dog is absolutely fine with the raw meat, veggies and so on - just bones seem to cause the problem !

She wants to do her best for her dog,but is obviously worried by blood loss, so I told her that if anyone has answers, it'll be you guys and gals !

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

BB

If the dog has not been fed bones throughout its life, the lower bowel simply may not be fit and tough enough to cope. You could persevere and feed a little bone every day and hope that eventually the bowel will be able to cope but you risk more damage.

Personally I would simply cut the bone out, and add a calcium supplement instead. All you hav to be aware of then is to make sure the dog has something to chew for tooth and gum care. Good luck!

• Like 3

As Gaz says; chicken wings are a brilliant introduction to BARF. I've started all my dogs off on chicken wings for the last fifteen or sixteen years. They spend a good ten or fifteen minutes per wing at first but when they get the hang of it they can finish a bowlful in seconds...crunch, crunch, gulp, crunch, crunch, gulp.

• Like 1

Try pieces of tripe or lam paunch teeth will be sparkling in no time, pieces of chicken has gaz says maybe be able to handle more softer so on good luck atb bunnys

She's got teeth as good as the day she was born Bunnys ! Got a really strong bite, she can destroy big beef bones, and I think that splintering bones might be the problem !

Thanks for all the advice, gentlemen, and I will pass it on to the dear lady.

My own thinking was to start off gently with a chicken wing or neck and build it up from there, but advice from those who know better is always appreciated.

Too much bone in one go :yes: I'd say the dog isn't chewing them down properly, stick to chicken wings and necks for it's meaty bones, maybe lamb spine too and give it the odd big bone it can't just swallow chunks of for recreation, big beef bones or similar.

Good on you for making the switch and converting your old mam too is class :thumbs:

• Like 2

Too much bone in one go :yes: I'd say the dog isn't chewing them down properly, stick to chicken wings and necks for it's meaty bones, maybe lamb spine too and give it the odd big bone it can't just swallow chunks of for recreation, big beef bones or similar.

Good on you for making the switch and converting your old mam too is class :thumbs:

It wasn't hard, mate. She saw the improvement in my dogs condition - more energy, improved coat etc - and asked what I'd been feeding them. So I told her..........

When I mentioned that the amount of 'leavings' has greatly reduced and they're not mooching round all the time for food, she was sold !

(I'm also finding it massively cheaper, but she'll find that out for herself!)

• Like 3

Another vote for the chicken wing here too!

If you can get hold of chicken wing tips, ie the trimmings with only one joint they are fab as they are more cartilage than proper bone.

When I used to keep cats I bought in boxes of day old chicks frozen, the little terrier I had at the time used to enjoy them too ;)