The Hw80 Restore And Tune

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

well after a bit of looking around for a project gun found a hw80 and will be collecting in few days its a early one in .22 thanks to a fellow member for the heads up (dac) picked it up for 120 qui

Well was up early this morning so made a cupa got myself set up at living room window paced out 30 yd and put a thick board up and some targets At 1st I wasn't getting much in the way of groups

well got the piston back from thusodog and a huge thanks bud you have done a amazing job got her lubed up and all built up and my god its so smooth is unlike anything ive shot so solid and i got the

Top job Matty!

This might be a stupid question but what is v gliding?

The piston is spun in a lathe and some rings are cut to seat a Delrin ring that's custom made to suite at top and bottom of piston (similar to how they used to button a piston) to keep the piston slide down the chamber much smoother and stop any rattling effect as moves down comp tube where normally would just burr your piston it has deffo improved the consistency and accuracy ten fold need to get me a lathe lol enemy sounds different I think

• Like 1

Top job Matty!

This might be a stupid question but what is v gliding?

The piston is spun in a lathe and some rings are cut to seat a Delrin ring that's custom made to suite at top and bottom of piston (similar to how they used to button a piston) to keep the piston slide down the chamber much smoother and stop any rattling effect as moves down comp tube where normally would just burr your piston it has deffo improved the consistency and accuracy ten fold need to get me a lathe lol enemy sounds different I think

Ooh so the black rings on the piston? Pretty sure my PS has that, good to know! Cheers for explaining mate.

Did you manage to remove most of the preload?

Well was up early this morning so made a cupa got myself set up at living room window

BDAA008D-C690-47CF-B3AD-C1B19418BD76.jpg

paced out 30 yd and put a thick board up and some targets

At 1st I wasn't getting much in the way of groups was getting really disheartened so had a cig and a coffee and started again had to zero her again at 30 Yd then wow was back stacking pellets guess it was the person holding it at 1st lol

These are 3 shot groups at 30yd

17BFF988-76E8-4B83-A2A3-E6D539BB6CA9.jpg

FE95D0D8-B047-4CDE-898D-4FBA93801910.jpg

The one above is just slightly larger than one hole mainly paper rip

So moved it 10 yd back these are 40 yd and 5 shot groups

E018AE84-1A20-4DC2-9D2B-C8706E7D02A6.jpg

Above group just covered by a 5p

D4C44491-8CF0-418E-891E-AF0BAF5DFE2D.jpg

CF7DE8EE-FEEF-4B23-B1A0-4C532F7B5ED5.jpg

Then pushed to 50yd

AA16C200-2D93-4953-BD72-1BF48CE869CC.jpg

Again a 5 shot group

Not the neatest but it is 50 yd!!!

All groups were using aa field I tried accupels too but were hit and miss not completely settled on a field yet though at 20yd they single hole but 30-50 start to open up a bit so will try other brands

But overall very happy with it will be out hunting over next few days so will hopefully bag something too

It's doing 11.69-11.77 over ten shots with a 7 ft per second variation but I think this will settle as it beds in no twang just a dull thud and little nudge might do some trigger adjusting as slightly too heavy on 2nd stage for me

:)

Thanks for all the comments

The finished old beauty

C2B18C73-E407-49EF-8D49-11F0D5553059.jpg

• Like 3

Just to add I wasn't happy with the consistency so stripped back down and a little grease had made its way to front of piston washer so re cleaned up and much better now 6ft per second diffence over ten shots and sat nice in the 11.7s

Then had a run to shop and grabbed some different pellets as aa field just felt too loose in breech So!! Her fave food is h&n ftt in 5.53mm nice and tight and huge improvement in groups ......

3 shots at 30 yd

FACC3B56-760E-4AF3-84D6-8A673F9016BD.jpg

5 shots at 30 yd

DB3627D3-9F60-4940-AF64-11F3E4D756C5.jpg

5 shots at 40 yd

783DA15E-89CA-4FA1-BAA2-28137E485975.jpg

Day well spent id say (doubt our lass agrees lol)

Few beers out in garden now to celebrate (any excuse)

Just thought I'd add to end of thread the little improvement

Cheers all

:)

• Like 2

i got a 80 a few weeks back matty and tinkered about with it now doing 11.4 with aa fields and like yours nice and smooth.theres one thing for sure matty when you get the 80 running nice its very accurate and very easy to shoot.well done with the resto mate it looks well but i would loose the butt pad mate

• Like 1