I am now working across the road from a job I did nearly 40 years ago. One of the features was a single squint bay window, we were using concrete bricks and all the squint bricks were machine cut so all the cuts were on the left of the squint arris. Some how or other I had laid one with the cut on the wrong side but did not notice till I had finished the pillar. I thought feck it today, I will wait till the agent sees it then pull it down. No one noticed, and it is still the same today. I often wonder how many people, if any, have noticed it.

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Feck me for that price I would come out of retirement.   TC

A very good reason for that, all the good ones don't "need" to work on site to keep busy, they get a reputation and move onto their own work, or stay with a self build builder, life is a lot more laid

Im a bricky by trade and have a building and roofing business. I look for £1 a block and £400 for a 1000 bricks and that's labour only working on a building site. On a private job it depends on the

Blockwork 22 a mtr ,bricks 450 per thou .But to be honest i wouldnt work for these rates as good as they are .Price work all the way based on non skorting ,easy laid back days of £180 plus whatever i make on materials.Site work is a young mans game ,wheres your hard hat .Mud and shit ,travelling ,you can keep it .

Average price round here mate is £12-13 for blocks & £440 bricks and to tell you the truth it's hard collar when you not a youngen the standard has to be spot on aswell years ago you would call it house bumping not now to strict on nhbc and h&e extensions & private new builds for me and ground works lot better than them big sites. Atb Flacko

• Like 1

I can't even work on site now, apparently my City & Guilds and 30+ years in the game don't count for anything, they wont give me the CSCS Bricklayers card, loads of my mates are in the same boat. A mate of a mate had a site agent ringing him up not long ago, asked him if he was interested in any work, the site agent said he could only get young lads and they were shite, taking more work down than they were putting up :laugh: I looked into it and i can appeal, or pay £600 and be "assessed" to see if im capable/safe :blink: f**k em. Makes me wonder how the foreigners get on site :hmm:

You should if you can find all your paperwork from college, certificates of city & guilds proof. I find info on it and pass it on to you mate my partner done it I couldn't be arsed he's on ite with gang ime on private work suits me to tell you the truth atb Flacko