• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Feck me for that price I would come out of retirement.   TC

A very good reason for that, all the good ones don't "need" to work on site to keep busy, they get a reputation and move onto their own work, or stay with a self build builder, life is a lot more laid

Im a bricky by trade and have a building and roofing business. I look for £1 a block and £400 for a 1000 bricks and that's labour only working on a building site. On a private job it depends on the

£20 - £30 per sq mtr you could supply the blocks as well and still make good money :thumbs:

Your on mate.its tricky if its all cuts.pointed both side.stepped footings.low walls.lots of or openings. All saw cuts .etc etc.its a difficult trade to get the price right.

no one mentioned fare faced blockwork pointed both sides stepped foundations etc blockwork on site you will be lucky to get £12 a metre

Edited by desertbred

£20 - £30 per sq mtr you could supply the blocks as well and still make good money :thumbs:

Your on mate.its tricky if its all cuts.pointed both side.stepped footings.low walls.lots of or openings. All saw cuts .etc etc.its a difficult trade to get the price right.

no one mentioned fare faced blockwork pointed both sides stepped foundations etc blockwork on site you will be lucky to get £12 a metre

No I did.cause the mans asked a price on block work per MTR.no ones asked what it is.don't mean its all straight work.rendered or face work.blocks and gear may need running to back of garden etc.a site price would not work out to well on a private one off job.

Im a bricky by trade and have a building and roofing business.

I look for £1 a block and £400 for a 1000 bricks and that's labour only working on a building site.

On a private job it depends on the work that needs doing.

If there's some good runs with the odd window and doorway I take the good with bad and am happy working on a price.

If there is loads of windows, corners to build, profiles to set up and mainly level work with loads of setting out then I will only work for day rates.

There is just over 10 blocks to 1m2.

Its a good job you aren't looking for those prices round here mate, its shite atm.

It depends if you include the joints on how many blocks to a M2, with joints (laid work) 10 blocks equal 1.035m2, so just over a meter of area for 10 laid. If you work your price out on amount of blocks rather than measuring the finished work including joints, you're doing yourself out of money, the joints add up :thumbs:

• Like 1

No I did.cause the mans asked a price on block work per MTR.no ones asked what it is.don't mean its all straight work.rendered or face work.blocks and gear may need running to back of garden etc.a site price would not work out to well on a private one off job.

It's only a rectangle for a workshop/storage type thing. Couple of windows and one door. Can get stuff delivered right to the spot.

Stick the sizes up Walshie, including the sizes of windows/doors, we could work the amount of materials out, and you could get a price from a local merchant? Bound to be things you haven't thought of mate lol.

• Like 2

Im a bricky by trade and have a building and roofing business.

I look for £1 a block and £400 for a 1000 bricks and that's labour only working on a building site.

On a private job it depends on the work that needs doing.

If there's some good runs with the odd window and doorway I take the good with bad and am happy working on a price.

If there is loads of windows, corners to build, profiles to set up and mainly level work with loads of setting out then I will only work for day rates.

There is just over 10 blocks to 1m2.

Its a good job you aren't looking for those prices round here mate, its shite atm.

It depends if you include the joints on how many blocks to a M2, with joints (laid work) 10 blocks equal 1.035m2, so just over a meter of area for 10 laid. If you work your price out on amount of blocks rather than measuring the finished work including joints, you're doing yourself out of money, the joints add up :thumbs:

Really ? That surprises me, the prices he has quoted we were taking over 8 years back as subbies, brickies for me are on £15 and £450 per thou face work, some jobs are a bit more if they are ball ache, and I am still making pretty good on that.

Your bang on right about measuring up, all our prices are per drawing and not per block, makes a big difference when you got 11 trowels laying every day

Edited by Rabid
  • Like 1

Iv'e not been on site for a couple of years mate, can't stand it these days, from memory, £7m2 on 4", footing blocks 40p each, and £280 per thou on the bricks, diabolical. Might be a bit better now?

• Like 1

Iv'e not been on site for a couple of years mate, can't stand it these days, from memory, £7m2 on 4", footing blocks 40p each, and £280 per thou on the bricks, diabolical. Might be a bit better now?

Feck me that's god awful, the rates I quoted as paying are not even the best for this area, I know brickies ( some have even left me for this) who are on £500+ for face work and £18 a metre for 4" block (thermalite) footings always get a better rate round here.

Agreed about site work, I hate it myself and try and stay off them myself, but they are a good earner for me at present so got a few lads on site, I got quite a few new builds on, several extensions at any one time, work is mental.

Just goes to show how each area varies after reading rates on this thread.

I'd rather do quality work at a steadier pace, the standards have just gone down the shitter now, but even a has been like me could make a decent job at those prices, and be happy with the wages.

• Like 2

Yes the site brickies are rough as.all our work done with profiles.all muck gauged into mixer to stop the zebra pug effect and all pointed topped n tailed.no brush marks.half these site fellas couldn't lay a brick in a barrow

• Like 1

A very good reason for that, all the good ones don't "need" to work on site to keep busy, they get a reputation and move onto their own work, or stay with a self build builder, life is a lot more laid back, much more relaxed, and the money is more often than not as good if not better without having to break a bollock, lets face it, if it was your own home you would be happier with quality at a price than something thrown up ? Hence why I have my own work and either turning work away or booking in for 2016

The best trowels I know are either retired, or should be retired but still do it for the love, horses for courses, depends on what you are looking for.

TC, I think the saying is "that's near enough" !

Edited by Rabid
  • Like 4

Feck me that's god awful, the rates I quoted as paying are not even the best for this area, I know brickies ( some have even left me for this) who are on £500+ for face work and £18 a metre for 4" block (thermalite) footings always get a better rate round here.

Agreed about site work, I hate it myself and try and stay off them myself, but they are a good earner for me at present so got a few lads on site, I got quite a few new builds on, several extensions at any one time, work is mental.

Just goes to show how each area varies after reading rates on this thread.

Love the footings I do, nothing better than bailing them out to be told by a snotty nose collage kid running the site its to cold to work because the thermometer is in the coldest darkest corner or to finally get ahead after waiting 3 days for muck or a forklift for it to rain and the trench sides to fall in and its always what's already loaded up lol . . . .not that it takes any digging out because the snotty nose collage gaffer thinks its a good idea to use a 350cm bucket to save concrete.

Then there's my personal favourite . . . pointing trench blocks both sides so site gaffer can get a pretty site award and a good bonus.

Defiantly need a sense of humour or be on the verge of being a alco to be a bricky. Lol

• Like 2