Fox Trapping Austalia

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A prime example of commenting on something you know f**k all about

Personaly,..I think we need to act like adults over such matters.. I fecking hate censorship,...I dislike not being able to do,.. what I want to do in life,...   The concept of a hunting forum, i

Thought I would put up a few photos of some foxes I trapped.

Posted Images

:yes: Watched my old man (and his dad)...bedding in Gins for rabbits...

They were a super efficient trap for burrows,...quick and easy to set,...and they got results... :victory:

Folk reckoned that the serrated jaws were essential to prevent rabbits from escaping,.but, I believe if back then,..we had the choice of rubber jaws (like some contemporary footholds utilise today),...we might still be using, such undeniably successful tools...

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 2

I think if a man/woman is into trapping, then best of luck to them! But I do think that your photo gallery should be in your head and private to you, a lot of people only take pics now to share online.

I think this these pics should not be put on this site as anti's will use them, which will affect country sports in Ireland and UK.

I honestly can say hand on heart, how on earth can somebody come on here and say the fox is not stressed from this ordeal. Would you not need to be a fox to experience the feelings while caught?

Is it ok for me to comment although I don't post in this section?

Is the fox in a trap more stressed than a hare or rabbit your lurcher is running?

How would a pic of a fox in a foothold effect any law in Uk or ireland when they have been outlawed many decades ago?.....

Just interested thats all.... :whistling:

know where you are coming from , but when I first saw the pic I thought f.f.s. that is cruel , but you will never convince the antis that there is not teeth on the traps and that would be there ammo to make it bad for us , not that I could give a feck what they say

• Like 2

They were a super efficient trap for burrows,...quick and easy to set,...and they got results... :victory:

Folk reckoned that the serrated jaws were essential to prevent rabbits from escaping,.but, I believe if back then,..we had the choice of rubber jaws (like some contemporary footholds utilise today),...we might still be using, such undeniably successful tools...

]

They did have smooth, padded and rubber jaw options for gins, for 50 years before they banned them ...

• Like 4

This thread has been conducted in a civil manner. People have to accept that others may have different ideas of what is acceptable to themselves. They also have a right to state that opinion, it does not make them right or wrong, it's just their opinion.

TC

Absolutely...I couldn't agree more. Apart from one outburst of personal abuse at myself the rest has been a great debate.

But Tiercel, why have you (as well as others very vocal in condemnation of trapping with legholds) not commented on the post in the lurcher section of dogs attached to a wild pig? I'm curious?

sometimes its not what said its how it is said that can provoke a negative reaction. :thumbs: . as for the foxes in the traps. still not my cuppa sorry. ive thanked Adam for sharing as it is interesting. and i'm glad he is still on. :thumbs:

• Like 2

Picture%20015.jpg

[quote name="Phil Lloyd" post="3932212" timestamp="1430844241".

Picture%20015.jpg i never saw them used but i think that there were rubber attachments to fit on the jaws back in the day

:hmm:Whilst the India rubber concept might have been available,..rabbit trappers (and country folk in general) were always reluctant to accept change... I never saw any Gins wearing such potentially humane devices,...more is the pity... :yes:

As stated earlier,....it is the images of fur bearers,.hanging off high posts, tree sets, etc,...with their limbs held firmly, in the vice-like grip of steel, that is firmly ensconced into the viewer's mind....

I doubt we shall ever see foothold traps in use again,..here in the Uk... :yes:

• Like 3

I think this thread unearthed some slight hypocrisy, and, I hope, also taught some about traps in other countries. Not all of us will agree with each other, obviously. It's good to debate, it was good to see some people's opinions soften toward the end of the thread........

For exhibition use only......

And, yes, course I've tried it out on my hand!! it's one of those things, you've just gotta!!!

post-16-0-48600500-1431030913.jpg

Edited by J Darcy
  • Like 3

I for one never knew the old gins to have rubber jaws, but not been into traps I didn't know this was the norm these days,so this has been a good read,i bet they are a great method of pest control in the right hands,think people like myself who don't use traps expect to see leg/foot damage ect, which does not seem to be the case ,atb to all you trappers,

• Like 2

Did you try it while sitting in the sun for a few hours :thumbs:

Traps are checked first thing in the morning mate so they don't sit in the sun for hours. And if its not possible to check the traps at a reasonable time or are unable to check them you either pull them out or don't set them.

If the traps were as bad as people thought they were or make them out to be I would have no fingers left.

• Like 1

As I stated I don't believe a prey animal gets stressed in the way we think about stress ... Their whole existence depends on flight ... Running away to survive rabbits in this country to springbok on the Masai mark is he same and when caught who knows what goes through they brain but I doubt if it's stress the way we think about stress ........

if they dont get stressed why do they scream?]