Lyme Disease

Yep, we always mention this at team meetings around this time of year. I always have a Tick remover in the landy and keep an eye on the terrier after we've been on the fell side. Those ticks are nasty little b*****ds!

• Like 1

One of my local farmers ended up in hospital last year and they weren't sure what was wrong (well, it was the Lourdes in Drogheda after all) .

It took a foreign doctor who'd seen Lymes before to ask the farmer if he'd deer on his land. When the answer was yes he tested for Lymes and found it was the cause.

Up until then I presumed it was confined to the heather on the mountains.

So vital that ticks are removed carefully .... this is sadly to late for this lady

Living with Lyme disease Whilst working as a zookeeper Wendy Fox was bitten by a tick and contracted Borreliosis, more commonly know as Lyme disease. Now she's paralysed, in a wheelchair, and is registered blind. She wants more people in Notts to know about the disease. 5ea3e7590d674d9be4582cc6f6c8e860701576865ea3e7590d674d9be4582cc6f6c8e860701576865ea3e7590d674d9be4582cc6f6c8e86070157686

"I had an exciting life as a zoo keeper, up until some years ago when I became sick."

"I was regularly bitten but it was just one of the things that happen when you are around animals every day of your life."

What Wendy didn't know at that time is that ticks can carry a cocktail of parasitic bacteria and when they bite, the bacteria enter the bloodstream and start to take over their new home. Borrelia bacteria, which cause Borreliosis, have many strains. Wendy became infected with Borrelia burgdorfei, the cause of Lyme disease.

2071b3aa95c240408df40f4984a24fd815b8a27f Wendy Fox

"I went from working in a demanding and physical job to being reduced to life in a wheelchair, as I am paralysed from the waist down" she says.

"I was also recently registered blind. I have a full-time care assistant to look after me while my husband works. My son (who is now sixteen) was three when I was diagnosed and he can’t remember a time when I was well."

Living with Lyme

Borreliosis, when not treated correctly, can be devastating. It depresses the immune system so that it can spread unchecked, and other infections can also take hold. It can damage the joints, affect memory function, making it impossible to perform many tasks, and it can affect relationships by changing the personality. The list of what this devastating disease can do is endless.

As tick numbers have increased dramatically over the last few years the cases of tick-borne disease have also increased in the UK. As there is no vaccine currently available to humans it's a worrying trend.

How you can help in Nottinghamshire 4efba9ab621ddfa487f58c31227d847087e56137 Questing female tick

Wendy is a director and chairperson of BADA-UK (Borreliosis and Associated Diseases Awareness). With the support of her parents who live in Mapperley, BADA-UK aim to set up a Nottingham branch to help educate members of public to stay safe, not only in the countryside, but in city parks, and in their own back gardens.

They desperately need volunteers, particularly fund-raisers as most of the members of BADA-UK are physically unable to do this kind of activity.

If you want to support Wendy's campaign...

Contact the BBC Radio Nottingham Actionline on 0115 934 8484 oremail: helpdesk@nottinghamcvs.co.uk

To learn more about Borreliosis, please visit www.bada-uk.org.

`Orrible little critters. Two of my dogs have had one each already since the weather has got better. The pat had one of the white waxy ones that look like pale dried pea. And the lurchers little friend was a smaller orangey red hard bodied type. Chris packham was on tv asking dog owners to take their dogs to the vets to have them removed and the vets were to forward the ticks to Bristol Uni I think for a new in depth study.

I wear Rovince clothing... shirt and trousers , protection for 80 washers ...

I thought you were gonna tell us under Ukip there would be no more ticks!

Not in the box that says " You can come into the country" on all immigration applications anyway :thumbs: