First Pups Any Advice

Hi all, im a new member on the site this year is my first having my own pups, ive been lamping and digging the last 2 years now with a good friend of mine and decided its time i had my own dogs, just looking for some advice or opinions from others on how early to start them and how long to wait before testing them on harder game with older dogs, will get some pics up soon of the 2 pups they are half brothers from the same father hes a huge solid dog quick for his size i think hes bull x greyhound ive seen him do all game some single handed work also and both mothers are bull x greyhound breed as far as i know and doing all game day and night, pups seem fair keen one pup is huge already at just 5/6 months and gamey out so wondering when would be good time to get them started, thanks for all advice and help in advance will get pics up soon and if anyone has any pups similar to this cross if you have any pics and advice it would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First bit of advice id give is don't bring two pups up together

All newbies to this game make the same mistakes like getting over dogged,its a very common mistake also to buy 2 pups round the same time and even the same litter, enthusiasm will take you so far befo

perhaps im getting paranoid,but this post like some others sounds a bit made up and encouraging people to speak about illegal activities.

I made the same mistake. I got two young dogs and ended up having to rehome one of them few weeks back. messing and wanting to play with each other all the time. hundred times easier training my lurcher on her own now. Be a couple of years before i even think of getting another. Atb.

Hi all, im a new member on the site this year is my first having my own pups, ive been lamping and digging the last 2 years now with a good friend of mine and decided its time i had my own dogs, just looking for some advice or opinions from others on how early to start them and how long to wait before testing them on harder game with older dogs, will get some pics up soon of the 2 pups they are half brothers from the same father hes a huge solid dog quick for his size i think hes bull x greyhound ive seen him do all game some single handed work also and both mothers are bull x greyhound breed as far as i know and doing all game day and night, pups seem fair keen one pup is huge already at just 5/6 months and gamey out so wondering when would be good time to get them started, thanks for all advice and help in advance will get pics up soon and if anyone has any pups similar to this cross if you have any pics and advice it would be greatly appreciated.

How old is other pup if the other is 5/6 months old ?

I made the same mistake. I got two young dogs and ended up having to rehome one of them few weeks back. messing and wanting to play with each other all the time. hundred times easier training my lurcher on her own now. Be a couple of years before i even think of getting another. Atb.

You should never try and train 2 or more pups together or you would end up in your situation alright, how could you expect them to concentrate. Not the dogs fault.

Plenty of lads successfully bring 2 pups on.

Maybe not advisable for a newbie but to say it should never be done is a bit over the top.

• Like 1

Having to pups at one given time can be a nightmare ,terriers maybe different coursing hounds maybe different but a mooching limping type I believe and know through experience can go against thee . Bonding with the handler not the sibling there's arays one has got going against thee,and one will allways start to choose one ova the other simple ways best way doubling and packs his a no no for me being in tune with thy animal his a must and animals running on a possessive trait not for me one makes doubled up animals byes the ways they entered keep it simple take one at time bring tother in a few yrs down line atb bunnys.

• Like 2

You should never try and train 2 or more pups together or you would end up in your situation alright, how could you expect them to concentrate. Not the dogs fault.

Plenty of lads successfully bring 2 pups on.

Maybe not advisable for a newbie but to say it should never be done is a bit over the top.

Big difference between bringing two pups on together and training two at the same time. The first can be done and many will have done it, but I certainly wouldn't attempt to train two together, far easier to do the training one at a time and get them focused on you not on each other. :thumbs:

• Like 2

Trained to three quarter bred cur greys both to a decent standard none ended up staying ,for the wants in a word either would have been beta for being. Single and no distractions there's one thing bringing to pups on and training to one can be hell of a lot different to some handlers training and every dis gle given free moment his needed to get the very best from either poor moderate and quality stock. Seen to welpps done on same yard owned by to brothers both had there own animal both looked individually to there's they both came good individual attention etc,atb bunnys

• Like 2

All newbies to this game make the same mistakes like getting over dogged,its a very common mistake also to buy 2 pups round the same time and even the same litter, enthusiasm will take you so far before your inexperience gets you frustrated by 2 dogs that just love to chase each other and feck about, I read posts on here regularly off lads with loads of terriers and lurchers that have made the same mistake,ask the same lads in 10 years time about it and you will get a different answer and only keep enough dogs for the work they have, most lads work full time so leisure time and family time are limited,my advice would always be 1 pup at a time even for experienced dog men anything more than that can present problems, WM

• Like 6