31 replies to this topic

#16 W. Katchum

W. Katchum

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,860 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 08:50 pm

Why you giving up on deerhound x gaffer, and switching to bullx an beddy/bull/grey?

#17 leo1

leo1

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:02 pm

In my opinion there only slow to start due to owners holding them back due to the myths of them taking a while to mature if the dogs out plenty there like any other lurcher, the more stuff they see at a young age the better. I've just took on a bitch that a mate bred it's not seen much and is nearly 3 and it's not upto much at all, picking and choosing runs etc. A had the fullbrother out a different litter an he was doing it from 10 month but he was sadly pts in January he would of been 6 last month
  • W. Katchum likes this

#18 the big chief

the big chief

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 11,144 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:03 pm

Who's giving up like

#19 W. Katchum

W. Katchum

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 8,860 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:04 pm

You have bought in a bullx an bred a litter with no deerhound blood in it? You planning another deerhoundx?

#20 the big chief

the big chief

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 11,144 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:04 pm

Good to see you pair getting on so well..lol

we are the best of friends hahaha

#21 the big chief

the big chief

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 11,144 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:05 pm

You have bought in a bullx an bred a litter with no deerhound blood in it? You planning another deerhoundx?

I will be in the future yes always room for one in my run

#22 W. Katchum

W. Katchum

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 8,860 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:08 pm

Why the 2 or 3 diffrwnt types in runs? Is it different jobs. Or they all get shot at being allround lurchers, genuine question?

#23 the big chief

the big chief

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 11,144 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:11 pm

Yes different jobs one doe the pots other one dries other does washing I get the pups to do lawn hahaha

#24 the big chief

the big chief

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 11,144 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:23 pm

More guest on this page than members lol

#25 LaddyLurcher

LaddyLurcher

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 04:14 am

I suppose what other breeds in the mix make a difference, his sire was a deer/grey 28 tts but his dam was bought as a deer/ grey x whippet little 21tts bitch an absolute demon worker. Mine is 23tts so he's not a big dog really.

#26 lurchers

lurchers

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 2,928 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:59 pm

I've ran these all my life and like gaffer says they do take there time mature,they could act like pups till they are 3 but they will still kill and run from 10mth old on rabbits but there legs are still all over like a pup.just take your time with it and let it do what it does while you are out with it and it will learn as it matures.atb

Edited by lurchers, 30 April 2015 - 08:59 pm.

• the big chief likes this

#27 LaddyLurcher

LaddyLurcher

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 08:04 am

I've ran these all my life and like gaffer says they do take there time mature,they could act like pups till they are 3 but they will still kill and run from 10mth old on rabbits but there legs are still all over like a pup.just take your time with it and let it do what it does while you are out with it and it will learn as it matures.atb

he does still have puppy legs at times, we get out early mornings most days and see all sorts he has started trying to stalk rabbits rather than just bombing after them you can see he's trying to figure out best way to catch them. I took him out for a little look on lamp last night dint see anything apart from a hedgehog which I didn't see but he did so that shows he's looking down beam, I will keep him active and let him show me [BANNED TEXT] he's ready.

#28 LaddyLurcher

LaddyLurcher

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 08:05 am

Cheers for all the feedback chaps

#29 leo1

leo1

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 04:43 pm

i

As been said, everybody does things different. Doing a lot more than rabbits at 10 month, retrieving of course. 😀 if you put the hours in and are committed to the dog they'll be ready to start sooner than you think. Size don't matter in the dog world
  • W. Katchum likes this

#30 leo1

leo1

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 04:47 pm

There's the dog there he was no small dog. Dog was started at 10 month and gave 100% all the time. R.i.p Leo 481b2dd9-ff5d-417c-ba92-fa2c988bc4a4_zps

Edited by leo1, 01 May 2015 - 04:53 pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users