Is It True

at work last night/ this morning a man staying at the hoilday camp was talking to me about deer stalking he said that if you shot a deer and it see you it taints the meat that why you shoot them while they cant see you. i dismissed it as a old wife tail. so i thought i ask you lot on here if its true or not.

If it knows your are there it will run when shot, and if it doesn't more often than not it will drop where it stands, if that means the animal dies a little more stressed, then that's about all, so I suppose at most it might take a little longer for the neat to relax, when hung, as for taint, I have never noticed one, but that's me,

Shot loads that have seen me over the years and eat a tidy few of them , can't sat I ever noticed any difference after ten days in the cold room ...

Ha Ha Rich now you have had your knee sorted, perhaps you'll be able to move a bit quicker now so the Deer won't be able to see you. You will be like superman. ftnVuvv.jpg

Already ordered the camo pants !! Recon another couple of weeks I might try and get out , this sitting about is doing my swede in !

Shot loads that have seen me over the years and eat a tidy few of them , can't sat I ever noticed any difference after ten days in the cold room ...

Ha Ha Rich now you have had your knee sorted, perhaps you'll be able to move a bit quicker now so the Deer won't be able to see you. You will be like superman. ftnVuvv.jpg

Already ordered the camo pants !! Recon another couple of weeks I might try and get out , this sitting about is doing my swede in !

Want me to help keep yer permissions happy ?? :whistling:

Load of old twaddle. Caught a lot of deer of several species with the dogs when we were allow ed, and hey tasted no different to shot deer. Rabbits caught by the dogs don't taste different to shot ones either.

As others have said. He was spinning you a yarn.

I have heard this said about domestic pigs, if they are stressed before slaughter it affects the quality of the meat, I am sceptical but do any other members' know if there is any truth in this?

Having slaughtered hundreds of thousands of pigs over the years I do feel that I am qualified to answer this question. If pigs are allowed to get stressed it can cause all sorts of problems such as P.S.E. and blood splash. P.S.E. is where the stress makes the pig use up the glycogen in the blood going round the body,and when that has all gone then it uses up the glycogen from the liver and then the main muscles ie. the Hams and Loins and what happens to the meat has to be seen to be believed as it goes almost white and as hard as hell,it would be impossible to cook and eat. P.S.E. stands for Pale, soft, exudative meat. Blood splash is something that isn't quite as bad as P.S.E. and is usually caused by sticking the animal late when the blood pressure has returned.On low voltage stunning the optimum sticking time is 8 seconds while the pressure is very low and when it has been stuck the pressure will then return and help to force the blood from the animal,if done later it can cause small blood vessels to burst in some of the large muscles.

Cattle also suffer glycogen depletion and this is called D.F.D. and causes the Beef to become very dark........both P.S.E. and D.F.D. can occur in Poultry as well with some strains of Turkeys having very fast glycolysis.

I have however never found wild animals to suffer the same sort of stress as in my mind this is because they are always on a certain amount of alert especially Deer,but,I have had Deer that never knew I was in attendance run like the wind on being shot and others that were watching me slowly put the rifle onto the sticks drop to the shot,so I don't believe there is a definitive answer to that side of it............hope that has answered your question Hydropotesinermis

Martin

Edited by martin
  • Like 5

I've only got one with roe on , and I should be up and running soon , the others need a proper gun , that 222 won't cut the mustard mate , a very kind offer all the same ..

• Like 1

It certainly pays to keep an open mind when it comes to taking advice from people you haven't seen practicing what they preach. Not saying you can't learn a thing or two, but there's a lot of book-smart chat spoken in some places... Pubs, gunshops and gamefairs being the hotspots.

• Like 3

I've only got one with roe on , and I should be up and running soon , the others need a proper gun , that 222 won't cut the mustard mate , a very kind offer all the same ..

Did I mention I`ve just put together a Sako .243 outfit ? :yes: lurvely !