• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

More walks less piss and poo. I have 3 double kennels, no drain and no smell. If fact the only thing I clean up is bedding.   It's not convenient for everyone, I know, but the more you take/let y

I use battles black pal, just as good as jeyes but lot cheaper, think 5ltr is £20odd and last a while you only need a cap full in a bucket, if i was making a soak away then id dig it as deep as possib

Have a look at this .... does more than just masking urine smells. Try the Bubblegum fragrance your neighbours will love it too.   http://mistralie.co.uk/products/odourfresh-pet-disinfectant-standa

There's a wee shook at bottom side of run that the water is swept out was thinking of digging it down a bit and filling with gravel???? how deep etc we talking for soak away?

think of a soak away as a holding tank with a leak depending on the soil it is dug into the water will sit for some time so how much water per wash out how many wash outs drain time of soil easy to judge dig a post hole fill it with water and time how long it takes to drain out look in to French drains easy and cheep to build use same drainage test for soil
  • Like 1

I'm thinking of putting in a soakaway too as my dog run is at the bottom of the garden and nowhere near any drains. I read somewhere that you need to make it about 3' x 3' but that it needs to be bigger if on clay; like mine. I'd have thought that, as clay is far less permeable, then digging further into it would make it less likely to drain away into the soil. :hmm: Think I'll try the idea Leethedog has put forward. Also, do you fill it with just shingle/gravel or top with soil?

Edited to add that mine is rarely hosed out...not because I'm a lazy sod (though that is true) but simply because the base is a polysomethingorother floor and they usually wee and poo elsewhere.

Edited by Neal

I use battles black pal, just as good as jeyes but lot cheaper, think 5ltr is £20odd and last a while you only need a cap full in a bucket, if i was making a soak away then id dig it as deep as possible maybe around 8ft mark and half fill with clean stone then just run 4" pipe up from it to your kennels and backfill then just connect aqua channels into it

• Like 2