Horrible Moment In A Brilliant Night's Shooting. Has This Happened To You?

By putting another pellet in to head is a lot quicker than getting up and running over and necking it ,that normally does it

And I take it you do that while its doing backflips and jumping about? The John Wayne of the airgun world...

As said each situation is different in that case it would be quickly picked up and despatch end by hand. Either way has it's place and basic common sense tells you which is appropriate at the time.

Obviously not , pianoman didn't say it was doing back flips and jumping in the air clapping did he

You have got read each situation, when something happens like that and take the quickest method of despatch and most of the time that is with another pellet to the head

So less of your sarcastic comments

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's called residual synaptic capacitance, and does infrequently result in such an extreme reaction.   Twitches and kicks are quite common, as you know, as the residual electrical charge in the nerv

The first shot had it dead, let's be honest. Nerves played a big part in it jumping about. Maybe next time instead of trying to shoot it too death get up and wring its neck if it bothers you so much.

Thanks again everyone.   To make this post a bit more understandable. I hit the rabbit clean into the left side of its head between eye and ear lobe at 23 yards with a 5.52mm .22 Air Arms Diablo Fi

Posted Images

By putting another pellet in to head is a lot quicker than getting up and running over and necking it ,that normally does it

And I take it you do that while its doing backflips and jumping about? The John Wayne of the airgun world...

As said each situation is different in that case it would be quickly picked up and despatch end by hand. Either way has it's place and basic common sense tells you which is appropriate at the time.

Obviously not , pianoman didn't say it was doing back flips and jumping in the air clapping did he

You have got read each situation, when something happens like that and take the quickest method of despatch and most of the time that is with another pellet to the head

Hear, Hear

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

For me... Id neck it, as Id probably miss the second shot :hunter:

Pionaman reacted the way he thought best at that moment, hes the last person on here wanting suffering in any quarry.

• Like 3

For me... Id neck it, as Id probably miss the second shot :hunter:

Pionaman reacted the way he thought best at that moment, hes the last person on here wanting suffering in any quarry.

Well said - a top airgun shooter and gentleman.

• Like 1

I'm sure the general advice after taking a shot is to 'reload', whatever the quarry is. Deer, fox, rabbit. Doesn't matter, it's there for a quick follow up shot should anything go wrong. If you run over to the maimed animal chances are that it's going to bolt off.

Now would you rather risk a maimed rabbit slowly dying in a warren or send up a quick follow up shot in the right spot?

• Like 4

Thank you everyone for excellent and thoughtful answers. :hmm: It was the fact that I saw its body rise and fall as if it was breathing, as it finally slowed down and stopped bucking and rolling over, despite three very decisive hits to its head that caused me concern. Only the fourth one put an end to the extreme thrashing I saw it make. :hmm:

I'll break the neck and have it over finished with next time. :thumbs:

All the best.

Simon

The brain had gone into overdrive as mentioned in an earlier post, sending out random messages all over the place, it was dead, hence why 3 further shots made little or no difference, you can't kill something again when it is already dead!

• Like 3

To be honest, as I read the OP I was somewhat confused as to how these additional shots were delivered to an animal doing gymnastics!

Edited by Deker

Didn't he, I get the impression the bunny was hardly lying still!

From the OP.

My shot hit it clean into the head. It instantly backflipped and began writhing....and writhing. Then rolling and turning over violently. Blood was pouring out of the side of its head from a point on its head I could see was right on the button to have killed it outright. But it was still breathing and rolling over and over.

I reloaded quick, got into aim, got my breathing down and fired a SECOND shot which hit it on the opposite side of its head to the first shot. Still it spun over and kicked like hell. Still breathing. I could see it was in absolute agony.

A quick reload and shot number THREE hit it clean between the eyes through its forehead. STILL it kept on writhing, slower now but, I saw it was still breathing as it gasped for air and its chest rose and fell.

The FOURTH shot hit behind its right eye, almost onto the first one. That, mercifully, put it out of its misery and killed it.

Edited by Deker

I am more than a little confused about some comments on this thread.

Lets take the often quoted chicken situation, as it runs around the enclosure after its head was cut off!

It is dead and it is NOT feeling any pain......... do you shoot it several times because you can see it was in absolute agony (just exactly how do you know that).......... or to............. put it out of its misery (and how is that achieved when it is already dead) ?

Edited by Deker
  • Like 2

Thank you everyone for excellent and thoughtful answers. :hmm: It was the fact that I saw its body rise and fall as if it was breathing, as it finally slowed down and stopped bucking and rolling over, despite three very decisive hits to its head that caused me concern. Only the fourth one put an end to the extreme thrashing I saw it make. :hmm:

All the best.

Simon

The brain had gone into overdrive as mentioned in an earlier post, sending out random messages all over the place, it was dead, hence why 3 further shots made little or no difference, you can't kill something again when it is already dead!

Which is why if you break the neck and sever the communication lines between brain and body, it will stop!

All the best.

Simon

Which is why if you break the neck and sever the communication lines between brain and body, it will stop!

Indeed :thumbs:, but in the technicalities of this thread it is already dead, so you are not killing it again.

Lord knows how/why but I have shot, killed, cleaned, skinned, head and boots off rabbits before, totally ready for the pot and in a couple of instances they have still twitched! Some muscle spasms, nobody can suggest they are still alive though!

Edited by Deker
  • Like 2

At the end of the day ,it coursed Simon some distress and he dispatched it the way he thought best

we have all been there and your a lair if you say you have not we have most of us been shooting for a good few years

and in the rookie years it happens and even now all it takes is a deflection

i personally neck them even when there dead just to make sure but to all there own

Simon is not a rookie and is one hell of a shot with his rifles as we all no he is more than capable of putting a second shot or more into his pray

but as he say,d this was the first time it has happened to him and it has up set him no end but as iv say,d

no mater how me ., you, or any one dispatches there pray its still and all ways will be

EACH TO THERE OWN

Simon i still lovs ya :air_kiss: :air_kiss: :air_kiss:

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

• Like 3

At the end of the day ,it coursed Simon some distress and he dispatched it the way he thought best

we have all been there and your a lair if you say you have not we have most of us been shooting for a good few years

and in the rookie years it happens and even now all it takes is a deflection

i personally neck them even when there dead just to make sure but to all there own

Simon is not a rookie and is one hell of a shot with his rifles as we all no he is more than capable of putting a second shot or more into his pray

but as he say,d this was the first time it has happened to him and it has up set him no end but as iv say,d

no mater how me ., you, or any one dispatches there pray its still and all ways will be

EACH TO THERE OWN

Simon i still lovs ya :air_kiss: :air_kiss: :air_kiss:

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

He needs to know that this happens sometimes, and from what I can make of this he hasn't caused the bunny any pain or suffering, it was dead with the first shot, there is nothing to get upset about.

If he had shot it up the arse it may have been a different matter, but he didn't.

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1