Annealing Brass

After time you work harden your brass. If you shoot an extremely accurate rifle such as custom benchrest competition rifle, you will probably see your groups opening up. I'm sure most reloader have used there brass enough times to see some cases start splitting on the case necks. Properly annealing your brass will prolong the life of it and will bring your tiny little groups back if your grouping has fell off do to inconsistencies in the hardness of your case necks and shoulders.

Don't anneal more than just the neck and shoulders. Annealing the entire case such as sticking the case in the oven will soften the brass up through the entire case and your primer pocket will get loose or worse. I have an annealing machine and it works great. Depending on what caliber I'm shooting depends on how often I anneal the brass. 223 doesn't need annealing as much as a 7mm STW

I got my annealing machine from Ballistic Edge MFG. Think it was www.annealingmachines.com. Once i get everything positioned right, I can zip through the stack of brass. I used tempilaq at first like the tips recommend but it didn't work for me. My best results came from adjusting the flames untill the case necks give off a faint orange glow in a dark room. The plate rotates the brass as it makes its way through the flames. Then the brass drops out the bottom as it passes over a cut out section after its passed the two tourches. Very handy little machine if your doing lots of brass. I got my plate with 3 alternating size holes so 1 plate accommodates every size brass I have.