79 replies to this topic

#31 Tremo

Tremo

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 12:17 pm

Everyone knows that the HMR calibre was designed by the devil! ;)

Stick with a pocket full of stones Cedric! Thinking about it ............. I would most probably would have hit more if I had used stones instead of my HMR! :icon_redface:

Edited by Tremo, 24 April 2015 - 12:20 pm.

• danw and shropshire dan like this

#32 Lloyd57

Lloyd57

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 06:00 pm

By that was lucky, I hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction.
Lloyd

#33 Rimfireboy!

Rimfireboy!

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 06:50 pm

I had one last year. Bullet travelled about 1/2 inch up the barrel, I poked it back out with a cleaning rod. A couple of days later I had a hang fire from the same box of ammo. Hornady red tips believe it or not? Not had any other problems yet with hmr ammo. I understand that the Winchester HV varmint are supposed to be to a better standard but I haven't tried any yet. Got some of the Winchester supremes to use up first, then I'll give them a go.

#34 Cedric

Cedric

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:35 pm

Tremo - backup !!

Attached File  200px-Slingshot_(weapon).jpg   6.64KB   1 downloads 

• Tremo likes this

#35 Lloyd90

Lloyd90

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 09:24 am

Glad you posted, glad your ok mate , and even gladder I got rid of mine a while back.

Still got a slot for a 17 HMR on my ticket.

Tempted to do a 1 for 1 now. I already have a 243. Would it be worth putting in for a 222 or 223 ?

#36 Tremo

Tremo

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 05:48 pm

Tremo - backup !!

attachicon.gif200px-Slingshot_(weapon).jpg

Too right Cedric! :laugh: . The trouble is that I would most probably need a user manual as well! :whistling:

Edited by Tremo, 25 April 2015 - 05:53 pm.

#37 Tremo

Tremo

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 05:51 pm

I had one last year. Bullet travelled about 1/2 inch up the barrel, I poked it back out with a cleaning rod. A couple of days later I had a hang fire from the same box of ammo. Hornady red tips believe it or not? Not had any other problems yet with hmr ammo. I understand that the Winchester HV varmint are supposed to be to a better standard but I haven't tried any yet. Got some of the Winchester supremes to use up first, then I'll give them a go.

I tried the Winchesters and I had to return them to the RFD. Believe it or not the case split on almost every round that I fired. :icon_eek:  . Like I said in an earlier post ............ this round was made in Hell!

#38 Cedric

Cedric

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:21 pm

I have Winchester, Remington and Hornady to try tomorrow in my new (to me) Sako when I get a scope fitted tonight. Just got to decide on which scope from my collection of redundant scopes !  :)

#39 IanB

IanB

------

• Administrator
  • 11,138 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 09:18 pm

Thats it been taken back to the RFD to get sent back after the weekend.Hopefully a speedy return.

#40 ratbuster

ratbuster

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 995 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 09:28 pm

Glad you're OK Ian, and didn't suffer any damage  :thumbs:

But reading this thread why are these rifles still around with so many problems,causing severe danger to their users ?  Is it just the ammo which is bad or.....   Wouldn't be happy putting my face near a rifle with this record  :cray: IMHO opinion back to the trusted, SAFE .22 WMR or a nice .22 hornet

#41 J Darcy

J Darcy

Gimplet

• Donator
  • 13,027 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 09:31 pm

Shame it didn't clip a couple of inches of your nose off....would have saved you a fortune in nose reduction.... :laugh: :D

• martin likes this

#42 Alsone

Alsone

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 07:05 am

Glad you're OK Ian, and didn't suffer any damage  :thumbs:

But reading this thread why are these rifles still around with so many problems,causing severe danger to their users ?  Is it just the ammo which is bad or.....   Wouldn't be happy putting my face near a rifle with this record  :cray: IMHO opinion back to the trusted, SAFE .22 WMR or a nice .22 hornet

From all accounts it's the ammo not the rifles at fault. Appears to be poor quality control.

#43 paulus

paulus

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 8,388,607 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 07:56 am

had 2 never got on with them, more  hassle than there worth, both were sold. the round is the problem and always has been since day one, the same problems are there now as were there when the caliber was launched all them years ago. maybe is a flaw too far.......................

#44 ratbuster

ratbuster

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 995 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 09:07 am

Knowing this standard problem with the ammo, why would one buy that caliber any longer ? Thrillseekers.... ?  :D  :whistling:  :D

#45 Tremo

Tremo

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 10:03 am

I have Winchester, Remington and Hornady to try tomorrow in my new (to me) Sako when I get a scope fitted tonight. Just got to decide on which scope from my collection of redundant scopes !  :)

I hope that you remembered to wear your body armour Cedric? Ian got off lucky. I would have to wear something like they use to train police attack dogs before I would even think of picking up a HMR again! :laugh:  :laugh:

• ratbuster likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users