Bye Bye Hmr!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have to say I'm with you here.   The HMR has it's issues, well the ammo does anyway, this is without doubt appalling and potentially dangerous, SO BE CAREFUL. It isn't Russian roulette as someone

That's horrendous, the outcome could have been much worse. someone is gong to get seriously injured with this ammo   Glad you're OK

Everyone knows that the HMR calibre was designed by the devil!   Stick with a pocket full of stones Cedric! Thinking about it ............. I would most probably would have hit more if I had used s

Posted Images

Glad you posted, glad your ok mate , and even gladder I got rid of mine a while back.

Still got a slot for a 17 HMR on my ticket.

Tempted to do a 1 for 1 now. I already have a 243. Would it be worth putting in for a 222 or 223 ?

I had one last year. Bullet travelled about 1/2 inch up the barrel, I poked it back out with a cleaning rod. A couple of days later I had a hang fire from the same box of ammo. Hornady red tips believe it or not? Not had any other problems yet with hmr ammo. I understand that the Winchester HV varmint are supposed to be to a better standard but I haven't tried any yet. Got some of the Winchester supremes to use up first, then I'll give them a go.

I tried the Winchesters and I had to return them to the RFD. Believe it or not the case split on almost every round that I fired. :icon_eek: . Like I said in an earlier post ............ this round was made in Hell!

Glad you're OK Ian, and didn't suffer any damage :thumbs:

But reading this thread why are these rifles still around with so many problems,causing severe danger to their users ? Is it just the ammo which is bad or..... Wouldn't be happy putting my face near a rifle with this record :cray: IMHO opinion back to the trusted, SAFE .22 WMR or a nice .22 hornet

Glad you're OK Ian, and didn't suffer any damage :thumbs:

But reading this thread why are these rifles still around with so many problems,causing severe danger to their users ? Is it just the ammo which is bad or..... Wouldn't be happy putting my face near a rifle with this record :cray: IMHO opinion back to the trusted, SAFE .22 WMR or a nice .22 hornet

From all accounts it's the ammo not the rifles at fault. Appears to be poor quality control.

had 2 never got on with them, more hassle than there worth, both were sold. the round is the problem and always has been since day one, the same problems are there now as were there when the caliber was launched all them years ago. maybe is a flaw too far.......................

I have Winchester, Remington and Hornady to try tomorrow in my new (to me) Sako when I get a scope fitted tonight. Just got to decide on which scope from my collection of redundant scopes ! :)

I hope that you remembered to wear your body armour Cedric? Ian got off lucky. I would have to wear something like they use to train police attack dogs before I would even think of picking up a HMR again! :laugh::laugh:

• Like 1

Oh well.... someone has to defend the hmr...... might as well be me.

A brilliant round with hundreds of millions sold every year and widely used all over the world by people of all ages and abilities.

After thousands of rounds fired I have never had a problem and I cannot see how I would fail to notice a hangfire unless not paying attention, I could be wrong there.

You were not injured. Maybe that is testimony to the strength of the rifle and an indication that they are designed to protect you from such an event even though the rifle is written off.

We all need reminding from time to time that these (and I include sub 12ft lb air rifles) are lethal weapons that need to be treated with respect.