Bye Bye Hmr!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have to say I'm with you here.   The HMR has it's issues, well the ammo does anyway, this is without doubt appalling and potentially dangerous, SO BE CAREFUL. It isn't Russian roulette as someone

That's horrendous, the outcome could have been much worse. someone is gong to get seriously injured with this ammo   Glad you're OK

Everyone knows that the HMR calibre was designed by the devil!   Stick with a pocket full of stones Cedric! Thinking about it ............. I would most probably would have hit more if I had used s

Posted Images

Glad that I got shot of my HMR last year .......... I don't miss it one little bit.

If it was the choice between owning another HMR of throwing stones at the quarry, then I would be investing in some new trousers with very large pockets. ;)

I'm amazed that Hornady haven't withdrawn all production, its just a huge legal case waiting to happen. Im also amazed that the Yanks haven't been up the legal route with this one. It must have happened over there, unless , as you say, we get the iffy ammo and all the USA stuff is better QC'd.

I had one before and passed it onto my brother in law, because the groups were all over, but he's getting on good with it, I needed something flat shooting for rabbits back end of the season when there flighty, so got a hornet, which is great...but its not great if your using a lot of rounds and reloading, so I went back to a HMR for ease, as it did what I needed with nightvision on the rabbits.. I'll be confident using a replacement but it will always be in the back of my mind, I was speaking to the dealer I got it off today and he mentioned it had happened with an anschutz as well, but from a another dealer he heard about...

I've never had problems using hornady red tips and it seems when speaking to edgar brothers the problem may be in the blue tips or old stock of them that had issues previously..

Regardless the round shouldn't of jammed, I just missed the fact it had, as everyone says, not good at all when a rifle blows up in your hands....imagine a bigger calibre, like a .243 upwards , I'd be getting scraped up off the floor.. :laugh:

Well, my FAC has just landed back from Lancashire Police with a slot for a HMR!! So, it's off to the Gunshop before this cash burns a hole in my pocket. Super two weeks turnaround from them.

Those pictures will always be in the back of my mind when firing it though, makes me cautious.

Everyone knows that the HMR calibre was designed by the devil! ;)

Stick with a pocket full of stones Cedric! Thinking about it ............. I would most probably would have hit more if I had used stones instead of my HMR! :icon_redface:

Edited by Tremo
  • Like 2

I had one last year. Bullet travelled about 1/2 inch up the barrel, I poked it back out with a cleaning rod. A couple of days later I had a hang fire from the same box of ammo. Hornady red tips believe it or not? Not had any other problems yet with hmr ammo. I understand that the Winchester HV varmint are supposed to be to a better standard but I haven't tried any yet. Got some of the Winchester supremes to use up first, then I'll give them a go.