*~The Duck Thread~*

Seeing as there isn't one I thought, hey let's start one :D

I'll kick it off.. Presently have 3 magpie ducks. 1. Black/white 2. Brown/white and 3. A pure white one. Also have a magpie drake who is black/white very well marked :)

They're a multi purpose duck, all rounders should we say :D

In the past I've had khaki Campbell's, Cayuga's, Swedish and a few others.

So if you have ducks, want ducks, need info about ducks or had ducks in the past - lets hear about them. :thumbs:

• Like 1

I prefer duck eggs to hens but I have limited space and for me anyway ducks are a lot messier than chickens so chooks it is.

I'm just back from a poultry sale where hens were through the roof in price whereas I thought ducks were quite cheap so maybe I'm not alone in my views.

We have some Khaki Campbells, great layers of big eggs, numerous call ducks, my wife loves these and we hatch quite a few of these throughout the year. My favourites are the trio of Muscovy ducks, nice to see them wandering around the field catching insects, one is sitting on around 20 eggs at the moment and what hatches will end up on the table as they are a lovely eating duck, still a couple left in the freezer from a hatch last year.

I see it's got off to a good start thanks folks :thumbs:

I do love ducks but as said they can be messy - year before last I bought 11 chicks and 9 ducklings all one day old. That is how it all began now its a funny farm :laugh:

Yes but anyway, I found out rather quickly that chickens are way more cleaner than ducks - really it's because of the damn water :laugh:

I'd love a few muscovys cause supposedly they are really quiet? Be a nice change of the noise pollution that them magpie ducks give off lol But after hearing they are supposedly flighty birds as in can fly(?) - I was worried they'd f**k off (excuse the lingo) :laugh:

The Muscovy's are really quiet, they just hiss a little bit. We didn't clip the Muscovy chicks last year and they used to fly out across the neighbouring fields but they always came back for food, clipped them after they caused a traffic jam when they went walking down the road.

The Muscovy's are really quiet, they just hiss a little bit. We didn't clip the Muscovy chicks last year and they used to fly out across the neighbouring fields but they always came back for food, clipped them after they caused a traffic jam when they went walking down the road.

oh dear :laugh:

I've no idea on clipping - wish I did now though be flipping handy :D

Hello,

Used to keep Game Ducks a long time ago. Great they were, and layer well too.

I like Geese, and kept a few Aylesbury.

Call Ducks are bonny wee things, if I had more space some of those would be kicking around.

Would like to see some Game and Call Ducks if anyone has pics please.

Good thread Mo :-)

Atb

• Like 1

We have mandarins ,Carolinas , call ducks and khakis x aylsburys I'll get some pics later

we are waiting.... We are waiting :laugh:
Sorry mo I've been busy I've totolly forgot , my mandarins have just started laying and Carolinas have chosen their boxes , I'll get some for you over the weekend
  • Like 2