Shooting My First Reloads...223

So after shooting some steel at 240m the other day it became apparent that my reloads are much slower and drop about 8 inches+ at that distance, whereas the 40grn vmaxs I had left was shooting spot on....

So I thought I would load another ladder of different weight powders using some 40grn nosler bt's....Using a new set of digital scales!

Starting load of 27.5 then 28.0 28.5 and 29.0

Made sure the conditions was almost perfect, used a smaller target, measured out my 100y and got some much better groups and they was shooting much higher, indicating that they wasn't hanging about like my first loads... Best group was with the 28.5grn of the cfe223...

4 shots here, gutted I must have pulled the last one! haha..

IMG_1477_zps1nh1d3xv.jpg

Well happy with that! My only concern was with the cases after firing, it looks like they have rotated slightly scraping some brass up and leaving a tiny burr...?

IMG_1483_zpsnacaeziz.png

• Like 1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nothing wrong with Lee beam scales mate, a little fiddly perhaps, but damn accurate.

Prone, rear bag bipod nothing fancy   223 ackley Tikka t3 action Border match barrel 1/12 twist Macmillan stock Atec mod Night force NXS np2dd   Long range to   6br RPA action

Looks like the 27.5 suits your rifle too, but I agree that you should wait for a still day and try again, because taking those results as gospel could send you down the wrong path early. Once you've

Well done mate. See, it does pay off ...... eventually. :laugh:

You are not that far off my current load for my .223 - Nossler 40gr BTs and 29.0gr of CFE223.

Re your casing: ??? I haven't seen that before. This is a question for the more seasoned reloaders. ;)

ATB

I think I could be the extractor claw when I pull the bolt, but don't know why this is the first time I have seen it. Rounds felt ok to chamber...maybe the case is sticking and needs a clean...

The 29.0s shot great aswell, but not quite as good as the 28.5s and I thought it wouldn't hurt to back off the max load slightly...

Have you put yours through a chrono Tremo?

Nah, haven't had a chance to push a few through a chrono as yet. I've been toying with buying one, but I might just do it the cheapo way and measure the drop over two distances. I'm just too tight these days. ;)

Different loads suit different rifles, so you could be spot on with the 28.5gr. Fair play, your grouping isn't going to get much better than that. :toast:

My 29.0gr load isn't showing any signs of overpressure so I'm happy to leave it where it is for the moment. Keep me in the loop with your progress and recipes.

ATB

Tremo

I might have a go at the cheapo way in the morning... Is it a case of just measuring the drop or rise at two distances and let a calculator do the rest? Without adjusting my setup these loads are shooting about 2 inches high at 100y so I'm guessing there are zeroed somewhere near 200... Hopefully find out in the morning...

What sort of groups are you getting with 29.0s?

Yep. I set up at 100 yards first off, then fire a number of shots at a spot on a target. I then move out to 300 yard and fire a number of shots at the same spot. The calculator will do the rest as you say. :thumbs:

My 29.0ers give a cloverleaf group at 170 yards (my zero). If it stays fine I'll try and get out later to do some paper punching. I'll let you know my results when I get them.

I clean mine ever time I get back after a foray. It could be just 1 round fired, or it could be 50 rounds.

I try to let the barrel cool between shots. There is a very noticeable POI change when my barrel heats up (not just warm, I mean hot :whistling: ).

Edited by Tremo

Slight breeze blowing today about 8mph but constant enough, I was desperate to see how these new 40grn nosler loads shoot at slightly longer range...

So I measured out 150m (164 yards) and shot 4, 3 shot groups. had one flyer but they averaged 0.7 inch.

For a bog standard Tikka T3 and a newbie reloader, I'm happy! (for now)

IMG_1510_zpsjhsxzwup.jpg

Ignor the aim point, they was still flying over an inch high at 150m so adjusted the scope but over did it a bit... Looks a fast and flat load... Next stop 200m!

It sure is addictive. :yes: . Keep up the good work mate. :thumbs:

I use 52gr amax in my 223 ackley

Mate used blitzking

100 yards

484E0904-0FB5-4218-91B0-8FE59D7E7703.jpg

200 yards

7588535C-1DC7-4DD0-8958-E59E50F214A1.jpg

400 yards

E4F30882-077A-4223-AFE5-42F9A739D60B.jpg

52gr amax

Lapua brass

Br4 primers