.177 Or .22

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here we go...........   Both mate. It doesn't matter. Honestly. Hit the spot and its dead.   Learn your aim points with a .22     Mount your glass as low as possible for a .177 and just aim dea

YES REZ!   It really lifts them and throws them to one side. Puts a big hole right through the skull.   The strangest encounter I ever had with a rat and my HW80 was about 15 years ago but I'll ne

Really I just think .22 is better for rabbits and .177 is best for feather. Calibre is a tool to be used but, if you shoot .177 with all confidence then that's what is working for you. For others it's

Posted Images

Yes. I am sure. Even though, I would say I've had more straight wipe out kills with a .22. I'm more confident in the field with my .22 97 than I am with my 100 or PS.

.22 is king. .177 is precise.

• Like 4

I've been shooting on a permission up north this week with some assistance from the estates groundsman. I used a .22 S410, he used a .177 HW100. The smiles on our faces in the pub afterwards were of equal measure....and the stories of the distance we shot at grew in exaggeration just the same. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Yes. I am sure. Even though, I would say I've had more straight wipe out kills with a .22. I'm more confident in the field with my .22 97 than I am with my 100 or PS.

Hey Rez, have you been out with that rather special Venom Longbow yet?

Hey Rez, have you been out with that rather special Venom Longbow yet?

Yes, a few times. It's actually for sale at the moment but with a dedicated left hand stock, it isn't causing that much of interest.

With .177 you don't have to judge the distance as accurately but if you miss the engine room/brain it can pass straight through And you lose your quarry.

.22 is more forgiving as you don't have to hit the exact spot to kill a rabbit or pigeon and it will still punch them over But distance has to to judged more accurately or you'll be nipping pellets under or over their heads.

The choice is yours!! Lol

• Like 2

I must say normally ie “when I was a lad” I’d say .22 for Rabbit .177 for bird, but this was with a 1970`s Air Rifle (8ft lbs and a fag paper!) but with my HW100s in .22 I now wish I had gone for the HW100kt in .177. Zero @ 35yds and good for 25/45yds where as the .22 needs some hold over. And used a .22lr for everything else!