Basc Insurance

Hi,

I just received my renewal through and noticed there appear to have been some significant changes to the policy.

I thought I'd bring them to everyone's attention so they can comapre this to SACS or other bodies as I personally don't think the BASC insurance represents very good value anymore:

The restrictions are:

1. £500 Excess to pay in respect of a Refusal to Grant a Certificate! (This is a significant expense for anyone needing legal assistance following a refusal to grant.)

2. Increased to £1,500 if you want to use your own Solicitor or Barrister on refusal and £1,000 on any non refusal claim where you use your own chocie of representative

3. £100,000 limit on any 1 claim (It used to be £10 Million unless I've missed something in the previous policies small print)

4. £350,000 total (Again £10 Million)

So the cost of taking an action for refusal is now expensive (before it was free to the best of my memory).

Whilst the £100K limit might seem plenty on the face of it, imagine the scenario where eg a ricochet hit someone in the head and caused serious brain damage. The award there could be in the millions with only £100K covered, the rest coming from you presonally (or at least so much as you losing everything you have until the point of total bankruptcy).

Edited by Alsone
  • Like 1

Hi,

I just received my renewal through and noticed there appear to have been some significant changes to the policy.

I thought I'd bring them to everyone's attention so they can comapre this to SACS or other bodies as I personally don't think the BASC insurance represents very good value anymore:

The restrictions are:

1. £500 Excess to pay in respect of a Refusal to Grant a Certificate! (This is a significant expense for anyone needing legal assistance following a refusal to grant.)

2. Increased to £1,500 if you want to use your own Solicitor or Barrister on refusal and £1,000 on any non refusal claim where you use your own chocie of representative

3. £100,000 limit on any 1 claim (It used to be £10 Million unless I've missed something in the previous policies small print)

4. £350,000 total (Again £10 Million)

So the cost of taking an action for refusal is now expensive (before it was free to the best of my memory).

Whilst the £100K limit might seem plenty on the face of it, imagine the scenario where eg a ricochet hit someone in the head and caused serious brain damage. The award there could be in the millions with only £100K covered, the rest coming from you presonally (or at least so much as you losing everything you have until the point of total bankruptcy).

You are quoting the Indemnity limit on the Legal Expenses cover.

This is not the Public Liability (etc) Limit that remains at £10,000,000.00p.

• Like 1

I've been thinking of stopping my BASC for a while now, my brothers with NGO and gets the same cover for half the price

:hmm::hmm::hmm:

BASC membership isn't just about insurance, if that is all you want there is cheaper all over the place.

No I'm not with BASC just for the insurance, I'm with BASC for the representation of shooting, legal help, firearms licensing issues etc but what benefits do I get from BASC that my brother doesn't get with the NGO? I no that BASC is a bigger organisation so probably holds more clout but then again, weren't BASC and the CA recently banned from attending a meeting with pm's or something?

Edited by air gun ant

do full members with BASC get insurance as standard ?

yes mate

Yes and the magazine is nice but at £72 per year, it's a very expensive magazine subscription.

I know the BASC do some good conservation and representation work, but I personally think more work should be done to push back some of the restrictions we face and the non sensical rules eg.

1. Air rifles being FAC when SGC would be just as safe at lower pressures (eg up to 35ft lbs), and make them more accessible as an alternative to a shotgun where stealth is required and

2. Criminal penalties for licensing breaches when 95% could be dealt with via warnings, 5% by civil penalties for serious breaches / multiple breaches and revocation (as a last resort for persistent breaches or blatant and repeated disregard for the regulations). That way you don't crimialise an otherwise lawful citizen for something as simple as a memory lapse. eg taking a round out of the breach and forgetting to add it to the cabinet when you put the gun away. It's completely wrong that someone who legally owns a gun can face 5 years for a simple mistake that anyone could make. We're not criminals yet we get the same penalties as criminals with weapons!

However, on insurance, the excess term is a new one on me and when you're already paying £72 a year for membership, I find that a bit off really.

Deker is correct BTW that the new limits only apply to legal expenses (for some reason it had the terms title on the left then the legal expenses bit on the far right so I missed it when skim reading the new conditions).

Edited by Alsone
  • Like 1

The fact that the basc And John swift nearly screwed us over the LAG and if it wasn't for the CA shooting as we know it was about to end should be reason enough for any sensible sportsman to veto this organisation

• Like 1