Lets See Them Whippets, Coarsing, Racing, Working

2 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Jetro, there are quite alot of whippet dogs around the 22ish and bigger mark, even a few at 23, and bitches well over 21 to just under 22, all kc the last 30 ish years. The sire to my lad's kc whippet bitch is 22 3/4" tts. Her dam is exactly 20". His pup is almost 20" at the moment, and isn't 7 months til 2nd feb. I've owned some real crackers over the years that were all pretty big, with even the bitches being well over 21".

I don't know, as I've never been into racing, but I'm thinking that alot of the assumptions about whippets being small, fragile etc, came about from the yard/weight racing. Certainly, most of the whippets I've seen for years were mostly bred for working and as pets, but I've hardly seen what I would call a small whippet for decades.  I know they are about, but it seems to be further north, rather than the south.  Maybe as a result of the racing system, rather than working bred?

My ferreting partner also races kc  whippets. He has 6 they vary in size from about 15 in to 21 in. I must admit the kc whippets seem better for rabbits Tec definitely a bit more meat about them and better feet on the ones I've seen.also the kc dogs aren' quite as quick as the non ped s .so possibly last a bit longer lol

• Like 2

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Il start.. 2 year old. Bred from worker to worker, mostly ferreting, lamping mooching dogs, 21" pics have been put up before.

My whippets. Dam and son                  

Hopefully these few old pictures and some of recollections from my early teens (the late 1950’s and early 1960’s) may be of some interest. They’re all old style “rag whippets” and pre date the require

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, northern lad said:

My ferreting partner also races kc  whippets. He has 6 they vary in size from about 15 in to 21 in. I must admit the kc whippets seem better for rabbits Tec definitely a bit more meat about them and better feet on the ones I've seen.also the kc dogs aren' quite as quick as the non ped s .so possibly last a bit longer lol

When people mention coursing whippets are they talking about the smaller types. 

The dog has stronger feet than the bitch. 

Shes has more cat like feet. 

Atb j 

5 minutes ago, northern lad said:

15!! Lol that's like an italian greyhound size! Lol.  Yeah I definitely think the kc/working lines are the better dogs :thumbs:

Edited by shaaark
2 minutes ago, shaaark said:

15!! Lol that's like an italian greyhound size! Lol.  Yeah I definitely think the kc/working lines are the better dogs :thumbs:

So if I'm right. The kc working lines are the larger whippets.

The dog here is a lot bigger built than the bitch. More of a power house about him.

Atb j 

1 minute ago, jetro said:

Atb j 

No, to be able to compete at coursing events all whippets couldn't be over 20", dogs and bitches.  But pracically all those kennels/breeders etc would have, and did,  produce plenty that were over 20"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Just now, shaaark said:

No, to be able to compete at coursing events all whippets couldn't be over 20", dogs and bitches.  But pracically all those kennels/breeders etc would have, and did,  produce plenty that were over 20"

5 minutes ago, shaaark said:

So if I'm right. The kc working lines are the larger whippets.

The dog here is a lot bigger built than the bitch. More of a power house about him.

Atb j 

2 minutes ago, jetro said:

Atb j 

Coursing whippets are usually kc dogs to the best of my knowledge which from what I see usually have better feet.size wise I'm not sure.thetes others on here far better qualified than me lol

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, jetro said:

So just out of interest. Where did the larger 22 up to 24 plus whippet come from.

Atb j 

Don't know about 24" but there've been plenty of kc 22-23" dogs around for years

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, shaaark said:

The 15 in bitch is hilarious.goes absolutely mental for anything small and mobile.hits a lure like a pit ull....got a mouth like a rat trap....

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, jetro said:

I suppose it doesn't make a difference really unless your showing or racing them about their size.

Which would ye rather own. The larger more robust type for field work or the smaller racy type.

Atb j

Larger type, by far :thumbs:

• Like 1