Take photos lads :thumbs:

Ive found 2 spots local where birch saplings are growing like weeds, too late to liberate now, and theirs a few big oaks to come down next to the spot ive got in mind. Be a good few year though before ill be able to tap them!

Edited by Columbo
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

attachicon.gifS1190001.JPGattachicon.gifS1190004.JPGattachicon.gifS1190011.JPG tried two methods drilling an putting tap in and pushing knife in and inserting sharped flat stick, i dont think il be using a drill again

I remember seeing Ray doing it and hanging a pot on his stick.

Could you explain how you done it with a a knife and sharp stick please Larry as I've never done it before but would love to try it.

Cheers King.

Edited to add.

I've just watched the link that bobcullen put up.good link Bob.

So I'm clued up now Larry.

Cheers King.

Edited by king
  • Like 1

I give it a go Larry.

Had about 2cm after a good hour.and left them there till tomorrow.

Me and the lad tried it.tastes just like water with a slight after taste.

I was expecting a sweet taste to be honest.

• Like 1

The first couple of weeks of march is the traditional time to tap a birch tree according to my self-sufficiency book but even here in the Deep South I've found that a little early to get a good flow. Maybe "my" woods are a bit cold.I'll be having a go in the next day or two. Over the last few years and come to the conclusion that a brace and 3/4 inch bit make an effective hole when combined with a bit of wide-gauge pipe to match. I made the mistake of using small diameter tube for a few years and the process is slow.

Apparently the quicker you get the draining done and the sap on the boil the less chance of the sap going off and the better the quality of the finished product .

• Like 4
  • 11 months later...

Sounds and looks intriguing. Maybe it's like sea buckthorn..... sometimes just like very watery squash, sometimes a great flavour burst. Anyway the ice cubes with mint leaf sound gorgeous.... is borage-a-gogo here atm so I'm toying with actually bothering to get some pretty ice ready in the freezer.