Kennel

Hi guys,

I'm planning to rebuild my kennel in the near future for my english pointer. I'm thinking of building a 2.4 metre square sleeping house. brick outside and block on the inside and insulating the cavity. I want to raise the sleeping house floor by 300mm above the run and screed the floor over 100mm kingspan sheets and I plan to have a 100mm insulated box profile sheet roof. Access will be through a glorified cat flap that has a seal on it to keep the warmth in.

Outside I'm planning on a 4.8 metre long x 2.4 wide run, with the roof completely covered in with the box profile but with clear roof panels only the south wall will be open with a barred panel and sun can be accessed here. I'll be running a channel drain across the front to catch water when I clean out.

I'm looking for constructive critisism on what you think and anything you think I should have before I start the build.

Regards

Jakk

It's being built bigger as I want to add another pointer (or two) and a irish setter in due course and when they are being worked hard for 5/7 days a week throughout the winter it's nice to give them some comfort, not to mention they spend a lot of time in there too during work hours.

I'm not sure whether to line the sleeping house with 6mm polypropylene sheeting and to weld the joints of the sheets or to tile the entire thing at the minute

It's being built bigger as I want to add another pointer (or two) and a irish setter in due course and when they are being worked hard for 5/7 days a week throughout the winter it's nice to give them some comfort, not to mention they spend a lot of time in there too during work hours.

I'm not sure whether to line the sleeping house with 6mm polypropylene sheeting and to weld the joints of the sheets or to tile the entire thing at the minute

Hi guys,

I'm planning to rebuild my kennel in the near future for my english pointer. I'm thinking of building a 2.4 metre square sleeping house. brick outside and block on the inside and insulating the cavity. I want to raise the sleeping house floor by 300mm above the run and screed the floor over 100mm kingspan sheets and I plan to have a 100mm insulated box profile sheet roof. Access will be through a glorified cat flap that has a seal on it to keep the warmth in.

Outside I'm planning on a 4.8 metre long x 2.4 wide run, with the roof completely covered in with the box profile but with clear roof panels only the south wall will be open with a barred panel and sun can be accessed here. I'll be running a channel drain across the front to catch water when I clean out.

I'm looking for constructive critisism on what you think and anything you think I should have before I start the build.

Regards

Jakk

You haven't overlooked the heated floor have you? :whistling:

Seriously, it sounds OK to me. I like the elevated dog house, and the length of the run. Though I'm not sure what the screed flooring is for. But along as you have a 5 degree or better pitch leading to your drain it should be great. I also like the run being covered completely. I only cover half of mine and think this was a mistake.

Unless I misunderstood this part. I wouldn't seal the flap on the sleeping house, as this will prevent the air flow needed to evacuate moisture. Here where it a little colder we build small houses which the dogs body heat warm. Holes are drilled along the top under the roof for steam to escape. This keeps the bedding dry, and the dog is more comfortable.

I wonder is this intended for multiple dogs or are each going to be housed separately?

ATB

Only thing I'd say is that with only one narrow end open to the sun, the amount of sunlight the dogs can get is going to be quite restricted to an hour or so when the sun is directly opposite that narrow end. I had a similar problem with my original runs which were south facing and approximately 2 metres wide: the dogs only got the sun for a relatively short time. I'd be tempted to put bars on a long side and that south facing.

Also you said that it will be completely roofed in, which means that during the middle of the day in warmer months the sun will be too high overhead for any rays to actually hit the run at all, apart from on to the top of the roof, which could make it a sweat box depending on what you use for roofing material: dark colours absorbing the heat more than white or pale colours.

Hi guys,

Regards

Jakk

You haven't overlooked the heated floor have you? :whistling:

Seriously, it sounds OK to me. I like the elevated dog house, and the length of the run. Though I'm not sure what the screed flooring is for. But along as you have a 5 degree or better pitch leading to your drain it should be great. I also like the run being covered completely. I only cover half of mine and think this was a mistake.

Unless I misunderstood this part. I wouldn't seal the flap on the sleeping house, as this will prevent the air flow needed to evacuate moisture. Here where it a little colder we build small houses which the dogs body heat warm. Holes are drilled along the top under the roof for steam to escape. This keeps the bedding dry, and the dog is more comfortable.

I wonder is this intended for multiple dogs or are each going to be housed separately?

ATB

The screed will be over 100mm kingspan to stop the frost and cold coming up through the floor and cooling the kennel as with anything insulated, it can hold the warmth or it can trap in the cold. I've had smaller dog cabins and use them at the minute I just want something that once is up I don't have to be tinkering with. I'm intending to add more dogs in the future hence the size.

The open south side will be the 4.8 side just to clarify to maximise the uv exposure. The roof shouldn't heat up too much as it will be able to air from the bottom and is again insulated box profile which is 100mm/ 4" thick. I'm not sure on height yet. I'm currently thinking 6.6 foot at the back and 7 foot at the front.

Thanks for all the replies so far. It's all helpful and once this thing is built, it's built so I'd rather get it right the first time,

Regards,

Jakk

Thats like my old one but no way near as big ive just moved and im going to build a new one the only prob with all that insulation the dogs will be to hot in summer if i was you i wouldnt have the cavity and just use thermo light blocks id still use the same roof or tile it coz when you use sheets without insulation it condensates and drips . i use the screed but then put resin on top the piss cant go through it it sits on top so never stinks of piss then use a squigy to wipe off into drainage . if you wanted heat put a heat tube in the kennel so you can control the heat .