• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ohh make no mistake the bds will be at the forefront of a move to compulsory access to a trained dog the simple reason being they will know they can make money from certifying the dogs/handlers as com

Well that makes me the worst kind of arsehole. LOL   f**k you...

I have & do head shoot , close range only , 60 /70 m & only of a bipod .Shooting paper at distance has no relavence to shooting deer at distance other than to confirm zero ..

Posted Images

missed it, what happened ?

The abbreviated version is that someone tried to head shoot a roe at 150m, thought it dropped but then couldn't find any sign of it and put it down as a miss. Some people, myself included suggested that head shooting deer wasn't a good idea and should be passed up in favour of neck / chest shots. Some views were expressed stronger than others and there was a bit of name calling and hair pulling but nothing too nasty.

So what are the pros and cons of head shooting deer then? Who does it, why and how far is too far? Also, to keep it fair... who used to take head shots, had it go terribly wrong and now will only consider it the last shot they would take and only then in specific circumstances.

missed it, what happened ?

The abbreviated version is that someone tried to head shoot a roe at 150m, thought it dropped but then couldn't find any sign of it and put it down as a miss. Some people, myself included suggested that head shooting deer wasn't a good idea and should be passed up in favour of neck / chest shots. Some views were expressed stronger than others and there was a bit of name calling and hair pulling but nothing too nasty.

So what are the pros and cons of head shooting deer then? Who does it, why and how far is too far? Also, to keep it fair... who used to take head shots, had it go terribly wrong and now will only consider it the last shot they would take and only then in specific circumstances.

I personally have only taken two head shots,and they were deer I was right on top of in a wood,that were still twitching, I would not do it out of choice as a first shot, it was along time ago,and have never done it since,I always go for the chest shot,hardly ever use a neck shot,and to be honest I have never had to follow up any of my deer, I think the standard in England of stalkers, has been high over the yrs, and the need to follow up deer has been rare to say the least, however there's more and more people taking riskier and riskier shots,copying you tube and in my opinion,when deer start turning up in villages with jaws blown off its just giving the antis a chance to bad mouth us,I know this is my opinion and other may not agree,I will have been stalking 30 yr this yr, and chest shots have never let me down,

• Like 1

The only person that can decide on the appropriate shot at any time is the guy looking down the scope. He may not be right of course but that is up to him.

It is also up to him to be as well informed as possible and honest enough with himself to know his capabilities and limitations, and be calm enough to remember that at the right moment.

In my opinion head and neck shots are the same. Small target, alright, a low neck shot is less mobile but the results of a botched job is just as difficult to follow up as a botched headshot.

You are talking an inch of play between dead deer and deer with a hole in its windpipe.

My other grievance with neck shots is that while they are purported to be humane, realistically how many neck shooters have walked up to an animal that is paralysed, still breathing, rolling its eyes and gritting its teeth, stressed out to the max. If you'd have chest shot it, it would have been dead.

The chest shot, even on a Muntjac gives you a 4 inch circle for a decent heart/lung kill, out to 8 inches for a lung shot, and you have a good 10 inches you can pull a shot backwards into the liver. All these result in dead deer, all be it they may run 100 or more yards, but if Usain Bolt can run the 100 in under 10 seconds, you can bet that deer was dead in less than that.

Even pulling a shot back into the stomach area results in death. Much slower I will grant you but we are talking hours as opposed to the 2-3 or more days it takes a throated or jawed deer to die of dehydration, that's what's they die of, not blood loss. Dehydration, they can't feed or drink, and those last days, I imagine are spent in agony.

I am not saying the chest shot is perfect, too low and you mat skiff the brisket or blow a leg off, too high and you may skin the spine, difficult deer to follow up and these injuries may be fatal, depending on the time of year they are survivable though. Although I don't doubt again that it is agony.

This is why I stalk with my dog at heel, I wouldn't entertain doing anything else. If I am in a high seat he is sat at the bottom. This means that if I have a f**k up - and I am big enough to admit that it happens, I can have the dog on it instantly if needs be depending on the shot.

I would suggest that everyone, and I mean everyone that wants to stalk deer needs a deer dog. Not a f***ing bird dog or a rabbit dog that has never seen a deer let alone trail one but "has a good nose" but a proper, trained, experienced deer dog. Now I accept that this isn't possible for everybody but it is your responsibility to have access to one, a friend, or keeper, or stalker nearby. There are two groups now who provide this service free of charge. One is the UKSHA I cant remember the other off the top of my head.

If you are stalking deer and you don't have access to a dog, a PROPER DEER DOG no matter what shot you take you are the worst kind of arsehole.

If you are stalking deer and you don't have access to a dog, a PROPER DEER DOG no matter what shot you take you are the worst kind of arsehole.

Well that makes me the worst kind of arsehole. LOL

f**k you...

And the OP asked wondered why the previous post was removed.

This is the trouble and i said in my post that was removed this should be treated like a pub, now if john is in the pub and he is an @rsehole you dont talk to him. if john shoots and constantly misses and makes a mess there are things you can do. If Bob is in the pub and tells a story of how he did this or that then surely in chat you would say well if you did this or that you may find the outcome is better.

If you saw a guy in the pub and i stigmatize here, covered in tattoos, shaven head, known poacher, lives in a caravan,with bull terrier type known as a dog fighter, just come out of nick for ABH, your not gonna walk up to him and say go get a life and leave my rabbits alone you pky Cnut. (well most wouldnt)

so on here there is no need for swearing, calling names etc like a bunch of children.

About 3 months ago i had an issue and wanted advice and it involved the police, well the names i was called because of it, why? because i wanted to keep on the right side of the law, those on here who seem to flout the law were the worst and when i looked at some of their posts where they agreed with poaching etc i can see why they didnt like the fact i wanted to involve the police.

But this is a deer stalking forum and genuine comments are always welcome as is advice but if you have nothing nice to say its simple. whether you agree with head shots or not the topic is irrelevant, advice yes, abuse no.

You may want to say i dont agree with X because... or i did it once and X happened great those on here with a longer tooth and less hair should use some of that knowledge to help those who are not so knowledgeable, its the best way to learn.

• Like 3