• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ohh make no mistake the bds will be at the forefront of a move to compulsory access to a trained dog the simple reason being they will know they can make money from certifying the dogs/handlers as com

Well that makes me the worst kind of arsehole. LOL   f**k you...

I have & do head shoot , close range only , 60 /70 m & only of a bipod .Shooting paper at distance has no relavence to shooting deer at distance other than to confirm zero ..

Posted Images

I don't disagree with you there.

I don't want to make anything compulsory.

My original post was inflammatory but It is my opinion.

If you stalk deer without access to an adequate deer dog you are an arsehole.

I don't mean you necessarily have to own one, several of my mates call me out if they have an issue (I bring my dog.)

If you don't know anybody who has a deer dog then there are organisations who will help.

Darren, you have a deer dog, that must be because you realise their value, if one of the people who you have mentored phoned you up and asked for help finding a deer I am Sure you would take your dog and do your best.

Those people are stalking with access to a deer dog, they aren't arseholes in my opinion, neither are you.

If anybody is reading this and stalks deer and doesn't know anybody at all who has a decent deer dog then I would urge them to contact one of the tracking organisations, fins out about the scheme and put the number in their phone - you may never need it, if so, great, but when you do you will be glad you had it.

I would always help anyone in such a situation,but they are as rare as hens teeth,because of our standards in England, in these so called deer dogs, are billed as something godly in there abilities and it's not the case, blood really is easy for a dog to follow, any dog, I use a Teckel now, but there's not enough, blood work to keep the dog endaged, in a useful, way and I won't have a dog sat idle,

IMG_0856_zpse5d718d7.jpg

So a dedicated blood dog will have a boring life, better multi tasking

50944BDA-5FD3-4E4A-BC1A-4C42BFB7AA8E_zps

• Like 2

A deer dog won't always follow a blood trail, often there won't be one.

In the example that started this whole debate off a head shot was taken which resulted in a miss.

if you head or neck shoot and f**k up there will almost certainly be no blood trail.

what your dog is following then is the pheromones released by the inter digital scent glands because the deer is under stress, this differentiates it from live deer's foot scent. An experienced dog will pick this scent up amongst live deer scent. even in a park. It is impressive stuff.

I would imagine Darren that if your Teckel has as much experience as you say it would work on foot scent just as well as it does on blood trailing.

The stalker.

Just to calrify I am not saying it should be made compulsory. Really speaking it shouldn't have to be, it's just being responsible.

EVERYONE who stalks has access to a deer dog!! I keep banging on about the UKSHA and the UKDTR. They will come and trail your deer. It's what the do, for enjoyment. Often for free. You just have to take the leap and phone them.

http://www.ukdeertrackandrecovery.co.uk/

http://uksha.co.uk/

if you say on one hand everyone should have a dog and its irisponcible not to have one,

then say if you don't have one these people will come out and find it for you.

Then in essence everyone has access to a deer dog.

End of subject

A deer dog won't always follow a blood trail, often there won't be one.

In the example that started this whole debate off a head shot was taken which resulted in a miss.

if you head or neck shoot and f**k up there will almost certainly be no blood trail.

what your dog is following then is the pheromones released by the inter digital scent glands because the deer is under stress, this differentiates it from live deer's foot scent. An experienced dog will pick this scent up amongst live deer scent. even in a park. It is impressive stuff.

I would imagine Darren that if your Teckel has as much experience as you say it would work on foot scent just as well as it does on blood trailing.

to be fare when ever I take her and kill, I use the opportunity to keep the dog's nose in without dought the dog will switch at some point onto foot scent, but to be fair I always go for heart lung shots, it's a absolute act of necessity for me to take any other shot and as such there's always been a blood trail for the dog to latch onto,I can't rule out she has on occasion switched to foot scent, but you can usually, check this by the presence of blood, if I take her the morning after and put her on cold scent or even the next evening, she gets very deliberate, scratching the ground trying to confirm what she is following, the thing with old blood the scent lingers quite a while after, in the soil depending on weather, some times if you walk her up the trod the deer followed you can tell she's onto a scent but she clings close, then once we reach the point of bullet strike, and the scent of blood gets into the mix different animal all together, tail very high and pace comes right up, till she's with the carcase,at that point nothing will distract her.
  • Like 1

if you say on one hand everyone should have a dog and its irisponcible not to have one,

then say if you don't have one these people will come out and find it for you.

Then in essence everyone has access to a deer dog.

End of subject

Well yeah! That's my point!! All you have to do is pick up the phone.

How is someone going to test what a good deer dog does, this is my point about a lot of things who tests the testers, its no good saying we have some deer blood or a piece of skin and will lay trail, the end result has to be the animal is located, i take my dog to where i last saw it and let him go and sit back and wait for the barking, it can seconds or minutes if he was to come across a bit of skin he wont take any notice, its not a game and he does not want bits of skin. so is that a bad thing?

so really to test my dog you need to wound a deer and he will find it, or will i have to re train him.

• Like 1

How is someone going to test what a good deer dog does, this is my point about a lot of things who tests the testers, its no good saying we have some deer blood or a piece of skin and will lay trail, the end result has to be the animal is located, i take my dog to where i last saw it and let him go and sit back and wait for the barking, it can seconds or minutes if he was to come across a bit of skin he wont take any notice, its not a game and he does not want bits of skin.  so is that a bad thing?

so really to test my dog you need to wound a deer and he will find it, or will i have to re train him. 

On the subject of testing deer dogs, I don't know. I haven't heard anything about making it compulsory to have a deer dog.

As far as I am concerned a deer dog is a dog that is trained to find wounded deer. I have never in my life laid a trail for mine, he stalks at heel with me and is on to deer within 15 mins of shot.

What I mean by a deer dog is not your mates dog that has never seen a deer before in its life but "had a good nose" or your wife's spaniel that comes beating now and then.

If your dog can trail wounded deer, that is the majority of its work and you can hand on heart say that you can rely on it then you have a deer dog in my opinion.

That's why I keep saying that it isn't that hard!

The original poster didn't check with any type of dog at all if I remember correctly after a possible miss which he expected to find a dead deer laying in the grass. So I read from that that he thought he hit it until it wasn't lying there.

I don't mean you necessarily have to own one, several of my mates call me out if they have an issue (I bring my dog.)

If you don't know anybody who has a deer dog then there are organisations who will help.

Darren, you have a deer dog, that must be because you realise their value, if one of the people who you have mentored phoned you up and asked for help finding a deer I am Sure you would take your dog and do your best.

Those people are stalking with access to a deer dog, they aren't arseholes in my opinion, neither are you.

If anybody is reading this and stalks deer and doesn't know anybody at all who has a decent deer dog then I would urge them to contact one of the tracking organisations, fins out about the scheme and put the number in their phone - you may never need it, if so, great, but when you do you will be glad you had it.

So applying that logic, are you saying we should all have animal specific dogs? Or are you suggesting that deer are far more important than any other mammal we may hunt/shoot, calling people arseholes because they dont have a dog for deer, is just typical modern day arrogant BDS bullsh*t, sorry mate but get your head out from your arse.

• Like 1

How is someone going to test what a good deer dog does, this is my point about a lot of things who tests the testers, its no good saying we have some deer blood or a piece of skin and will lay trail, the end result has to be the animal is located, i take my dog to where i last saw it and let him go and sit back and wait for the barking, it can seconds or minutes if he was to come across a bit of skin he wont take any notice, its not a game and he does not want bits of skin.  so is that a bad thing?

On the subject of testing deer dogs, I don't know. I haven't heard anything about making it compulsory to have a deer dog.

As far as I am concerned a deer dog is a dog that is trained to find wounded deer. I have never in my life laid a trail for mine, he stalks at heel with me and is on to deer within 15 mins of shot.

What I mean by a deer dog is not your mates dog that has never seen a deer before in its life but "had a good nose" or your wife's spaniel that comes beating now and then.

If your dog can trail wounded deer, that is the majority of its work and you can hand on heart say that you can rely on it then you have a deer dog in my opinion.

That's why I keep saying that it isn't that hard!

The original poster didn't check with any type of dog at all if I remember correctly after a possible miss which he expected to find a dead deer laying in the grass. So I read from that that he thought he hit it until it wasn't lying there.

Just so we are clear the op did check with a dog I did it for him with my gsp I also walked the entire block of cover the following morning with the dog to satisfy my self that all possible effort had been made to locate the animal should it have been wounded

So applying that logic, are you saying we should all have animal specific dogs? Or are you suggesting that deer are far more important than any other mammal we may hunt/shoot, calling people arseholes because they dont have a dog for deer, is just typical modern day arrogant BDS bullsh*t, sorry mate but get your head out from your arse.

Ffs. This is stupid. You don't have to own a dog to have access to one.

A deer dog will be better for finding wounded deer.

A lurcher will be better for coursing rabbits.

A retriever will be better at picking up.

Pointers are better at pointing

Etc etc etc.

We already have different types and breeds of dogs to do different jobs.

I am not holding deer on a pedestal above any other animal I KILL DEER, lots of them.

I am not saying you have to have a specific breed but a dog that is trained for deer work and has experience of deer work will find deer. In my opinion if you don't have ACCESS to one of these dogs and you are too f***ing pig headed or lazy to phone someone who does when you make a mistake leaving a wounded animal then you are an arsehole.

I don't go wildfowling/roughshooting/pigeon shooting without my lab for the same reason.

The BDS haven't got anything to do with it. I am not even a BDS member. Never have been.

It is piss easy. Everyone can quite easily pick up the phone as I have mentioned before and use the dog tracking scheme. Just because you phone them won't make anything compulsory.

I really don't understand what is so hard to grasp.

I think I am going round in circles, I don't see the point in me posting on this subject any more because I am obviously just pissing people off and that's not what I joined the site to do.

sorry to blow another theory meet the wifes spaniel

penny 2.JPG

meet the wifes spaniel working sorry for the moving pic 

penny1.jpg

Great. Obviously your wife's spaniel doesn't just get the odd day's beating.

It is clearly an excellent deer dog with the added bonus of being able to find high seats and blue roll as well.