New Aviary

Guest Navek

Guest Navek

Been looking at buying a aviary for the back yard to keep acouple of finches in or canaries.im looking at buying one ready made but mite have ago at building one I have looked at some on the Internet and like the look of one in particular with a box on the outside for a roosting area.

If I were to make this myself should I use 2x2 frame work or could I use 2x1 pressure treated rooting timber .

Cheers

Native finches probebly wouldn't use the boxes to roost in as it goes,they'd hunker down in any cover you put in as the dark box ain't really their thing as such.If you took the front off it and had perches in there they might well roost in it but they like to be able to see whats coming type thing,one other thing about that flight is it needs a safty porch or else they'd be off past you some time and away they'd go,but a good sized aviary for a pair of somethings and what they'd produce and that's what i keep in my flights the same size,just one breeding pair and there's room for the young :thumbs: ...I'd also half cover the roof as well so it would have a sheltered end and block a side and end up from the wind..

• Like 1
Guest Navek

Ok lads so the back and side solid and the front and one side mesh with half roof coverd and lots of thick cover for them to hide away from the wind ....do you mean a safty porch as in a door infront of a door or do you mean a liten gap wich opens up to allow me to put new feed in ? Cheers

Edited by Navek

Why dont you build the doors into the solid side.....after all said and done you want to be able to sit back and watch the birds so why clutter the viewing area up with doors......and if i was you id make the doors full height not like in that picture at the top......in my opinion having doors you have a job getting through just makes you reluctant to get in there and do stuff....." i,ll do it later " type attitude :D

Build one yourself mate its only screwing bits of wood together.......good luck and keep us updated :thumbs:

And i reckon 2 x 2 is plenty.

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 3

looks good :thumbs: what are you doing for a floor?concrete slabs easy to clean and keep vermin out to a certain extent :thumbs:

I've had and still having a mare with mice under patio slabs and i so wish i had put a concrete base down first instead of laying slabs.

2x1 is too small, as said by others 2x2 should be enough but 3x2 would also be ok for the framework. I used to keep British finches in a large aviary built with 3x2 timber. It was well strong enough. Depends on the size/span of the frame really.

Guest Navek

[BANNED TEXT] lads I've been over two 6ft by 6 ft side of a shed the over lap type,not tongue and grove..was going youse these as the two solid sides off my aviary. Will they be ok ?

I'm asking because of red mite.on other forums they say use ply wood as it is less place for red mite to hide. I will buy plywood if have to but the two sides of the shed are in excellent condition and free