Help Identifying Needed ( Dog Kills Neighbours Chickens)

A few week ago my lurcher pup managed to find its way through to my cousins neighbours garden and like a fox she just went mad killing all four of there birds. 3 hens and 1 cockerel I think. Now the neighbour wants £150 to replace them. I find this a bit expensive and just need your advice. I have took a picture of the birds so could anyone identify them and give me an idea how much they cost . What does piss me off is the way they didn't have them penned off properly.

11025783_10152790520534372_3700801638823

11004567_10152790730024372_2202509229230

Thanks for your help

rew

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think your wrong to blame them cos they were not penned, how far do you need to take security for a few birds, when they are in your yard, you expect them to be safe from outside influences. If they

£150 is expensive to replace the birds, but a small price to keep the harmony.

Hope it goes ok rew.   Personally I don't think you had to explain yourself like about chilling with mates having a smoke - that's no ones business but your own, I give you credit for answering eve

Posted Images

left to right looks to be 1.Light sussex cross ,2. the whitehencould be one of a fewbreeds butlooks likely another sussex hybrid, 3.ISA brown/warren,4.Polish

£150's deffinatelya bit extreme

as for prices they vary alot but for the low quality of the birds less than £20 each maybe 25 for the polish

Edited by jacka
  • Like 4

I think your wrong to blame them cos they were not penned, how far do you need to take security for a few birds, when they are in your yard, you expect them to be safe from outside influences. If they flew into your cousins garden, things would be different, but your dog went to find them.

£150 sounds fair. You got the stress of it, the money for the birds and the money for time and petrol to replace them... Could have been a different story if there was a baby in a pram too. Nope, its your fault for not securing your dog... And thats how the law will see it I would presume. Can you imagine the meal the local rag could make out of it. We dont need anymore bad press.

• Like 14

as bob said, they dont have to have them penned atall on there land.its your responsibility to keep your dog under control,that said £150's more like compensation than cost to replace but for the agro caused i suppose it's fair

• Like 2

£150 might make you think about keeping the dog within your own boundaries in the future, could have just as easily been someones pet rabbit or hamster. if you struggle to keep it on your own property then build a proper kennel and run for when you do not have time to watch it.

That's why I do need to know what breed they are so thanks jacka. I can replace them myself because they had them given to them. It was my fault obviously, I just had a week of bad luck, first the vet job with my oldest dog, then this , plus my pup getting a small infection in her eye. I am meant to be building a kennel as well to stop my pup escaping. Its all happening at once. cheers

My cousins neighbours, I stayed at his after a long nights lamping. I forgot all about the chickens next door and let my dogs out for a piss. Don't really need to brake them to chickens normally. I agree, they must have been pissed. My luck might be getting better because I won on a scratchy yesterday. £30 to put towards them .

if you're going to replace them you want to be looking foreither sussexstar hybrid,or better still pure bred light sussex x2, isa brown,goldstar or warren hybrid and gold laced or buff laced polish plus a bottle for the trouble caused and the guarentee it wont happen again, should be able to do that with better quality birds for less than a hundred

• Like 3

Agree with above posts, yes it may be a lot of money but to keep the harmony and tensions down - if it was me I'd just pay the £150 and hope to god nothing else' comes of it.

When I got into birds i had no choice but to 'break' the dogs to them - we had a situation where the big boys got out and went to town on 20 birds was my fault, but lucky I lost no birds when I told them to stop they stopped and let the hens go. So rather than lock everything up I decided to bring 'love' to the funny farm :laugh:

took all of a week which is a small amount of time to make sure I have no losses (and my poultry are not worth much money but the time and costs adds up)

• Like 1

had a bit of a chicken problem 2 weeks ago were someone had place a few chicken pens over hedge an onto a bit waste ground. I couldn't get through the hedge to catch the dog.. in your case id get him 4 laying hens they prob be better than what he had

Aye 150 seems about right.I no a woman who thinks of her chickings as kids.she would of killed ya lol..

Looking at their set up, they were`nt looked upon as family lol.

Thing is, its like the "all breakages must be paid for" signs in shops... You cant haggle on the price once you`ve broke it.

• Like 1