My first deer...........

Hi all,after my first ever introduction to stalking last week,and watching how the stalker does things,this week I got my chance to drop a Fallow of my own.And,to say that I was excited is a massive understatement.

I arrived at the Estate in the New Forest at 0515hrs,and pulled into the carpark in front of the larder,to be met by the stalker,and,a syndicate member,and guest.We had a little chat to introduce each other,and then marked on the board where we were going to be shooting in the Estate,so,if anyone turned up late they would know where we were(safety first).I was lucky enough to be able to shoot from the VIP's only high seat.This seat is absolutely massive,and,wouldn't be out of place on the serengetti looking out over the plains.there was four rides that led away from the high seat,and we got there well before light.The gsp was laid out at the bottom of the ladder asleep almost by the time we were esconced in the chairs up in the seat(all very comfortable).This time i took my swarovski 10x42's,because last week I only took my compacts,and,they didn't gather anything like enough light to see much before the light was completely up.So,we scanned the rides for what seemed ages,and then,Crack a shot went off to the right of us,obviously the others had been lucky enough to get a shot off.That made me feel even more anxious as it was to be my first shot at a deer.After 2-3 minutes there was a small flurry of movement down the ride in front of me at about 90mtrs,there was a herd of Fallow that were obviously moved on from the field to the right of the ride by the shot earlier.2 very big Stags loped across the ride with a bevvy of beautiful Fallow does.The trouble was,they just kept moving,and,I thought that was my chance for the morning gone.The stalker poured hiself a cup of coffee from his flask,and,my heart sunk.But,just as I was resigned to the worst,a dark shape slowly moved across the ride,then another,then another.It was another smaller herd that must of been in the field with the others.There were 3 does stood very close to each other,so,with nervous anticipation I waited for a clear shot,and,I didn't have to wait too long as 2 of the does just slowly walked away from a nice size doe,and she gave me a nice side on shot.To be totally honest,I thought earlier that I would be very nervous actually taking the shot,but,as I brought the rifle up to the target I just went into serious mode.I went for a heart/lung shot,and,placed the cross hairs just where I needed them,I slipped the safety off and carefully squeezed the trigger...............CRACK the shot rang out,and,I knew instinctively that it was a good one.The doe leapt into the air and careered off straight down the ride.

DSC_0041-2.jpg

The stalker,who was watching through his binoculars assured me that it was a good shot,and,that was when the adrenilin really kicked in.I was absolutely shaking with relief that I had made a good/humane shot,and,I was buzzing with the excitement that goes with this sport......I had 'Popped my Cherry' so to speak,and I was the happiest man alive!!!

We waited in the high seat for another opportunity,and,25 minutes later,just as we were going to retrieve the shot doe,behind us along another of the rides,I spotted a large Stag with 2 does.The stalker took out his range finder as they were quite a way off.They were just under 200 mtrs away,and,he brought the rifle up,and,this time I was watching from behind with my binoculars.There was aproblem though.....the Stag just wouldn't get out of the way.The Stag was too big and out of condition(smelly)to take,and,the does just slowly wandered off into the trees,and out of the firing line,thay never returned unfortunately,so we climbed down the ladder to find my prize.She had run on,but,only about 20-30mtrs,and was dead as a door nail.I was ecstatic,and,above all,it was a perfect shot.We dragged it to a tree,and I gralloched it,something that I hadn't done with a deer before,but,as I was a slaughterman for 25yrs,I had no trouble at all.We walked back to the truck,and,drove back to pick up my first deer.

We got back to the larder and booked it into the fridge,it weighed 34kg.and,just then the other lads came into the carpark,and they had had 2 does,both to one of them,the other chap didn't have a decent chance,and seeing as he hadn't been out for 5yrs he let a very long shot go,and live for another day.We all had a good natter,and,chewed the fat for 1/2 hour,and then we made our way off home........it was a fantastic day that I will remember for the rest of my life,and,thankyou for letting me tell you about it.................................martin.

And here she is..................

DSC_0048-3.jpg

excellent write up there martin,

As with all good things they come to those who wait. well done and hope it's the first of many..... :thumbs:

Thanks 'SS' it may well be,cos I'm out again Tuesday so hopefully I will have another story for you..............martin :thumbs: