Make Your Own Tools Thread.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok a lot of folks showing interest in the deer antler Opinels i have been doing so did a step by step tutorial when i made Flackos one.Posting here to keep all my stuff on one thread.   Use surclip

Thanks Guys, Glad you like them.   Heres the latest made it today. It's a Opinel No 12. Carved a wolf paw on the end of the handle.              

Thanks again for the feedback, hope i didn't bore you with too much detail. Job now complete, couple of pics with stove fitted and first fire, works a treat and much more efficient/ controllable than

Posted Images

Griff. Just answered my own question pal. Thought that hot blower had something to do with if. Paint stripper. The other gadget is the wallpaper stripper. Happy days. Jok.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Made up this simple press for making Kydex sheaths. Couple of bits of angle iron, old hinge cut in half. cuttings of 19mm plywood, 25mm neoprene.

Kydex heated in the oven to 150 oc folded over the knife and clamped in the press until cool.

P1060293_zpspc5lforq.jpg

P1060288_zpsla0vw4yt.jpg

P1060290_zpsmzpxlz42.jpg

P1060292_zpsq7o8vef6.jpg

P1060488_zpsyuuvoq46.jpg

Played with a lot of opinels recently but not actually made a Knife for a while. Did this design a while back and decided to give it a go. Bit of an all rounder, hunter/skinner. Blade is 5inches long landy leaf spring with the 4.25 inch micarta handle cast direct on to it. Few step by step pics, more to follow. It will be up for sale on completion.

Blank ground to shape and annealed ready for hardening.

P1060473_zps58dd9pap.jpg

Plenty of decent size holes for the micarta to be cast right through the tang.

P1060475_zpslbsy3j7u.jpg

Out of the oven after temper.

P1060480_zpslpoxobxt.jpg

Preparing micarta -8 layers of black, 8 layers grey denim and 2 layers of red fleece per side.

P1060476_zpslro7dxhv.jpg

Layers all resined up and clamped in place

P1060481_zpslrpzsza5.jpg

Next day

P1060482_zpssjtdsomm.jpg

Roughed out on bandsaw

P1060485_zpsi0volifj.jpg

P1060487_zpsgsxisfuu.jpg

Handle shaped up and buffed.

P1060494_zpsu3iinupv.jpg

P1060495_zpsxgguvzgj.jpg

More pics of finished knife to follow.

• Like 5

Great work as always Griff , I really like the fact you can make something out of a Land Rover that doesn't leak , is usefull, reliable and bits don't drop of ...

Thanks Sussex, got those two opinels finished for you today, will get them in the post Monday.

Griff

Cheers Griff they look like all the rest QUALITY ..I'll send one over to my brother he loves an opinel and I'll keep the other ..looking forward to seeing what you make out of the rest of the antler ..thanks again ..

• Like 1

The opinels are great little knives, bought another carbone recently, but they are a feckin pain with regards trying to keep any moisture off the blade.

Any minute particle of moisture on the blade and it is rusting and pitting straight away.

SINDASOX

Any carbon steel blade is the same-it's the price you pay for having a blade that will take and hold a good cutting edge. Look after them and they will serve you well. If you want something shaped like a knife that you can get wet, throw in a corner until next time you use it then get a stainless steel blade.

Griff