Make Your Own Tools Thread.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok a lot of folks showing interest in the deer antler Opinels i have been doing so did a step by step tutorial when i made Flackos one.Posting here to keep all my stuff on one thread.   Use surclip

Thanks Guys, Glad you like them.   Heres the latest made it today. It's a Opinel No 12. Carved a wolf paw on the end of the handle.              

Thanks again for the feedback, hope i didn't bore you with too much detail. Job now complete, couple of pics with stove fitted and first fire, works a treat and much more efficient/ controllable than

Posted Images

Started this commission for a drop point hunter today....a few WIP pics for you.

Landy spring, paper design and hard-board template.

P1060691_zpszibtflkf.jpg

Rough grind up with angle grinder to get rid of rust/ pits.

P1060693_zpsjajojrvm.jpg

Template clamped on ready for cutting.

P1060694_zpsdugldian.jpg

Plasma cutter in action

P1060695_zpskc8virtu.jpg

P1060696_zpsiscb2qda.jpg

P1060699_zpsxlnpf7sk.jpg

On to the belt grinder

P1060700_zps5ato6buz.jpg

P1060701_zpsrxgz8ubn.jpg

P1060703_zpsyodvjyod.jpg

Now the bevels

P1060705_zpskhgbr5gs.jpg

P1060706_zps97acufa4.jpg

• Like 7

How long did it take from start to where your at now Griff ?

Three hours. Thats all rough grind though it is the finishing & detail that takes the time.

If using new stock it would be faster, but not the same satisfaction as taking something that is scrap and turning it into something of value.

Griff

• Like 2

Ever thought about doing demos, or lessons griff, maybe have folk come to you an ye help or atleast let them help you make there own knife or summat? Ye got vids on youtube?

No vid's.....took me all my time to sus out how to post pics :laugh:

As for teaching others.....I taught my lad what i know about making knives....now he is teaching me. ;)

Always happy to share info... but as for something official...too much red tape now a days to let the public loose on machines like mine with most guards and safety features non existent. :thumbs:

Griff

• Like 2

Well son. I wonder at folks sometimes. When you make something as good as you do, the hours it takes and the finishing, cost is pretty much immaterial. I put an idea into Tony Glovers head the other day ( the snooker cue maker), and lo and behold we have started a project that will probably take about 3/5 weeks. A friend of mine has taken on the commission with a budget of £1500.00. My quest is to make a one off, never to be copied, identifiable exotic coloured woods, one piece snooker cue. The woods will probably never be available again unless some hoarder comes to the surface with stocks from long, long ago. I may have already mentioned that we are on the lookout for black bog oak which, I believe , can be carbon dated to over many thousands of years. (Google). I have a personal feel for orange, lavender and white with either black ebony or bog oak. This will be the cue to die for. Tony Glover deserves a mention as well. He just gifted me one of his first ever cues, made adopt 20 years ago and it is absolutely beautiful. Still can't play but hey ho. Jok.

• Like 2

Well son. I wonder at folks sometimes. When you make something as good as you do, the hours it takes and the finishing, cost is pretty much immaterial. I put an idea into Tony Glovers head the other day ( the snooker cue maker), and lo and behold we have started a project that will probably take about 3/5 weeks. A friend of mine has taken on the commission with a budget of £1500.00. My quest is to make a one off, never to be copied, identifiable exotic coloured woods, one piece snooker cue. The woods will probably never be available again unless some hoarder comes to the surface with stocks from long, long ago. I may have already mentioned that we are on the lookout for black bog oak which, I believe , can be carbon dated to over many thousands of years. (Google). I have a personal feel for orange, lavender and white with either black ebony or bog oak. This will be the cue to die for. Tony Glover deserves a mention as well. He just gifted me one of his first ever cues, made adopt 20 years ago and it is absolutely beautiful. Still can't play but hey ho. Jok.

Sounds intriguing Jok, look forward to seeing a pic of the finished cue.

A couple more WIP pics of the drop point. A bit slower progress than hoped for as the speed controller on my belt grinder blew up..a new one ordered but in the meantime all hand work to get the final shape/finish.

Final shape & heat treatment/temper below.

P1060722_zps8ddzqbrf.jpg

P1060724_zpsilqnfxfz.jpg

Made up this simple folder at the weekend. Calling it "Tinkers Companion" as i made it from what was lying around. Blade id a piece of HSS knife out of my Planer/thicknesser cold ground to retain original temper. Handle a cutting of antler. Stainless pins with brass seats made from rollers out of old curtain track. Phosphor bronze contact plates. Silver buffalo end cap.

P1060570_zpsv6ouaxgd.jpg

P1060626_zpszq2o6rth.jpg

P1060598_zpsbkyzb31q.jpg

P1060593_zpsnp3busrp.jpg

P1060643_zpsfdqkz07p.jpg

P1060614_zps67bti4yt.jpg

P1060608_zpsyeztftkm.jpg

More pics here http://s166.photobucket.com/user/gruffalogriff/library/Tinkers%20Companion?sort=3&page=1

what a piece of work.genius.

• Like 1

I snatched a bit of time here and there over the last week to do a bit more on the drop point.

Blue denim/ red fleece micarta cast direct on the handle.

P1060735_zpsaovefteo.jpg

P1060736_zpsqrchrccq.jpg

Roughed out on the bandsaw

P1060737_zpskbjalg1f.jpg

Micarta shaped up and polished.

P1060764_zpsjhqh0rvh.jpg

P1060777_zpsfmvsp5wl.jpg

Knife nearing completion.

P1060762_zpslr8megec.jpg

P1060769_zpsyzjlyazm.jpg

• Like 4