Make Your Own Tools Thread.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok a lot of folks showing interest in the deer antler Opinels i have been doing so did a step by step tutorial when i made Flackos one.Posting here to keep all my stuff on one thread.   Use surclip

Thanks Guys, Glad you like them.   Heres the latest made it today. It's a Opinel No 12. Carved a wolf paw on the end of the handle.              

Thanks again for the feedback, hope i didn't bore you with too much detail. Job now complete, couple of pics with stove fitted and first fire, works a treat and much more efficient/ controllable than

Posted Images

Whats proper way to look after these carbon blades? And are blades on mora clippers any good?

keep em clean and a wipe with oil when not in use all carbon steel will tarnish get a patina on it its the nature of the beast not all high carbon steels are the same i think im right in saying it has to have a minimum of 13% cromium to become stainless , but that doesnt neccesarly meen compleatly stainless i never sore a butcher with a dirty knife and untill relativly recently all there knives were carbon steel . .

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Cheers Griff they look like all the rest QUALITY ..I'll send one over to my brother he loves an opinel and I'll keep the other ..looking forward to seeing what you make out of the rest of the antler ..thanks again ..

Plenty of antler now to play with....just need to find the time.

Fallow antler compliments of sussex, top bloke thank you! :toast:

P1060567_zps26iphcg1.jpg

Also just had a long weekend and got some Highland red stag from a stalker on the west coast.

P1060561_zpsjoo8gy1u.jpg

• Like 2

Cheers Griff they look like all the rest QUALITY ..I'll send one over to my brother he loves an opinel and I'll keep the other ..looking forward to seeing what you make out of the rest of the antler ..thanks again ..

Plenty of antler now to play with....just need to find the time.

Fallow antler compliments of sussex, top bloke thank you! :toast:

P1060567_zps26iphcg1.jpg

Also just had a long weekend and got some Highland red stag from a stalker on the west coast.

P1060561_zpsjoo8gy1u.jpg

No excuses now mate best you get to work ?

Just finished a nice stick (Griff) and it should be on it's way early next week. I've asked the recipient to put some pics up. In the crown is an Irish punt showing the red stag and on the cheek I've mounted a pair of rising mallard. Horn to shaft is polished red buffalo horn and the shaft itself is green hazel. I found some nice plastic coating for the head and a transparent polish for the shaft. Stiff as anything so will make a good hill stick or in fact wading stick as should be completely waterproof. Not forgotten you either. The antler is in the workshop but I keep changing my mind about what to do with it. Ffs. Do you get out much with dogs or have any particular sporting interests? Just that seeing your work I feel obliged to do something a bit different. Might involve the Dremel evenJok.

Just finished a nice stick (Griff) and it should be on it's way early next week. I've asked the recipient to put some pics up. In the crown is an Irish punt showing the red stag and on the cheek I've mounted a pair of rising mallard. Horn to shaft is polished red buffalo horn and the shaft itself is green hazel. I found some nice plastic coating for the head and a transparent polish for the shaft. Stiff as anything so will make a good hill stick or in fact wading stick as should be completely waterproof. Not forgotten you either. The antler is in the workshop but I keep changing my mind about what to do with it. Ffs. Do you get out much with dogs or have any particular sporting interests? Just that seeing your work I feel obliged to do something a bit different. Might involve the Dremel evenJok.

Look forward to seeing the pics of the stick. Only place i go is the shed! :laugh:

Made up this simple folder at the weekend. Calling it "Tinkers Companion" as i made it from what was lying around. Blade id a piece of HSS knife out of my Planer/thicknesser cold ground to retain original temper. Handle a cutting of antler. Stainless pins with brass seats made from rollers out of old curtain track. Phosphor bronze contact plates. Silver buffalo end cap.

P1060570_zpsv6ouaxgd.jpg

P1060626_zpszq2o6rth.jpg

P1060598_zpsbkyzb31q.jpg

P1060593_zpsnp3busrp.jpg

P1060643_zpsfdqkz07p.jpg

P1060614_zps67bti4yt.jpg

P1060608_zpsyeztftkm.jpg

More pics here http://s166.photobucket.com/user/gruffalogriff/library/Tinkers%20Companion?sort=3&page=1

• Like 9

nice work as always Griff ..all sounds so simple when you do it , if that was me I'd need all the knives out of the planer , at least four full sets of head gear from deer , three miles of curtain track and four hundred weight of silver coins ..even then all I had wouldn't cut a ripe banana ?

• Like 1

They are making the exact same type of knife on forged in fire NOW .......

I will have to take a look. I got the idea from searching fiction folder on google images....the rest i just made up as i went along.

The idea was to make a legal carry knife (blade is 65mm) with durable cutting edge and a decent point. I sharpened it up, sliced up a medium size cardboard box into 1" strips and it still slices paper held between thumb & forefinger..... so i think mission accomplished.

P1060644_zps3sqt8an0.jpg

Should have said, wish I had a bag of antler like that. Lol. Jok.

Cost me a hundred quid but there are 20 antlers so not bad looking at it that way. Sell a couple of Opinels and it will pay for itself.

Bit quiet on here lads & lasses.......nobody made anything or got any banter?

Cheers

Griff