10 Gauge Are They Worth It As A Practical Hunting Weapon

I was greatly honorred today when i was with a friend of mine . he is big collector of weapons and we were able to run through his selection of shotguns.

so i posted this question in the reloading section as the hulls are not shop brought and i wish to discuss figures of load data as a point of discussion.

I had been to the shop to buy shells in most sizes .410, 12g, 16g, 20g,

but not the big three he has 10G, 8G and 4G.He himself admits that the 4g and 8g are really just for accademic study rather than practical use but stated that the 10g does still have a place in the hunting world.

now this got me thinking after i had to part with cash to purchase the cartridges off him to use today at 60pence each for the 10 g and the others at a pound each

does a 10 gauge still have a practical use, looking at the load data via hodgens data on line system they run 57gm of shot 2 oz in old english with 2.6gm of powder at those levels does a normal 12g not match them with modern loads, ok so your not going to put 50gm into a 12g but the effects are very very well matched if you think about it the old gauge has been replaced with the modern systems

after that we spent some time reloading shells of various sizes for him

looking at the 10 gauge again reloading wise they work out after purchase of the mec 600 and hulls at around the 50pence mark reloaded with the hulls adding another 50p when new, brass i have heard of but not priced

with modern 12gauge shells at half that i still ask the question is it worth it as a practical weapon to hunt with or are they just a novelty gun in the back of the cabinet to see how strong someones shoulder is??

apart from all of that

i still wamt one, maybe two or three

and the 4 gauge of course

and maybe i can just slide in the 8 gauge to the other side of the locker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

does anyone sell a gun cabinat seven foot tall for the punt gun as well