Tips For Longnetting Hares.

Bag them don't crate them you will need a lot more net or loads of beaters me and an old boy that I used to get about with.had some.success with gate netting hares and moving the to a farm where we had perms lol those were the days

DO NOT bag hares. Crate them or they may die. Crate them in boxes where they can't move too much. They are an animal that gets stressed, in a bag they will suffocate.
never had one die and we moved 30 or so how can it suffocate in a Hessian sack don't make sence bit of a random statement Darcy suppose it would in a bin liner lol edited t o say all animals get stressed once court just don't over handle them and keep any noise to a minimum and yes old Sam would only release at night he reckoned they stay put then don't know what the reasoning behind it was but they did

OK Bud, you know best... :victory:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Leverets will be left if you relocate now..saying that they breed most months. if i was doing it id leave it to october and use some well placed Gate nets (or simular) and a spaniel or lab .   Edite

they'd be the crush factor to consider even in a hessian sack, theres no support in a sack it might hold a hare or six hares and the sack changes shape, moving anything live and animal welfare comes f

IMO if you've never netted hares before I would certainly get some one who experienced to help you. If hares are driven on their own terms you'll be surprised how few beaters you'd need but if you wa

Bag them don't crate them you will need a lot more net or loads of beaters me and an old boy that I used to get about with.had some.success with gate netting hares and moving the to a farm where we had perms lol those were the days

DO NOT bag hares. Crate them or they may die. Crate them in boxes where they can't move too much. They are an animal that gets stressed, in a bag they will suffocate.

never had one die and we moved 30 or so how can it suffocate in a Hessian sack don't make sence bit of a random statement Darcy suppose it would in a bin liner lol edited t o say all animals get stressed once court just don't over handle them and keep any noise to a minimum and yes old Sam would only release at night he reckoned they stay put then don't know what the reasoning behind it was but they did

NO HE DOESN'T BOXES EVERY TIME

all I'm saying is it worked for us
  • Like 1

all I'm saying is it worked for us

worked for me too, but il be trying carrying boxes made out sewer pipe.

they'd be the crush factor to consider even in a hessian sack, theres no support in a sack it might hold a hare or six hares and the sack changes shape, moving anything live and animal welfare comes first and thats why boxes were used

Y.I.S Leeview

• Like 4

dont know if theres any truth in it but was told when you release do it at night :hmm:

releasing at night is only part of it, if you were netted,placed in a box,transported and released onto a new landscape would you hang about?

Y.I.S Leeview

There was a TV programme where Johnny Kingdom was long netting hares to relocate them , I cant find it on YouTube

I tried finding it and couldn't, I tracked it down to one of Johnnys New Kingdom series.

This is a one off project and don't think it is worth me making boxes for it. I'm sure if I bag them individually and carfully handle them and keep them dark they should be OK. The relocation site is only a few miles down the road. It is a large ex MOD site which is entirely fenced so they shouldn't be able to bugger off.

they'd be the crush factor to consider even in a hessian sack, theres no support in a sack it might hold a hare or six hares and the sack changes shape, moving anything live and animal welfare comes first and thats why boxes were used

Y.I.S Leeview

where we were you'll never get more than 3 a night

IMO if you've never netted hares before I would certainly get some one who experienced to help you.

If hares are driven on their own terms you'll be surprised how few beaters you'd need but if you want to drive hares where they don't want to go then dozens of beaters wont succeed.

Also, depending on the country 200 yards of net might work in the right place when 1000 set badly wont.

Boxes only IMO and ones made for the job also.

Another reason to bring someone who's been there, done that is that not only are hares stressed easily but if handled badly a hare can cause serious injury to you.

I've seen lads have to get hands stitched from a hares powerful back feet and a bite from a hare is sore too.

I remember a lad volunteering to stay at a net. "Piece of piss, I've netted 100s of rabbits" he said.

When I went over to him later he had a hare wrapped in a net and was standing either side of the hare, holding it down.

It had bitten him and he was terrified.

LOL, the same lad nowadays writes a weekly column on coursing in the press.

• Like 4

Y.I.S Leeview

why no more than 3 in a night? land not suitable, lampers or regularly disturbed?

Y.I.S Leeview

Y.I.S Leeview

why no more than 3 in a night? land not suitable, lampers or regularly disturbed?

Y.I.S Leeview

small fields all linked by gate ways lined with hedge just didn't ever get over 3 in a night It took us nearly 3 months to get 31 from 4 different farms

Best time to net hares is at night on the lamp.Suss out the area for a few days and find there runs,gaps in hedges,bridges,gates and all you will need is maybe 1 person along with you to be ready to get to the net as a hare can kill itself jumping about before it gets rightly tangled up.I also think it is less stressfull when done at night.When taking hares out of nets hold them just under the back leg and if there squeeling throw the sack over there head and they stop,little bit of a stick in there gob will stop them from biting as they do give a nasty bite.

Best time to net hares is at night on the lamp.Suss out the area for a few days and find there runs,gaps in hedges,bridges,gates and all you will need is maybe 1 person along with you to be ready to get to the net as a hare can kill itself jumping about before it gets rightly tangled up.I also think it is less stressfull when done at night.When taking hares out of nets hold them just under the back leg and if there squeeling throw the sack over there head and they stop,little bit of a stick in there gob will stop them from biting as they do give a nasty bite.

WHAT A LOAD OF BULLSHIT
  • Like 3