Tips For Longnetting Hares.

Hi all,

I've been asked to relocate some hares and have access to land well populated with hare, quite big fields. Has anybody got any tips for longnetting hares in the day. I have 200yds of 6z rabbit longnet.

Will I need alot of beaters I gues flags would be a good idea? Is the net ok, someone on here said it should be taller with bigger mesh?

I have got pheasant/chicken crates for transport will they get hurt in them, is there something better? Any other tips for driving them etc...

Sorry, alot of questions, any help much appreciated. :thumbs:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Leverets will be left if you relocate now..saying that they breed most months. if i was doing it id leave it to october and use some well placed Gate nets (or simular) and a spaniel or lab .   Edite

they'd be the crush factor to consider even in a hessian sack, theres no support in a sack it might hold a hare or six hares and the sack changes shape, moving anything live and animal welfare comes f

IMO if you've never netted hares before I would certainly get some one who experienced to help you. If hares are driven on their own terms you'll be surprised how few beaters you'd need but if you wa

Hi George,..200 yards ain't a lot ,....you might need a wee bit more net...... :hmm:

Beaters will encourage the hares to go the way you want them to,.but local knowledge of their likely travelways, is essential.. :thumbs:

All the best, Phil.

• Like 1

I remember seeing some old photos in a book years ago about transporting hares. They were in very narrow partitioned bits in a wooden box so they couldn't jump about or even turn round, as apparently if they are in anything much bigger than their own body width and length they go crazy and injure themselves. They also need to be kept in a dark container as opposed to a mesh crate.

• Like 2

Leverets will be left if you relocate now..saying that they breed most months. if i was doing it id leave it to october and use some well placed Gate nets (or simular) and a spaniel or lab .

Edited to add...

Bugger...you beat me to it dave.. :laugh:

• Like 4

Hi George,..200 yards ain't a lot ,....you might need a wee bit more net...... :hmm:

Beaters will encourage the hares to go the way you want them to,.but local knowledge of their likely travelways, is essential.. :thumbs:

All the best, Phil.

Got to agree 200yds ain't a lot of net ...if your after more than one for the pot :yes: when relocating Hares I've often seen 1200yds of net set when taking them from East Anglia and Hampshire to go up north.

Y.I.S Leeview

my next plan for transport boxes is 10" sewer pipe an two stop ends an a strap a bit like a ferret caring box

the transport boxes would nt of been over 6" deep and the compartments same size but 24" long usually to hold 4 or 6 Hares in individual compartments.

your sewer pipes might be ok one on each shoulder but cumbersome if you have a few to carry

Y.I.S Leeview

Edited by Leeview
  • Like 2

Thanks guys, I didn't think there would be leveretts about already perhaps I'll leave it till later in the year.

There are a couple of pinch points on the fields that I want to drive that I hope they will run through that I should be able to cover. (I bet they'll f off into the woods though!) Perhaps a bit more research is required.

Hesian sacks or bags might be the way to go, you can get those individual ones from the biulders merchants for sand bags that would be just the right size and they won't be able to move much in them...just a thought.

my next plan for transport boxes is 10" sewer pipe an two stop ends an a strap a bit like a ferret caring box

the transport boxes would nt of been over 6" deep and the compartments same size but 24" long usually to hold 4 or 6 Hares in individual compartments.

your sewer pipes might be ok one on each shoulder but cumbersome if you have a few to carry

Y.I.S Leeview

I only get one or two at most lee, the pipe could be reduced down to 7 or 8 it just an experiment for the transporting them iv never seen a cop asking for ferret box to be open lol

Thanks guys, I didn't think there would be leveretts about already perhaps I'll leave it till later in the year.

There are a couple of pinch points on the fields that I want to drive that I hope they will run through that I should be able to cover. (I bet they'll f off into the woods though!) Perhaps a bit more research is required.

Hesian sacks or bags might be the way to go, you can get those individual ones from the biulders merchants for sand bags that would be just the right size and they won't be able to move much in them...just a thought.

do all your ground work now mate an take note of there escape routes
  • Like 1

Bag them don't crate them you will need a lot more net or loads of beaters me and an old boy that I used to get about with.had some.success with gate netting hares and moving the to a farm where we had perms lol those were the days

• Like 1

Bag them don't crate them you will need a lot more net or loads of beaters me and an old boy that I used to get about with.had some.success with gate netting hares and moving the to a farm where we had perms lol those were the days

DO NOT bag hares. Crate them or they may die. Crate them in boxes where they can't move too much. They are an animal that gets stressed, in a bag they will suffocate.

• Like 2

DO NOT bag hares. Crate them or they may die. Crate them in boxes where they can't move too much. They are an animal that gets stressed, in a bag they will suffocate.
never had one die and we moved 30 or so how can it suffocate in a Hessian sack don't make sence bit of a random statement Darcy suppose it would in a bin liner lol edited t o say all animals get stressed once court just don't over handle them and keep any noise to a minimum and yes old Sam would only release at night he reckoned they stay put then don't know what the reasoning behind it was but they did Edited by leethedog