Well, I can only speak from my own experience. I get good results from Flatpacks and Putanges and do OK with Talpex when the soil is right for them. Mostly I'm setting in claggy clay soil with a lot of stones or turf. I tried them for a couple of months but had a lot of back end captures and also traps set off and back filled. I rarely get a false activation with a Putange and all the captures are neck or skull. The way I see it, two pieces of bent wire can't really go wrong.

I gather these 'putanges' are a similar design, to the 'nomol' ? My brother sent me over the 'nomol', (lives in the states) long before, they took off over here.I tried them out for the 'novelty', and caught with IT (only set one , without pegging it with the cane) lol,....so i dont doubt at all, you can catch well, with them.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

DOES A MASTER BUTCHER HAVE ONLY ONE KNIFE?

I don't understand this bit about Elastoplast. Didn't have a problem setting them. But I used them in different jobs for a couple of months and ended up throwing them on the 'useless traps pile'. Too

I really, really want to like the Traplines; I think the design’s innovative, they’re so quick and easy to set, they last forever and they’re so small you can keep enough in your pockets to do a domes

" in my opinion some of the foul captures are caused by a mole going over the top of the trigger hoop and then catching it by the back leg " ,..... i doubt it, the moles body has cleared the 'jaws', by then ? (hope i understand what you mean, this time ?) lol

Catching the trigger hoop by its back leg causing it to go off after the mole has cleared the jaws.

ha ha ha , apologies, what am i like today ?

" in my opinion some of the foul captures are caused by a mole going over the top of the trigger hoop and then catching it by the back leg " ,..... i doubt it, the moles body has cleared the 'jaws', by then ? (hope i understand what you mean, this time ?) lol

wrong again your changing. "catching it by " From "catching it with"

lol im just not with it, ha ha ( and thats without a drink !)

Catching the trigger hoop by its back leg causing it to go off after the mole has cleared the jaws.

What im saying, still applies,..lol

What im saying, still applies,..lol

confused you will be,....and i am,...ha ha ha,...but, I KNOW WHAT I MEAN, lol

For the sake of clarity; I mean that I think the moles back leg may activate the trigger (knocking it forward) as the mole climbs over it. Hence the jaws not having anything in them.

For the sake of clarity; I mean that I think the moles back leg may activate the trigger (knocking it forward) as the mole climbs over it. Hence the jaws not having anything in them.
I know what you mean

Yes, and i may have 'misinterpreted' what you meant by "foul capture", also.Cause i thought you meant caught or even 'pinched', the mole, in an undesirable part of its body ? But maybe you didnt ? ( just to confuse matters, further) ha ha ha .

Yes, and i may have 'misinterpreted' what you meant by "foul capture", also.Cause i thought you meant caught or even 'pinched', the mole, in an undesirable part of its body ? But maybe you didnt ? ( just to confuse matters, further) ha ha ha .

Someone else described having moles pinched under their belly. Do try and keep up.

Someone else described having moles pinched under their belly. Do try and keep up.

Yes, but i like how you used "foul capture" and "false activation", in a couple of points.So i think we both know what you REALLY meant ? (or did you make a mistake ?) LOL

I have had the traplines since 2009 and find them a great trap. |I do use half barrel and Talpex but rely on the traplines as my mainstay.

Foul catches and filled traps are most often due to mis alignment either hoizontally or vertically in the tunnel due to changes in gradients, bends in the tunnel or where a tunnel changes width/diameter.

I have had a few foul catches and have looked into why they occured.

Caught by a front paw because the mole had gone over or around the first trap and bumbled into the second trap firing it as it straddled the frame.

Caught by the belly because soft loose soil you are prone to push too much pressure on the spring retainercausing the jaws and frame to sink too low for a clean catch.

Never had a rear foot caught mole but can only think that the mole had gone over a trap that had been deeply bedded or had a cave-in and got best part throght the jaws over a pile of soil and dragged its belly on the trigger firing it to catch its foot.

I seem to recall that when I spoke to Steve Albano he said that he makes different size traps for moles as the US moles are different in size depending on species( ours are bigger I think), and asked for feedback on sample traps he sent over.

I have found recently that the jaw spread is too small for some of the old travelling tunnels and some areas of territory that have been used for years, but you just need to change to a Talpex or move to newer feeding runs, flexibility is the name of the game.

• Like 1

I have had the traplines since 2009 and find them a great trap. |I do use half barrel and Talpex but rely on the traplines as my mainstay.

Foul catches and filled traps are most often due to mis alignment either hoizontally or vertically in the tunnel due to changes in gradients, bends in the tunnel or where a tunnel changes width/diameter.

Caught by a front paw because the mole had gone over or around the first trap and bumbled into the second trap firing it as it straddled the frame.

Caught by the belly because soft loose soil you are prone to push too much pressure on the spring retainercausing the jaws and frame to sink too low for a clean catch.

Never had a rear foot caught mole but can only think that the mole had gone over a trap that had been deeply bedded or had a cave-in and got best part throght the jaws over a pile of soil and dragged its belly on the trigger firing it to catch its foot.

I seem to recall that when I spoke to Steve Albano he said that he makes different size traps for moles as the US moles are different in size depending on species( ours are bigger I think), and asked for feedback on sample traps he sent over.

I have found recently that the jaw spread is too small for some of the old travelling tunnels and some areas of territory that have been used for years, but you just need to change to a Talpex or move to newer feeding runs, flexibility is the name of the game.

Thats what i thought "foul catches" meant too, Talpa,..lol

• Like 1

Yes, you are right. It should have read that too many false activations are caused by the mole going over the trigger hurdle then activating the trigger with its back leg.

The foul captures were mainly back end, around the hips and in at least one case the mole had managed to crawl to the surface. The trap had been pinned but in a very shallow run and it had hinged on the pin. I had more foul captures and blocked tunnels with the trap having gone off than was good for me so I stopped using them.

Just for further clarification; I wasn't the one who reported catching a mole by the stomach being pinched or the traps having bits of fur on them. That is another member.