Goose shooting advice??????????

ok was due to shoot a stubble field tomorrow that i have been watching the geese flighting onto for the last few days, only to discover that the farmer has given it away to some french lads for big bucks no doubt :thumbdown:

he has said i can try anywhere else on the farm, but i watched all the other fields today and only one held geese and only a small group of about 20, the rest either flighted off the loch and went elsewhere or landed in the field i was due to shoot.

Now my dilema is do i set the decoys up in the field that had the small amount on and try to call them in, or just try and shoot them as they flight off the loch sitting lochside under there flightline?

how willing will they be to come to a filed they dont readilly use just beacaue im decoying it?

its been about 5 years since ive been flighting geese and im needing a few pointers? :thumbs:

Well I wished that I had your problem because I would try to decoy them first and be happy if I got one and then have a go at them flighting. But I have never been goose shooting so mine is only general advice.

Whatever happens enjoy it and have a good time, let us know how you get on.

Hi,

Wish it was me who had the problem! Most sporting method is shot the flight line. Pick the day when there is enough wind to keep them low. Decoying in the field ain't as much fun or skill, thats why you have French men paying for it!

So the commercial side of goose shooting has reach up there! The frogies have driven a long way and passed some great geese shoting places on the way up the A9.

You found anyone in the ground yet?

YIS

Alex

Hi,

Wish it was me who had the problem! Most sporting method is shot the flight line. Pick the day when there is enough wind to keep them low. Decoying in the field ain't as much fun or skill, thats why you have French men paying for it!

So the commercial side of goose shooting has reach up there! The frogies have driven a long way and passed some great geese shoting places on the way up the A9.

You found anyone in the ground yet?

YIS

Alex

just back in, we got it wrong decoyed a field of stubble and nothing showed so towards the end of the flight we moved to under the flight line ended up with 2 geese, so not all bad, oh and a cheeky phessie :angel:

the reason the frogs and southerners ae coming this far north is the price they can get shooting for £25 a gun compared to £100-200 a gun further south.

you are better shooting the flightline every time rather than try decoying geese on to a field they have not looked at

the commercial side of goose shooting has gone crazy over the past 5 yrs you are right they get on for £25 per-gun up your way as you said its £100-£200 up north but yes this is per-field so it works out better they just dont know this but also they cant get on anywhere else as for one there are far to many guide's in the north how have it all tied up

and yes us guide's have it all tied up around fife and angus

jack are there many geese in your area at the moment ?????????????

good luck anyway

regards

you are better shooting the flightline every time rather than try decoying geese on to a field they have not looked at

the commercial side of goose shooting has gone crazy over the past 5 yrs you are right they get on for £25 per-gun up your way as you said its £100-£200 up north but yes this is per-field so it works out better they just dont know this but also they cant get on anywhere else as for one there are far to many guide's in the north how have it all tied up

and yes us guide's have it all tied up around fife and angus

jack are there many geese in your area at the moment ?????????????

good luck anyway

regards

Theres not the numbers there used to be say 10 years ago 10000 on a loch was the norm now id put it at 2000, there was a lot a few weeks back but with the mild weather a lot to off over to orkney.

hopefully once the wilder weather returns so will the numbers of geese.

one plus side up here they limit numbers and the tie thewy have to be off the field, so people dont go crazy and slaughter them. who needs more than a couple per gun anyway?

how is it local to you?

Edited by thurso jack

Hello Thursojack we dont have the same numbers we used too down here at montrose & the locals are loosing ground to sporting agents for geese & other sport if they need it.Well done on your 2 geese i have good flight lines but need the right days or fog to keep them down but good fun.You should come down & stand in miks garden :laugh::blink:

Hello Thursojack we dont have the same numbers we used too down here at montrose & the locals are loosing ground to sporting agents for geese & other sport if they need it.Well done on your 2 geese i have good flight lines but need the right days or fog to keep them down but good fun.You should come down & stand in miks garden :laugh::blink:

yeah 2 was better than none, back out the morn on the flightline again so hopefully we will bag a few more then hopefully the wind will keep up so they dont go too high :cry:

plenty geese around down here jack plenty on loch leven also still plenty on the basin and a good amount around the forfar area so yes we are still doing ok with goose numbers

jack good luck for in the morning hope you get the right wind and get under them

regards

wildfowler

cheers ill keep you informed.

25 QUID A FLIGHT THATS CHEAP MOST ARE NOW 75QUID I PREFER TRO SHOOT THE FORE SHORE I AM JUST DOWN FROM YOU HAD 3 PINKS ON THE LAST FLIGHT BUT PREFER TO FILM THEM BOUGHT 2 MUZZLE LOADERS A 6 BORE AND A8 BORE A BIT OF ROMANCE TO THE WILDFOWLING KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY

• 3 weeks later...
Guest HUTCHIE
ok was due to shoot a stubble field tomorrow that i have been watching the geese flighting onto for the last few days, only to discover that the farmer has given it away to some french lads for big bucks no doubt :thumbdown:

he has said i can try anywhere else on the farm, but i watched all the other fields today and only one held geese and only a small group of about 20, the rest either flighted off the loch and went elsewhere or landed in the field i was due to shoot.

Now my dilema is do i set the decoys up in the field that had the small amount on and try to call them in, or just try and shoot them as they flight off the loch sitting lochside under there flightline?

how willing will they be to come to a filed they dont readilly use just beacaue im decoying it?

its been about 5 years since ive been flighting geese and im needing a few pointers? :thumbs:

i would try to decoy first then get as close to the point of the loch where they come off and hammer them keep tryn though best of luck buddy :victory: