Hi I'm currently using a hawke 3-9 x 50mm scope, but can't help feeling I'm struggling with seeing at 50 yards, I'm thinking of getting something like 4-12 x 50mm or 4-16 x 50mm, will the extra magnification be a very noticeable improvement on what I'm using, and will this help reduce my grouping size?

Edited by PJWmids

Hi There

You dont say what make of scope it is. My answer to your question would be 'not necessarily' (in terms of clearer image) as a higher magnification can mean, in some scopes, more lenses and thus more steps between you and the image.

I would say explore different makes at the same mag you've got - as a 1st step. By far the best glass I've looked through is that on the Nikon scopes. Even the cheap ones have great glass. The image was pin sharp, crisp, and the scope seemed to have good light-gathering capacity. Nikon do a cheaper and more expensive range, but i found even the cheap ones were very very good in terms of crisp image. I dont own one, I was just impressed with them when I was in the market for a new scope.

After that, I'd try Hawke, I own a few of these and my latest Panorama EV / IR one is really nice. A thinner crosshair (mill-dot) as well means i can see more of the animal and i'm finding shot placement is more where i intended it to be (only a small improvement, but one i like).

Edited by Dr B

There is a trade-off.

I have two scopes that are 4-16 x50, but I tend not to use them on full magnification. Up to 12x is my norm.

The larger magnification will magnify YOUR movement!

Learn to control your movement by using that extra magnification to see it, and therefore your rifle's movement, and yes, then you will obtain better groups. (All else being equal).

Rod

I think most people would use between 3 - 7x for most everyday shooting, going up to 8-9 rarely.

Hawke scopes are really good, and the glass is good as well - so no problem there. I still say go try the Nikon range and see if you notice the difference in crispness. If you do, go for it.

If Nikon ever teamed up with Hawke, it would be game over for the competitors....

Yes, that's the one I bought last week - stunning scope.

I have an Eclipse (Hawke) scope on my S410k, its about 10 years old, mill-dot. Its a very good scope and is on a par with the Sport you mention (Eclipse is now discontinued I think). Nothing wrong with it. So a thumbs up from me.

However, the Panorama is just in a different league IMO. Better at catching light, so better low-light and the mill-dot is sublime,,,,the etched reticle is nice, the blue / red works well also, Coated glass as well, nice clear image.

Edit - i think you have a choice of crosshair designs in the panorama range - but i just like mill-dots.

Edited by Dr B

I see you're in the midlands, pop along to SFS and have a look, they have the full range there and some of the Nikon scopes as well.

My other question is I've been looking at the hawke sport hd 4-12 x 50 AO IR at £89.99 and the hawke panorama ev 4-12 x 50 ir AO at £155 is the panorama really worth the extra money?

Countryway were doing a deal on the panorama 4-12x40 Map 6 with AO and IR for £99.95 if you like the map 6 reticle.

Why can't you see? You do not say. Is it out of focus? Do you have an adjustable objective lens? Or is it simply what you are trying to look at is too small?

My scope has AO, it's just blurry and small at 9 x mag, I'm looking at a one inch kill zone at 50 yards.

My other question is I've been looking at the hawke sport hd 4-12 x 50 AO IR at £89.99 and the hawke panorama ev 4-12 x 50 ir AO at £155 is the panorama really worth the extra money?

Countryway were doing a deal on the panorama 4-12x40 Map 6 with AO and IR for £99.95 if you like the map 6 reticle.

I use mill dot, but cheers for the heads up.

I use mill dot, but cheers for the heads up.

They did have the 3-9x50 with half mil dot Panorama for £100 delivered last month but I think you are after at least 12x zoom from your above post.

• Like 1

Why can't you see? You do not say. Is it out of focus? Do you have an adjustable objective lens? Or is it simply what you are trying to look at is too small?

My scope has AO, it's just blurry and small at 9 x mag, I'm looking at a one inch kill zone at 50 yards.

Hey PJ

I'm sure you know this, and please forgive me for mentioning it, but you do know that on most hawke scopes there is also a focus ring on the eye-piece? So you have your AO, and your mag, but also the focus ring as well. If this is out it will give a blurry image depending on your mag range.

Apologies if you know this and have played with this.

Top tip is to ensure for say mid-range magnification the crosshair and the target are both in focus at the zero range. So when you switch your attention to the target, the crosshair should not fall out of focus. If it does, its the eye piece that needs adjusting.