Simple 4X40 Does The Job

well been out this morning sick of having a big heavy scope on my tx200,so i had the above in the shed zeroed it in first rabbit 35 yard head shot second a crow i measured this at 45 yards head shot ahain stone dead,waited 20 minutes for another crow to come and have a look at the owl decoy with the crow at its feet shooting from the van at 40 yards got it straight through the neck as it mooved its head as i took the shot,no more spending hundreds on scopes for me

• Like 2

I agree in many ways, but I like the modern scopes in terms of their more refined crosshairs, and better quality glass. I have an old Simmons on my tx. Great scope, claimed plenty of quarry with it. Basic - but does the job. However, i've decied to replace it at the end of April when funds allow.

My Hawke scopes are more modern, treated glass, better cross-hairs and I just like them more - so I reckon its a personal thing. Nevertheless, I certainly share your general view that the difference is probably smaller than many think, and in many ways, bells and whistles dont always mean 'better'.

• Like 1

I was surprised at this scope as it come of my daughters ratcatcher the glass is very good and it has a lovely thick cross going thin in the middle,and it makes my kit much lighter

• 3 weeks later...

I used a Japanese 4x40 Apollo 4star on my .22 rimfire for a long time. The same scope is now on my theoben sirocco carbine, a very good clear scope that I'll never consider selling. Seen the end of more rabbits and squirrels than I can remember.

• Like 1

i temember that well mate,how things have mooved on these days

And I am not sure its always for the better, I think there is a tendency to over egg the cake so to speak, I reckon most airgun and rimfire shooters, (myself included) would shoot just as much with a simple fixed power scope, as a fully loaded modern affair.

i temember that well mate,how things have mooved on these days

And I am not sure its always for the better, I think there is a tendency to over egg the cake so to speak, I reckon most airgun and rimfire shooters, (myself included) would shoot just as much with a simple fixed power scope, as a fully loaded modern affair.

Utterly agree! Whilst I know little about HFT and FT, I have a 3-9X40 Hawke that never leaves X6 magnification and is brilliant. A friend had a Niko Stirling mountmaster 6X40 AO and that's ideal for hunting with a great depth of view.

• Like 1