The Ultimate Duffus trap & (D)Evolution Of The Duffus Trap

I've sent Flatpack an e-mail summarising what I've said on here; basically going back to their original Stainless Ultimate trap but with a couple of modifications. The mods I've suggested are a thicker retaining wire as per the original Duffus to better contain the extra tension brought about with making narrower traps, and slightly longer trigger loops that are angled forwards towards the trapping loops.

I put all my latest batch of Flatpack Ultimate traps through a vice last week to squeeze them down to 65mm across the body rather than the 74mm size they are now manufactured in. The older, original Flatpack Ultimate traps are 65mm wide and fit better into the mole tunnel. I have had some difficulty in fitting the larger traps into tunnels especially in the stony soil I encounter in the western part of my patch. Now that all my traps are the same, narrower width I found it much easier to place them which was a God send as all three new jobs were in very stony soil.

I do hope that Flatpack revert back to their original Ultimate trap with or without the mods I've suggested.

• Like 1

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Very true Tiercel...   I have always faught shy of educating folk about any form of trapping,.more so, the activities that earn't my wages. Many times, I have been asked by reps and suchlike, to g

I was gonna, but i thought i had pushed things too far tonight. I didnt want a rambo style attack, as you would have no doubt, broke a nail or two   If this project comes off, i can see a bright fu

As i understand it, prototypes should be available within weeks. As for production, i suppose that all depends on if the prototypes need any alterations done and everyone is happy with them.   The

I have every confidence that flatpack will produce a good workable trap that everyone will be happy with. :thumbs:

Like Matt has said, anyone with an interest in owning a superior half barrel trap should register thier interest in this project. A simple email to flatpack letting them know that folk want this done and dusted would be good.

You know it makes sense ;)

Many thanks to all the guys who have put forward measurements and specifications to the manufacturers of these traps.

I have no practical skills,..I can catch most anything , and can train a dog,.but other than that, I am a wee bit backward..SO,..once again,.many thanks...

And now we wait... :thumbs:

Sounds promising this and great to have suppliers listen to their customers.

to be honest i think thats the best bit...we have a manufacturer that is willing to listen and change a already selling product, into some thing much for fit for use

its been said said before but well done to the flat pack company!

Sounds promising this and great to have suppliers listen to their customers.

to be honest i think thats the best bit...we have a manufacturer that is willing to listen and change a already selling product, into some thing much for fit for use

its been said said before but well done to the flat pack company!

I got told today another 15 traps I had on order for a week could be another two at least there that busy . I hope they find the time to have a go at putting this new trap together .

I picked up seven traps from a job yesterday that hadn't yet been modified. When I got to them today I found that had five of the latest version of the S/S Ultimate trap that are 74mm wide, one at 70mm wide that is from the second batch of Ultimate S/S traps ordered a year before, and one that is 65mm wide that is from the original batch I got over two years ago. Other than the width and flatter profile of the traps which is a backward step IMO the other noticeable difference is that the steel used in the older two traps is considerably thicker and shinier than the later traps. I have a friend who is going to loan me a micrometer next week and it will be interesting to see just what the difference is. The wires seem to be the same and I don't notice any difference in the power of the springs so it seems that it is just the size, shape and thickness of the bodies that has been changed.

I do hope they can go back to the narrower traps as it makes it a Hell of a lot easier to plant them.

No news as yet guys.

I'm guessing, judging by the number of comments about waiting times, that FP are still very busy....

I'll be in contact with them again later this week for an update; I don't want to nag them too much as it may be counter productive :thumbs:

I wonder how long it would take for them to modify, test and market them? Can we expect to see them available for sale in the next few months or next year, do you think?

well ive just got 20 more talpex and got 20 more on order so ime not holding my breath....intill then ime NOT putting a duffus in the ground..ime simply fed up of the dam things so ile hold out for the good un